Author Topic: Anyone Else Surprised or Disappointed That Harry  (Read 21580 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Else Surprised or Disappointed That Harry
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2020, 10:01:26 AM »
There were several occasions when Mab knew what Harry was doing immediately without being there in person. In cold days when Harry wanted to ignore winter law she acted immediately and at the end she indicated that she was waiting for Harry summoning her. He probably could have done that earlier.

TBH I just assumed that Mab was there waiting for it because she expected Harry to try and kill himself to get out of being her Knight because that was very much a Harry thing to do.
I do not think she expected it but she was watching him anyway.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2020, 11:55:41 AM »
Mab or the Gatekeeper almost always know where Harry is.  And the banner effect would seem to put the coda on it.  She felt him dying.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2020, 12:14:44 PM »
There were several occasions when Mab knew what Harry was doing immediately without being there in person. In cold days when Harry wanted to ignore winter law she acted immediately and at the end she indicated that she was waiting for Harry summoning her. He probably could have done that earlier.
I do not think she expected it but she was watching him anyway.
She added in an explicit no suicides clause to the deal because she was expecting him to go for it right after he got what he wanted.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 01:00:03 PM by TheCuriousFan »
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2020, 12:41:16 PM »
Se added in an explicit no suicides clause to the deal because she was expecting him to go for it right after he got what he wanted.
And that clause should be enough if he had not arranged it previously.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2020, 02:40:22 PM »
StrayDog, well, whenever you have time, read "Goodbye". Is a microfiction, it's in the official JB site and it saves you discussion time. In fact, here is the link, just move pass the trailer announcement.
https://www.jim-butcher.com/posts/2020/microfiction-3-con-swap-and-virtual-signing

Also, I understand. I have not read Zoo Day, for instance (no money to buy Brief Cases) or the comics (same reason).

Thanks you for posting the link. Seems my contention is with the author who appears to be attempting some retcon as a step for future events. Lowers my impression of his writing of late which makes me sad.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2020, 02:53:59 PM »
Thanks you for posting the link. Seems my contention is with the author who appears to be attempting some retcon as a step for future events. Lowers my impression of his writing of late which makes me sad.
It is in line with my thoughts about Kincaid. He can not really refuse to pay of a debt.
But he has some feelings about it otherwise he would not have to remind himself at the end.
SH[Elaine+++]

Online The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2020, 03:01:08 PM »
You know... While getting shot in the head might have made harry more dead than he was, it wouldn't necessarily stop him from coming back.. so what if Ivy was actually worried about the thing growing inside that brain that could not yet survive independently instead?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2020, 03:22:13 PM »
While I agree with you to an extent the shot in Changes was foreshadowed in Blood Rites as well as Kincaid's ability to make the shot.  Harry points out that Kincaid must be superhuman since he never misses. Speaking of the fight at Wrigley field Harry says.
"In a fight, just plain folks miss sometimes. Maybe most times. You didn't miss once."
Kincaid tells him later how he would do it.
"No. So I'd use a rifle at a thousand yards. The bullet outruns its own sonic boom, and you'd never even hear the shot. You'd be dead before you realized what happened."

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2020, 03:45:22 PM »
You know... While getting shot in the head might have made harry more dead than he was, it wouldn't necessarily stop him from coming back.. so what if Ivy was actually worried about the thing growing inside that brain that could not yet survive independently instead?

No, if it made him more dead, then he might have been all dead. Then all Mab could have done was look for loose change.  Remember what she said about the spectrum of dead.. Harry was only mostly dead, he never was all dead, he was still slightly alive when he hit the water, Mab and the cold she most likely cranked up kept him from bleeding out and his shock under control till she got him to Demonreach.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2020, 03:57:39 PM »

That is an incredibly intriguing thought!!! Could have also been a great way to float the theory that Harry was immortal without giving too much away.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2020, 04:09:03 PM »
While I agree with you to an extent the shot in Changes was foreshadowed in Blood Rites as well as Kincaid's ability to make the shot.  Harry points out that Kincaid must be superhuman since he never misses. Speaking of the fight at Wrigley field Harry says. Kincaid tells him later how he would do it.

It is undeniable that Kincaid can make the shot being a scion and all. That was never the question. Would have been more believable to me to give Kincaid the ability to kinetically tweek the bullet in flight.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2020, 04:11:24 PM »
No, if it made him more dead, then he might have been all dead. Then all Mab could have done was look for loose change.  Remember what she said about the spectrum of dead.. Harry was only mostly dead, he never was all dead, he was still slightly alive when he hit the water, Mab and the cold she most likely cranked up kept him from bleeding out and his shock under control till she got him to Demonreach.

Mira,
With the greatest of respect, I'm uninterested in continuing this segment of the conversation. Suffice to say, agree to disagree. No need to post just to get in the last bark.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2020, 04:36:15 PM »
It is undeniable that Kincaid can make the shot being a scion and all. That was never the question. Would have been more believable to me to give Kincaid the ability to kinetically tweek the bullet in flight.
Jim leaves room for the imagination, he supplies the foundation, your imagination supplies the tweak.

Online The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2020, 04:37:13 PM »
No, if it made him more dead, then he might have been all dead.
we don't even know what all dead IS. Corpse taker got shot in the face, she could still try to make a comeback.

Offline Telynn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2020, 04:40:40 PM »
we don't even know what all dead IS. Corpse taker got shot in the face, she could still try to make a comeback.

No kidding.  The Genoskwa got completely pancaked in SG, but according to River Shoulders he's still alive and gunning for Harry.