Author Topic: Butters *battle grounds*  (Read 10554 times)

Offline elerem

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Butters *battle grounds*
« on: October 04, 2020, 06:14:02 AM »
A bit crazy that in a series on God's and wizards this breaks my believability but here it goes:

Does anyone buy Butters becoming a athlete in a few months?

He runs around at high speed all night all around the city without any issue and harry mentions how strong he is for his size multiple times.

It's only been a few months they even say it in battle grounds

Really there were so many glowing descriptions of Butters. Far too many. As a knight he is also better then Sanya... Which just feels wrong. Sanya doesn't get his moment to defy a God like Butters does.  Sanya is the one that has been doing this for far longer is stronger  and deserved it more imo.

just feels like another step to butters being a god at everything,

« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 07:10:16 AM by elerem »

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Butters *battle grounds*
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 05:02:42 PM »
Butters has turned into “hetero male geek wish fulfillment” character.  It is not a good look on him.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Shadow_Dresden

• Participant
  • Still lurking about in the shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »
^ Sooo much this. Really don't like that kind of thing with any character and Butters has really worn out his welcome.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 05:28:37 PM »
Butters was already thin and minimally fit. He's been dating a young werewolf for a couple years now that probably stepped up his fitness. He was doing well enough to start running around as a vigilante with Bob.  Then he had five months of intense training with people who knew exactly what his body would need to endure.

Just Google six month transformation and you'll see just how much a difference can be made.  I don't see any issue with him being physically fit enough for the job. And as for technique, he has none.  He was just flailing around with a weapon that couldn't hurt the innocent. 

He's got the ultimate Marty Stu weapon.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 08:44:26 PM »
One of my favorite moments was when Ethniu one-shotted Butters, because he tried a silly movie-swashbuckling move.

Offline Shadow_Dresden

• Participant
  • Still lurking about in the shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 03:53:22 PM »
@Griffyn612

Exactly. He may be in shape now, but he put so many people at risk doing what he did, battle wise.

Honestly rushed through a lot of stuff dealing with him, apart from Harry's arm being burned by his sword. Couldn't stand him and I wish he'd go away for awhile. A little bit of Butters goes a long way.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 04:30:07 PM »
utters was already thin and minimally fit. He's been dating a young werewolf for a couple years now that probably stepped up his fitness. He was doing well enough to start running around as a vigilante with Bob.  Then he had five months of intense training with people who knew exactly what his body would need to endure.

I think he was more fit than people think.  He had been a member of Murphy's Justice League and had fought the Fomor with the help of Bob.  So I do think he was pretty fit, maybe not marathon runner fit, but fit.  The extra training over five months enhanced that, that and the fact that the light saber doesn't require the same kind of fitness that wielding a "normal" sword would require I think.

Just Google six month transformation and you'll see just how much a difference can be made.  I don't see any issue with him being physically fit enough for the job. And as for technique, he has none.  He was just flailing around with a weapon that couldn't hurt the innocent.

Perhaps that is why the Sword transformed itself in the way it did?  It already knew who it was going to, Harry was merely the conduit to Butters.  It knew his lack of skill and that the way things were going he'd not have a lot of time to acquire those skills or perhaps the raw talent to get them, hence a light saber that cannot damage the innocent, but works good against evil.  Remember also what Michael has always said, "it isn't about the blades.."  Butters wields the Sword of Faith, that is what it is about, "faith" not how well the Knight can use it.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 09:36:16 PM »
It is quite clear following Day One that Butters was viewing everything through a gaming heads up display, which meant it showed him the shortest point from A to B, the surest footing etc. A huge cheat.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 01:42:47 AM »
To me it was mainly that Harry seemed to remark on his improvement so many times it seemed like something that should have been removed in editing. Maybe it was a hint for something?

But also, it does not take a genius to figure out that the batman act also required being in good shape.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 02:06:54 AM »
Agree with Griff and Mira, nothing weird in his physical shape. It was not so fast. Also, remember that the sword levels the ground, so I am sure it helps to prevent some fatigue. But he is not better than Sanya, that is why he screws it in the end. As Harry said, he is new.

His weapon is a super weapon, totally overpowered, but he is well deserving of it and he proved with his faith not only in the Good but also in Harry (after a time of doubt). As I said in another place, I hope Ramirez do the same journey in future books.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Telynn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 02:10:45 AM »
I know I have to try to remember just how much time as elapsed between Changes and now.  6 months had passed from Changes to Ghost Story.  And Butters had been doing the batman routine for some if not most of it, so he had months to train or get into some sort of fighting shape.  Then how long before Cold Days?  About a month or so?  Then a year between that and Skin Games.  So we are talking probably almost 2 full years.  So the months spent with the knights were just refining skills, not completely getting some skinny out of shape nerd into a fighting machine.

And obviously the sword didn't need a very skilled fighter.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 02:22:10 AM »
To me it was mainly that Harry seemed to remark on his improvement so many times it seemed like something that should have been removed in editing. Maybe it was a hint for something?

But also, it does not take a genius to figure out that the batman act also required being in good shape.

I think there are many times that Butcher repeats things, specially descriptions, and that has been much worse in PT/BG. I commented in another thread that I was really tired of Harry describing how a soulgaze works and the thing about eyes being the windows of the soul. But that was not the only thing. In PT Lara got a full description twice in not so many chapters, and in BG a couple of things are mentioned again. And I think Butters is one of those things. You may be right that is a hint of something, but I've felt is more about bad editing.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 03:25:13 AM »
More like him padding it to try and make one book last two volumes.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 04:43:19 AM »
More like him padding it to try and make one book last two volumes.

You took the words right off my finger tips..  Yes, I think we all would have found the story more
enjoyable, if some heavy editing had been done, Peace Talks I think suffers a bit more than Battle Ground, but they could have been one book around seven hundred pages more or less and not have
broken the bank, if that really was the reason to split it into two books.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 09:40:34 AM »
What it shows is that Harry is accepting the changed status of Butters. Butters is a big hitter in his own right now, not the cowering, terrified hanger on to Harry from Dead Beat. That he is every bit the equal to Michael, Shiro, Sanya or Murphy as a Knight.