Author Topic: Why is Harry so Tall?  (Read 4175 times)

Offline Feral Plum

• Participant
    • View Profile
Why is Harry so Tall?
« on: October 07, 2020, 06:06:53 AM »
One way or another, NBA height comes down to bloodline.
Malcolm was not huge, we've sort of seen him, and there is no mention of it. Ebenezer is 2 inches below average. I make that 5'8". Thomas is 6'. Harry is, I think 6'8" or 6'9". Ethniu was 9' and a giant.
Now we have Mac who seems to be a watcher or ex-angel. There are legends that angels mating with humans begot giants. Mac seems to be Ethniu's ex.
"Sometimes Lug’s father is called Mac Cennfaelad (anglicized MacKineally or similar)"
I wonder if there is some watcher bloodline around. Mac may have had some very personal reasons for arriving in Chicago just about the time Harry did.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Harry so Tall?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 10:41:35 PM »
Ebeneezer is also very old. A quick google says he was probably average height in his day. Still doesn't explain how Harry is so tall.

Offline ElJefe81

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 11:05:27 PM »
Kind of makes you think Malcolm isn't Harry's biological father...All sorts of questions how Margaret would wind up with Malcolm given the crowds she frequented.  I think most likely situation is either Malcolm entered the picture as a convenient dupe and either didn't know (or didn't care) that Harry wasn't his OR he entered the picture right as/after Harry was born and took him in.  We've seen enough of his nature that either is possible.  And in no way does that diminish the impact he had on Harry.  Even if he's not biologically his, he inherited his good nature.

WAG--Erlking is his father.  There's something interesting about how the Erlking is described (asymmetrical face but ruggedly handsome) that kind of lines up with Harry not being your prototypical Hollywood leading man but still does well for himself in terms of getting women attracted to him.  Then you also have the multiple times they have encountered each other and the Erlking respecting Harry despite the circumstances.  And also Mab's hints that Harry could be immortal.  Now go and pick this guess apart!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 01:44:07 AM »

Genetics are interesting, now my parents were six feet and five foot six respectively, but my
brothers were six foot eight and six foot five, I'm five foot seven..  So where did all that height in the case of my brothers are concerned?  Well, apparently my mother's uncles were all very tall.  We only know approximately how tall Malcolm was, not sure about Eb, just guessing because I don't believe he has ever been described as tall or as a little guy, might be average height.  But brothers, sisters, uncles, and aunts we have no clue, grand parents, great grand parents, there might be more height in Harry's family than we know.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 03:29:31 AM »
WAG--Erlking is his father.  There's something interesting about how the Erlking is described (asymmetrical face but ruggedly handsome) that kind of lines up with Harry not being your prototypical Hollywood leading man but still does well for himself in terms of getting women attracted to him.  Then you also have the multiple times they have encountered each other and the Erlking respecting Harry despite the circumstances.  And also Mab's hints that Harry could be immortal.  Now go and pick this guess apart!
I like where that's going. The Erlking also knew his mother's necklace, rather easily too. Then there's the comment about her visits ...

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 03:44:35 AM »
I like where that's going. The Erlking also knew his mother's necklace, rather easily too. Then there's the comment about her visits ...

Hey my guess, and I wrote a thread about it is Rashid is Harry's dad, he and Margaret did roam the Ways together, and he seems to come to Harry's rescue more often than not.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 03:52:46 PM »
I dunno. Feels too Christian to me, if Malcolm is really only the Josef in the story and not the actual dad who got a love-baby with Maggie le Fay.

However I am totally up for Rashid or the Erlking as his other GRANDdad. Maybe that's even how M&M met, hanging out with Malcolm's dad. ;)

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 04:10:16 PM »
I dunno. Feels too Christian to me, if Malcolm is really only the Josef in the story and not the actual dad who got a love-baby with Maggie le Fay.

However I am totally up for Rashid or the Erlking as his other GRANDdad. Maybe that's even how M&M met, hanging out with Malcolm's dad. ;)

That is just as interesting. The Erlking could be anywhere in Harry's family tree for that matter.

Offline Feral Plum

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 05:22:57 PM »
Since Harry has been described as NBA tall since the first book, we have grown used to it.
Harry is not a giant, but now we know there are watchers/ex-angels around, there may be giant influenced bloodlines around. And if Mac was been watching anybody....
My suspicion is that there is something about Ebenezer's wife. By now we should have had some information about her. If she is in the magic community, we may even have met her.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 06:38:20 PM »
Since Harry has been described as NBA tall since the first book, we have grown used to it.
Harry is not a giant, but now we know there are watchers/ex-angels around, there may be giant influenced bloodlines around. And if Mac was been watching anybody....
My suspicion is that there is something about Ebenezer's wife. By now we should have had some information about her. If she is in the magic community, we may even have met her.

Rashid is NBA tall... But that is a generalization, a few years back one of the NBA teams had a player right around five feet tall giver or take a few inches, he was good too.  I cannot remember his name though, okay basketball fans, there is some trivia for you to look up.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 08:10:25 PM »
Tyrone Curtis "Muggsy" Bogues was 5'3". He's the one from Space Jam.

Offline Just Al

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 09:00:22 PM »
Please remember, genetics isn't necessarily deterministic. There is always an element of chance in any recombination of genes being passed to an offspring.

Many years ago, when I was a high school teacher, I had a student who was "Harry Tall" (6'9" IIRC). His parents were about my height (5'10").

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 09:17:37 PM »
Tyrone Curtis "Muggsy" Bogues was 5'3". He's the one from Space Jam.

Thank you, sort of remembered the name, Muggsy, but I didn't want to say it and be wrong. Consider though, he was Murphy size and a star in the NBA>

Many years ago, when I was a high school teacher, I had a student who was "Harry Tall" (6'9" IIRC). His parents were about my height (5'10").

That was the case in my family, in fact a friend of my father, who hadn't seen him in many years, actually did not believe my father was the father of my brothers because they were both "Harry Tall."

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 09:45:54 PM »
Observation:

Among the Fae, height indicates power.

WAG:

Harry's mother spent a lot of time in the Nevernever while pregnant. Benefit: It enhanced Harry's power and incidentally made him taller.

Intent: She was targeting his birthtime exactly by using a mix of slower-time and faster-time locations. Thomas was the dry run, hence his birthday on exactly Valentine's. By changing her subjective timeline relative to objective time, she could ensure Harry's birth at the optimum time to produce a starborn. Side effect: He's tall.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 10:45:03 PM »
Not just the fae, but those with the blood of the NN, harry is tall because his heritage is important. The more important your role, the taller you are. MW is described as the tallest shadow, because she's the most important next to MS. Not sure anyone surpasses them.
*In the order of reality, of course there are things possibly bigger. But they don't have a role inside.
I'm more interested in say Nic and Eb being so short. Eb especially, it's not a lack of power..
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 10:47:24 PM by The_Sibelis »