Author Topic: 2 Questions on Bob. Number 2, The Big One, Did He Reveal Mirror Mirror Plot?  (Read 5102 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile

Okay, the first important question I have is, is Bob once again living with Harry?  Butters hands him to Harry in a backpack in the battle, Bob goes into a lot of stuff, hold that thought will get into that in a minute.  So okay,I can see Butters doing that, Harry needs all the help he can get in the battle.  Butters himself has advanced in his Knight training to the point where he may no longer need Bob to be successful.  There also might be some Holy Knight ethics questions around using an entity like Bob in a fight that Holy Knights are involved in.  I actually think that unlikely because Sanya uses an AK-47 or rather the Russian version of that that I can't spell and it isn't a problem.  I am thinking that Butters indeed gave Bob back to Harry, because Harry used him to scan the castle's wards and to check further for traps after Marcone vacated it.  Now he still might be on loan, but I do think Bob is back with him.. Which brings up a couple of more questions, 1] is Bob going to tutor Bonea now? 2] Is Harry going to have to keep her locked up when she gets older, least he suddenly becomes inundated with a bunch of infant Bobs? ::)

2] The BIG QUESTION, did Bob give us a huge preview of what Mirror Mirror is all about?  Why else would in the middle of the battle when things are going to hell would Bob map this out for two or three paragraphs?  I know others have written about this so I apologize for repeating some of it.

A] Reality can break.

1] I got the impression from what Bob said, that the Eye can do it.  Unless it was an illusion Harry put a stop to it when he bound the Titan and shipped her off to Demonreach.

2] However there is another way this can happen.. Ferrofax, Bob confirms that.  We know he said he was going to limit what he was going to do to help in Peace Talks.page289
"My contribution to the defense must be subtle," Ferrofax said.  "To do otherwise
would be to risk destroying more of the city than I save."
What if he meant more than a fricking earthquake, but reality itself. What if though he tried to be subtle, but it is hard to be when you are one of the primal forces in the universe. Collateral damage is always a risk, in this case, it is reality.
2] page 156 Battle Ground
"Chaos," Bob said.
"More specfic?"
"Impossible!  Widespread insanity for the mortals, maybe.  Maybe transmissible insanity.  Hallucinations, tulpas, and outright unintentional creation of things right out of people's imaginations.  Animals and people changing form or nature.  The breakdown of Newtonian physics.  Hell, even quantum-level rules might change, with the consequences that are literally unimaginable.
Two plus two might equal five.  Twilight Zonestuff.  I don't know.  No one knows.  You cannot predict chaos because it's chaos, Harry.

So maybe it starts slowly, have we seen perhaps some evidence that this might be beginning to happen?  Marcone/Namshiel being so cooperative with Harry for starters.  While yes, Marcone wanted to save his city, but can you really see Namshiel handing over the Eye that easily to Harry? Or in fact Marcone handing over his castle?  Reality frayed just a bit maybe?  While Namshiel isn't, Marcone even as host is still a mortal.

The White Council, all mortals, powerful wizards, true, but still mortal.  While we knew before it all hit the fan that they wanted to vote out Harry, a couple of things don't seem quite right.  They declare that Harry violated the First Law when he killed some Turtlenecks with magic.  Sentenced him to death, ordering the Blackstaff to do it, then suspended the sentence.  Does that not seem just a bit off to you?  Then there is Carlos coming to Harry to give him their verdict is also a bit off.
I am talking specifically his rant about if Harry had only leveled with him, talked to him, Drakul and Mavra wouldn't have showed up and did what they did.  Further that sixty thousand people wouldn't have died in Chicago.  Really?  Harry could have talked all day to Carlos, that wouldn't have changed any of that. Though back to reality, I can see Carlos being very pissed about what Harry did putting that hex on his cloak..

So, here is where we are in the next book.  Reality is cracking and someone has to go back and somehow prevent Ferrofax from doing the damage he did..  Not a small order..  As far as the Laws of Magic are concerned, in this case in for a penny, in for a pound.  He is already accused of breaking the First Law, technically another when he raised Sue, and bonding Toot to him with pizza, so what is one more? Time.. I also predict that the "British Prisoner " is Merlin.  Harry is going to wake him up to ask for advice..  Historically/methodologically speaking Merlin has lots of experience with dragons, most likely knows Ferrofax personally, also knows time travel...   So Harry begins his quest and the first problem he encounters is how to tell reality from the alternate reality, and the temptations he might encounter not to return things back to the way they should be.. I don't know, Murphy lives and isn't killed, his father and mother never were murdered, hell he might decide he would prefer it if he never was born a wizard at all.. His second problem, dealing with Ferrofax.  So, we shall see.. ::)

Oh and one more thought, since Chandler was booted into with might be an alternate reality by
Drakul, Harry meets up with him.  Chandler then becomes Harry's "Spock" if you will, keeping him grounded on what is real and what is not.  If anyone makes it back to this reality with Harry, it is going to be Chandler. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 02:51:31 PM by Mira »

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile

Oh and one more thought, since Chandler was booted into with might be an alternate reality by
Drakul, Harry meets up with him.  Chandler then becomes Harry's "Spock" if you will, keeping him grounded on what is real and what is not.  If anyone makes it back to this reality with Harry, it is going to be Chandler.

I kinda thought this played into Chandler being Black Council Cowl more than anything. The others were taken to be eaten/changed into Blamps and Chandler was sucked into nothingness. (Or some dark, dank, mildew-smelling dampness)

Cheers!

Brien

Online The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Woj is Bob became an adjunct of the KotC because butters was using him for such things.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
First in my not so humble opinion ;), Harry is Merlin and he isn't going to tell himself anything. Second, Bob previewed what will happen when the Outsiders break through. Third, Bob lives on the shelf in the basement workshop. A lab must have a lab assistant. ;) 8)

He's telegraphed the plot of Mirror Mirror.  A body switch like what Corpsetaker does might be in order, which is more or less like the TOS Mirror Mirror, then some kind of nasty surprise, like Susan trying to eat him or finding himself in the Middle of a shootout with Murphy and the MIB. The plot of the Star Trek version used the conceit that it was easier for Good Kirk to act bad than for Bad Kirk to act good.  But your guess is as good as mine.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I think this also explained something about the Darkhallow, it’s a reality breaking event in its own right but one of more narrow focus, creating a dark god.

And no Harry won’t become Merlin, he will do a Darkhallow and become Odin, and god knows how many others. It’s one way to get Murphy back.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
I think this also explained something about the Darkhallow, it’s a reality breaking event in its own right but one of more narrow focus, creating a dark god.

And no Harry won’t become Merlin, he will do a Darkhallow and become Odin, and god knows how many others. It’s one way to get Murphy back.

What about becoming a god in his own right?  No, I don't see Harry doing either unless he is forced to in the BAT.  And no, I don't think he will get Murphy back, however he may see her in the alternate universe, and finds out that he is doing time for the murder of Kim Delaney, because Murphy, now a captain in the P.D. made her rep in that case..

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
We will definitely see MM-Murphy

I agree what most of what you said in your first post, Mira, but I think Namshel left him the Eye because Harry had probably the most terrible weapon against Denarians around. It was simply too risky. Beside, they don't know how to use it so it was not an immediate benefit for them.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
1. Harry would absolutely not want Bob around to help teach the daughter of a fallen angel.  Bonea likely has more knowledge, much more magical knowledge, than Bob has and no context of how to use it and Bob has only a limited understanding of morality.  Also, remember that Bob absorbs or takes on some aspect the personality of the holder of the skull.  So any moral improvement Bob may have picked up under Butters will be diminished by being around the Winter Knight.  Harry can act appropriately around Bonea, but because of their working relationship, he is always going to be more unfiltered around Bob and I don't think that's a good thing. 

Harry isn't a monster, but just barely.  He has to fight the temptation to cut loose all the time.  My guess is that until Harry gets some anger management training from River Shoulders, he is a time bomb waiting to go off.  In Peace Talks, Harry worried that he could be out of control with anger the way Ebenezer was.  Murphy replied, "There's a difference between you and him... Yeah. You've got me."  Harry doesn't have Murphy any longer.  Sure, Harry got his act together for the big battle, but that was only after getting burned by Fidelacchius.  Long-term, Harry still has some serious work to do before it would be good for him to possess Bob.

2. How, no make that why would Harry use The Eye?  Also, why would Ferrovax cross into the mortal world in his true form?  Without further context I don't think either of these ideas makes sense.  What seems more likely to me is Ethniu's gratuitous use of the Eye of Balor has made it easier for Alt-Harry to summon our Harry to his world.  I wouldn't be surprised if Alt-Harry does a James Bond villain info dump and tells Harry that it was really difficult to summon Harry's from other universes, but it was real easy to pull our Harry across.   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Harry’s power with the Eye is that he can keep it from being used, not to use it himself.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Harry’s power with the Eye is that he can keep it from being used, not to use it himself.
It will also make people more careful around him.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline psuedonym

• Participant
    • View Profile
If reality breaking is a part of the MM thing then what bob says about people imagining things and them becoming real could explain conjuritis, it may be a ripple traveling back in the river of time from a future tear of reality

Offline Eleyctra

• Posty McPostington
  • A humble artist
    • View Profile

(future WAG-time) The only time I see the eye being brought out again is sometime around the BAT. Harry gets possessed or influenced by something strong (though not an outsider because he's Starborn), carries the eye to the greatest reality barrier earth has: The Outer Wall. Whatever gets him there, he/it uses the eye to bring down the wall. Maybe he accidentally releases a creature from The Well, or didn't put correct stipulations on it, and it takes Harry over.

I like this theory.

1] is Bob going to tutor Bonea now?

While it would be amusing, this sounds like a terrible idea. Harry hopefully has enough sense by now not to put those two heads together.

Though I can imagine some wacky hijinks if they do. Just think: A short story involving Maggie, Mouse, Bob, and Bonea. They go on a case to help Harry without him knowing it. lol....Maggie as the leader, Mouse as the sensible/responsible one, Bob as the trouble-maker, and Bonea as the one that tries to help but ends up making things more complicated.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 06:38:42 AM by Eleyctra »
The written word stands between memory & oblivion.Without books as our anchors,we're cast adrift,neither teaching nor learning.They're windows on the past,mirrors on the present,& prisms reflecting possible futures.Books are lighthouses erected in the dark sea of time.
Jeffery Robbins-Gargoyles S2E4

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
About MM, what if Harry comes back with MM-Harry and MM-Murphy. She stays here with him and the other one marries Lara and then finds a way back home. So, no vows for our Harry.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • GURPS: Red Sky (Dresden Files RPG)
About MM, what if Harry comes back with MM-Harry and MM-Murphy. She stays here with him and the other one marries Lara and then finds a way back home. So, no vows for our Harry.
I have my doubts that he's going to be coming back with anyone. Given that MM-Harry is likely wholly dark side, it's more probable, I think, that normal Harry is going to end up having to kill him ... which will definitely give him some more issues. (Does that count as suicide?) And considering Grave Peril was when the Nightmare really tore into Murphy & they were at the height of distrust as a result, I can't see MM-Murphy becoming an ally. Time will tell, I suppose.
"My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity."

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I have my doubts that he's going to be coming back with anyone. Given that MM-Harry is likely wholly dark side, it's more probable, I think, that normal Harry is going to end up having to kill him ...

Or, this will be the one where he breaks the time travel law by sending a message back to his younger self to ensure he doesn't make the bad choice, aborting the mirror timeline entirely.