Author Topic: Murphy's Gun [Battle Ground Spoilers]  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Murphy's Gun [Battle Ground Spoilers]
« on: October 06, 2020, 07:34:39 PM »
It probably doesn't matter, but did Harry ever use Murphy's gun?  He made a point to grab her Sig and the extra magazines, but then I don't recall him ever using it.  Even at the end when Marcone asks if he has a gun, Harry doesn't say he does (or doesn't).  Did he use it or lose it somewhere along the way?

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy's Gun [Battle Ground Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 08:15:00 PM »
I don't think it's ever mentioned again. He even named it. Talk about Chekov's gun not going off.

Given his state, I wouldn't be surprised if he forgot he had it. I know I did. Maybe that's why Marcone didn't go for the spear and eye. Harry told Marcone he didn't have a gun, but Marcone knew he did. Marcone thought Harry was baiting him. We've seen Denarians taken out with a single bullet before, so we know it was a threat.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 08:29:12 PM »
I'm also not sure where the coach gun went.  He had it still in chapter 16, and didn't mention it again.  It was in its holster, and then poof.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 12:39:39 AM »
I don't think it's ever mentioned again. He even named it. Talk about Chekov's gun not going off.

Given his state, I wouldn't be surprised if he forgot he had it. I know I did. Maybe that's why Marcone didn't go for the spear and eye. Harry told Marcone he didn't have a gun, but Marcone knew he did. Marcone thought Harry was baiting him. We've seen Denarians taken out with a single bullet before, so we know it was a threat.

I think Marcone did not go for the Eye because a) Harry had the Spear  b) deep down, Marcone don't want to risk a Denarian near the Eye, he thinks Harry is a better keeper.

I wondered about "backup" too, as I was sure he was going to use it against someone trying to catch the Eye. Now, Harry told Murph that he was borrowing it. He planned to give it back to her body, but when he was back to see her, she had been taken by Odin. So, I guess he still have it. Perhaps he will use it in future books. Of course, foreshadowing would be that he would use it against Rudolph, this time in self defense.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 12:46:33 AM »
I think Marcone did not go for the Eye because a) Harry had the Spear.
Harry didn't have the spear at that point. It was as far from him as the eye.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 01:29:15 AM »
Same difference, if Marcone went for the Eye he would expose himself to Harry grabbing the Spear.
I also have a suspicion that perhaps the Spear can actually kill a Fallen.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 01:32:00 AM »
Same difference, if Marcone went for the Eye he would expose himself to Harry grabbing the Spear.
I also have a suspicion that perhaps the Spear can actually kill a Fallen.
from how it's described I think it can kill anything if it has the chance. It creates its own reality around it defining it as a spear. It's a spear to anything, anything at all. It's not a huge powerful weapon, (which was slightly disappointing) but a weapon that cannot be ignored by anything for what it is. It makes sense at least. Though I would have preferred something more flashy.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 01:37:46 AM »
I read it as they were next to each other or close. I'm going to have to read it again, at least once, before I can just remember that level of detail.

from how it's described I think it can kill anything if it has the chance. It creates its own reality around it defining it as a spear. It's a spear to anything, anything at all. It's not a huge powerful weapon, (which was slightly disappointing) but a weapon that cannot be ignored by anything for what it is. It makes sense at least. Though I would have preferred something more flashy.
Yes.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 01:41:02 AM »
So, even when Marcone has been his composed self, the Fallen must have been terrified and trying to force him to just leave Harry alone. Because if Harry could gather an ounce of his power to throw the Spear to him he would not even need to walk to it. The risk was too high.

Which again, reminds me that the Spear is not mentioned at the end, we don't know what happened to it. Perhaps Justine took it. Perhaps a Denarian. Perhaps Harry took it for a secret purpose and does not tell the readers.
Missing you, Md 

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 01:54:32 AM »
It's mentioned, harry takes it apart and puts the dagger back in it's sheath.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 01:56:05 AM »
Yes, and then...? He gave the pokeball back at Alfred but he never mentioned to do the same with the Spear.
Missing you, Md 

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 02:03:55 AM »
Yes, and then...? He gave the pokeball back at Alfred but he never mentioned to do the same with the Spear.
this... Reminds me of his pentacle in CDs. If anything important happened to it I'm sure it would have been mentioned, Jim likely just didn't think to specify beyond harry took it back apart.

Offline riff.freelance

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 02:07:44 PM »
My honest feel, is this was Dresden getting a new "primary carry" so that Murph is always with him on the battlefield in a very round about way... but that it needed to be said when it was so that he *still* had it it when Murph's body was taken/gone.  It's still a Chekhov's Gun moment, but it's pay off wasn't for this book. I imagine there will be some pay off with Mirror Murphy in Mirror, Mirror and perhaps with real Murph somewhen down the line.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 04:59:59 PM »
Forget Murphy’s gun, where was Sasha hiding a Kalashnikov?

Backup is important, he had something personal of Murphy’s when her body disappeared. Thats the significance of it.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 05:40:25 PM »
My honest feel, is this was Dresden getting a new "primary carry" so that Murph is always with him on the battlefield in a very round about way... but that it needed to be said when it was so that he *still* had it it when Murph's body was taken/gone.  It's still a Chekhov's Gun moment, but it's pay off wasn't for this book. I imagine there will be some pay off with Mirror Murphy in Mirror, Mirror and perhaps with real Murph somewhen down the line.

Forget Murphy’s gun, where was Sasha hiding a Kalashnikov?

Backup is important, he had something personal of Murphy’s when her body disappeared. Thats the significance of it.

I agree with both of you, it will be significant later, but stil I feel disappointed is not mentioned again in the aftermath of BG. Even to say that Harry throw a mournful glaze at it or something. It's not a major problem anyway, just something I would have liked to see in print.
Missing you, Md