Author Topic: Anyone Else Surprised or Disappointed That Harry  (Read 21581 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Else Surprised or Disappointed That Harry
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2020, 05:05:49 PM »
No, if it made him more dead, then he might have been all dead. Then all Mab could have done was look for loose change.  Remember what she said about the spectrum of dead.. Harry was only mostly dead, he never was all dead, he was still slightly alive when he hit the water, Mab and the cold she most likely cranked up kept him from bleeding out and his shock under control till she got him to Demonreach.
She could make another body available.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2020, 05:20:25 PM »
we don't even know what all dead IS. Corpse taker got shot in the face, she could still try to make a comeback.
It's  a state implied and inferred in the Dresden Files but not actually seen.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2020, 07:19:04 PM »
She could make another body available.

I think that is beyond even Mab's talents.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2020, 07:49:37 PM »
I think that is beyond even Mab's talents.
Corps taker could do it.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2020, 08:56:02 PM »
But another body wouldn't have Harry's talents. Remember what happened with Luccio. Also, probably not a starborn.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2020, 09:05:02 PM »
Why?  She never knew her mother, while both Harry and Kincaid were the only two people that  acknowledged that she even was a human child.  Until she met Harry at the age of seven or so she didn't have a name other than, "the Archive."  And no, it wasn't a hard shot for Kincaid, he isn't totally human lets not forget.  His fear about doing a chest shot is Harry would live long enough to throw his death curse at him.

The Archive records everything. Why would it not retain host memories?

She should know her mother precisely, and her grandmother, back to the beginning of the Archive.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2020, 09:20:24 PM »
But another body wouldn't have Harry's talents. Remember what happened with Luccio. Also, probably not a starborn.
from what EB said it's the energy of their existence not necessarily anything in particular about their blood or body that makes a starborn. So though the change in talent/power level might be an issue I don't think it would change his resonant frequency.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2020, 10:57:37 PM »

She should know her mother precisely, and her grandmother, back to the beginning of the Archive.

Well, apparently it doesn't work that way, plus with wizards it is a matter of how they are wired neurologically.  I think it was in Fool Moon, Harry was having some problems fighting and got bailed out by Terra West and the Alphas , but what I am getting at is he almost blacked out and he said that some of the new skills he was trying weren't fully settled into his nervous system or something to that effect.  Luccio said essentially the same thing after the Corpsetaker got her, she enjoys sex as a woman with a twenty something year old body should, however she can no longer make custom Warden swords anymore, the "how to" is still in her brain, but the wiring to get the magical skill out her fingers to forge a sword are not there.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2020, 12:39:42 AM »

Didn't Luccio say something to that effect when she was explaining why Harry shouldn't get close to Ivy?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2020, 02:39:23 AM »
Didn't Luccio say something to that effect when she was explaining why Harry shouldn't get close to Ivy?

Here is what she says about the Archive's memory page 407 Small Favor

"When the Archive is passed. . . Harry, try to imagine living your life, with all of its triumps and tragedies--and suddenly with a second set of memories, every bit as real to you as your own.  A second set of heartaches, loves, triumphs, losses.  All of them as real--and then a third.  And a forth.  And a fifth. And more and more and more.  The perfect memory, the absolute recall of every Archive that came before you.  Five thousand years of them."

Conclusion, it would drive anyone insane.

So the Archive came up with a solution.. same page Small Favor;

"The Archive keeps its host emotionally remote for a reason--because otherwise the passions and prejudices and hatreds and jealousies of thousands of lifetimes have the potential to distill themselves into a single being."

Goes on to say normally an Archive host has a lifetime of experience to insulate her from all of this. However Ivy has none of it, her grandmother died in that crash and her mother suicided rather than carry the Archive because she was jealous of her own baby[Ivy] who'd have a lifetime of freedom while she was forced to host the Archive, so she killed herself.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2020, 05:27:50 AM »
So, I've just reread the scene in PT when Harry first sees Ivy after a long time. I was wrong. He explicitly wonders where Kinkaid is and he tries to catch Ivy's gaze, but with no luck (he says that she did not see him or ignored him, I bet is the latter). So, all makes more sense. Harry is normal, and oblivious of all the pain he brought Ivy and Kinkaid. Ivy is probably avoiding him, probably because she is angry.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2020, 06:31:11 AM »
So, I've just reread the scene in PT when Harry first sees Ivy after a long time. I was wrong. He explicitly wonders where Kinkaid is and he tries to catch Ivy's gaze, but with no luck (he says that she did not see him or ignored him, I bet is the latter). So, all makes more sense. Harry is normal, and oblivious of all the pain he brought Ivy and Kinkaid. Ivy is probably avoiding him, probably because she is angry.

I wouldn't call it oblivious to the pain if he doesn't know about it, and who'd have told him?  Ivy was in full Archive mode, as such, she would ignore Harry, you will notice she showed no emotion when she was a "lawn mower" against the Fomor when she mowed them down.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2020, 06:35:55 AM »
I agree about Ivy, but that is not explicitly stated in the books. My post was about what I just read in the test. And yes, in BG is textual (literal) that she shows no emotion. But why? Everybody can have an opinion.

And forgive my English, I meant Harry was unaware of the problems his suicide caused between Ivy and Kinkaid. I think he had guessed Ivy did not know about what happened. Still, I said before that Harry is a lousy friend, specially with Ivy. He only needed to write her a not every month or so and things would have been completely different.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2020, 12:20:43 PM »

And forgive my English, I meant Harry was unaware of the problems his suicide caused between Ivy and Kinkaid. I think he had guessed Ivy did not know about what happened. Still, I said before that Harry is a lousy friend, specially with Ivy. He only needed to write her a not every month or so and things would have been completely different.

Your English is better than mine and English is my first language!  Suicides are unaware of the pain they cause others, just their own pain.  Harry was isolated from Chicago for a year when Mab would not let him contact anyone, and he was pretty busy the rest of the time, Ivy isn't someone he saw every day, nor Kincaid, so how would he know?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2020, 01:13:15 PM »
Your English is better than mine and English is my first language!  Suicides are unaware of the pain they cause others, just their own pain.  Harry was isolated from Chicago for a year when Mab would not let him contact anyone, and he was pretty busy the rest of the time, Ivy isn't someone he saw every day, nor Kincaid, so how would he know?
He could guess but he was too busy with himself. It is one of his problems.
SH[Elaine+++]