Author Topic: Is Harry OP? [Battle Ground Spoilers]  (Read 9380 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Is Harry OP? [Battle Ground Spoilers]
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2020, 07:08:00 PM »
I was under the impression he was hiding from  the rising sun.
That too.

But Luccio was quite clear about what the council thought about Bob in Small Favor and Bob knows.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2020, 07:14:06 PM »
That too.

But Luccio was quite clear about what the council thought about Bob in Small Favor and Bob knows.

Poor Bob, the Council and Mab want to off him, everyone else wants to weaponize him. Harry and Butters are probably the closest he's had to friends.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2020, 07:23:39 PM »
I was under the impression he was hiding from the rising sun.
No. He would have been fried in the gun. It isn't a sanctum. He could have just flown over to the skull if that's what he was worried about.

"About time," Bob whispered back. "Sunrise is almost here. You trying to get me cooked?"

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2020, 07:42:47 PM »
No. He would have been fried in the gun. It isn't a sanctum. He could have just flown over to the skull if that's what he was worried about.
Oh, right, I thought he went in to hide from the sunrise.  So probably mostly hiding out of self-preservation, but again, he was hovering around heads for a few minutes.  Hard to imagine no-one noticed. But just because they might have seen doesn't mean they would necessarily recognize or share amongst themselves. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2020, 07:46:43 PM »
Oh, right, I thought he went in to hide from the sunrise.  So probably mostly hiding out of self-preservation, but again, he was hovering around heads for a few minutes.  Hard to imagine no-one noticed. But just because they might have seen doesn't mean they would necessarily recognize or share amongst themselves.
There was a lot going on and everyone thinks Bob is dead. Luccio talked about him as gone. Connecting one more strange thing with Bob is not to be expected.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Greywolf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2020, 05:54:43 AM »
Re: Grey Council and Bob: it’s possible that at Chichen Itza the Grey Council, if anyone noticed the Bob-halo, attributed it to TWG. If I recall correctly he was mostly halo-ing Murph, right? And she was in full-on-angel-possession-mode? I think it’s likely that if anyone saw it they’d assume it was angelic presence, and I don’t think anyone tipped wise to Bob.
"I'll need some pants."

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2020, 04:24:44 PM »
As of now, Harry has, in his possession or access to, the following:
  • A prison of gods, demigods, demons, monsters, and other assorted things, which he can (apparently) release and control, in part or in whole, at his whim.
  • Access to a dark lay line source that he could potentially tap with preparation for a spell or spells, similar to how the Denarians used it.
  • The Sword of Love.
  • The Spear of Destiny.
  • The Placard of Christ.
  • The Shroud of Turin.
  • The Crown of Thorns.
  • The Eye of Balor.
  • Castle Wyvern Dresden.
  • The Winter Knight mantle.
  • Third+ Generation Wizard bloodline.
  • Soulfire
  • Starborn power
  • Margaret's Knowledge of Ways.
  • Bob 'Marty Stu' the Skull.
  • Bonea's Angelic Knowledge (if not wisdom)
  • A defacto army of tens of thousands of Little Folk.

He's related to, best friends with, or engaged/married to
  • The Blackstaff.
  • The Sword of Hope bearer.
  • The Sword of Faith bearer.
  • The Winter Lady.
  • The Winter Queen.
  • The (secret) White Queen.

Am I forgetting anything? 

Seriously, he's got a ton of crap.  That's not even counting his friendly acquaintances (Uriel, Vadderung, Erlking), his middling power-level friends (Thomas, a pack of Werewolves, River), and his potential resource of professional hires (Goodman, Binder, Kincaid).

I feel like at this point, if Harry were to start wearing the Shroud as a cape (to help heal him on the go), he might be unstoppable.  And if he were to get the Blackstaff like many speculate, then what could possibly stop him?  Other than an iron-rich waterfall?

I just jumped in so forgive my not being at whatever point this thread is at but I just responding to first post for now.

The WC now has it out for Harry and he stated his intention to operate as the Wizard of Chicago in open defiance. I think he is going to need all the trinkets and friends he can get to fend them off. Personally I hope he does because I hope in the end he is standing on a mound of WC bodies.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2020, 04:35:31 PM »
The white council first needs a reason good enough for Mab not to take offence when the white council attack her knight. They can not afford the enmity or winter.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2020, 12:25:25 AM »
I bet Ethniu thought she was OP, too.

Got her dad's Eye stuffed in her head, and impenetrable armor, and a huge army, and a vast undersea realm beyond the reach of wizards and mortals alike.

Literal gods came at her and she smacked them down like flies.

Where is she now?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2020, 01:35:57 AM »
I bet Ethniu thought she was OP, too.

Got her dad's Eye stuffed in her head, and impenetrable armor, and a huge army, and a vast undersea realm beyond the reach of wizards and mortals alike.

Literal gods came at her and she smacked them down like flies.

Where is she now?
Good point. She was wearing the armor when she was taken by Alfred.  And it's been said Harry can release parts of prisoners, yes?

So maybe he releases the armor and gives Alfred a Christmas present?

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2020, 02:10:26 AM »
If I recall correctly he was mostly halo-ing Murph, right? And she was in full-on-angel-possession-mode? I think it’s likely that if anyone saw it they’d assume it was angelic presence, and I don’t think anyone tipped wise to Bob.

And if any of the Grey Council had engaged Bob during the fighting with Kemmler, they'd be familiar with the blue Evil Bob, doing a whole lot more actively destructive stuff. Drastically changing tactics with the removed memories and glowing a different colour is a decent casual disguise ... even if most of them recognized Harry's squad had a spirit being helping them, the don't have reason to connect that it's /that/ spirit being.

Now, on the general topic of things that make Harry scary, it's yet to pan out, but his "they're looking now; let them find something positive" strategy seems to be about laying groundwork toward eventual contact with the vanilla authorities. I don't doubt the Librarians are going to be somewhere between inconvenient and antagonistic for a while, because, hey, it's Jim writing this. But longer term, when they're ready to reach out to someone to make contact with, the monster-slayer who advertised in the Yellow Pages is probably going to look better than supernatural nations they're starting to see the outlines of but are trying to hide. In practical terms, good relations with the mundane authorities would actually be more useful in a lot of ways than something like the ability to let horrors out of Demonreach.

If you think the Council is pissed and frightened now, just imagine the apoplexy if, around about book 19 or 20, Harry is leveling up from consultant to SI to consultant to Interpol and the UN security council. You want to kill the guy who's talking to the mortals about how to protect themselves from another supernatural attack? Enjoy your new #1 spot on the list of things they think they have to protect themselves from.

At this point I really want to see Ramirez drop by to spot-check Harry's conduct, and barge in on Harry hosting some feds he's on good terms with for a chat. Explaining that one of the secretive nations has someone under a suspended death sentence for going too far in defending Chicago would be a /great/ look for the Council in front of mortal authorities.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2020, 04:04:39 AM »
^^ Agreed. I do expect the Librarians to be a challenging foe (based on Lara's description) but like a lot of things that have been powerful initially, to get nerfed to be in-line with the rest. I suspect they already have a file on the openly operating Wizard. Hopefully, that ends up in Harry's favor.

I am with you in that it would be great to see Dresden become a consultant to the UN or something on the supernatural (assuming one doesn't exist already...) and making himself far more untouchable than he was as a member of the White Council. It's about time those smug bastards got a reality check.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2020, 05:12:53 AM »
In practical terms, good relations with the mundane authorities would actually be more useful in a lot of ways than something like the ability to let horrors out of Demonreach.

If you think the Council is pissed and frightened now, just imagine the apoplexy if, around about book 19 or 20, Harry is leveling up from consultant to SI to consultant to Interpol and the UN security council. You want to kill the guy who's talking to the mortals about how to protect themselves from another supernatural attack? Enjoy your new #1 spot on the list of things they think they have to protect themselves from.

At this point I really want to see Ramirez drop by to spot-check Harry's conduct, and barge in on Harry hosting some feds he's on good terms with for a chat. Explaining that one of the secretive nations has someone under a suspended death sentence for going too far in defending Chicago would be a /great/ look for the Council in front of mortal authorities.
All pretty solid. My only counter argument is "would Jim make it that easy on Harry?"

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2020, 05:26:57 AM »

I feel like this would go against Harry's goals of not starting a war between the Muggles and the Magical World.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2020, 06:10:31 AM »

Listen to Mab, the White Council is going to realize that they need that wolf and take him back.  At the moment they see him as a monster. But I bet inside of a book or two, Harry is going to confront them about something as Rashid predicted, and they will realize, he is their monster.