Author Topic: Is Harry OP? [Battle Ground Spoilers]  (Read 9388 times)

Offline Bacail

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Is Harry OP? [Battle Ground Spoilers]
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 08:02:53 AM »
  • Castle Wyvern Dresden.

I wonder if the castle has any Gargoyles or Grotesques featuring on its battlements.....

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 09:09:55 PM »
I wonder if the castle has any Gargoyles or Grotesques featuring on its battlements.....
It does!  One at each corner and one in the middle of the battlements on each level of the four stories.  It's mentioned in Ghost Story.  I'm entirely expecting them to be automated defense drones.

Offline magical_liopleurodon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 09:18:27 PM »
That reminds me, he's got Soulfire too.
And he has power over Outsiders ie Starborn

Offline Professor Q

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 11:19:08 PM »
He also has Bonea.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2020, 11:32:24 PM »
And he has power over Outsiders ie Starborn
He also has Bonea.
Yup, added both, thanks!

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2020, 01:41:42 AM »
Harry has tons of Weapons, but little ability to use them.

Seriously, Marcone got 1 power-up and it has him pulling out Magic that would let him trash Harry in spite of all his toys.
Butters took one of Harry's Hand-me-downs (bob) and made better use of it then Harry ever did, turning himself into Magitech Batman before he became a Jedi.
Carlos proves in this book just how much better he is then Harry at Magic with AoE Disintegration Magic.

So no, Harry isn't OP. He's a scrub that has a bunch of Nuclear Launch Codes- which in a way is far scarier.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 02:03:17 AM by forumghost »

Offline Professor Q

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2020, 02:13:04 AM »
I can't believe that I forgot about Mouse. Even Ancient Mai was impressed by the foo dog. (Of course it's more that Mouse has Harry than the other way round.)

Offline Sev Expar

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2020, 03:58:27 AM »
No.
Also, what do you mean?
Versus the wannabe wizards from the short story? Yes. Also, he would walk over most of the foes from the first half of the books.
Harry's been leveling up for almost twenty years.
In the RPG sense, Harry's the adventuring wizard gaining experience MUCH faster than his homebound brothers and sisters.
Anastasia says once that Harry's seen more than most wizards many times his age.
In the game sense? Yes, if he was a player character, maybe not if he was an NPC (especially a antogonist vs. a an RPG party).
Jim knows what's coming and is leveling and equipping Harry for it.
"OP" doesn't mean "A lot of power", it means "So much power it's not fun anymore".
In that sense, we have to trust that Jim is balancing Harry's powers, allies, gear, and item for the foes and challengers coming.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2020, 06:09:00 AM »
The powers are combined with weaknesses. He is still vulnerable in some ways. To resolve that he has to become immortal and I don’t see that happen until the end of the series.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2020, 06:46:01 AM »
The Gray Council knows about Bob and Amoracchius from Changes.
Bob was hiding in Murphy's gun after the battle. I'm not sure the Grey Council knows.

But they also need the firepower apparently that the island represents, and because they assume Harry only claimed it because he seems just so stupid to them, they tolerated him being Warden.
It wasn't entirely clear to me whether Jim meant they needed the firepower the island represents or the firepower Harry represented. The Vampire War was still on at the time. Harry himself being ever so slightly too useful reminds me of a quote about how one character, had he been a peasant, he would have been ever so slightly too good at his job to have flogged to death.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2020, 07:36:40 AM »
Bob was hiding in Murphy's gun after the battle. I'm not sure the Grey Council knows.
They don’t know about Bob. Ebenezer would go ballistic and wanted it destroyed or something like that.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2020, 02:47:26 PM »
Bob was swirling around people's heads during the battle, wasn't he? I mean maybe it went unnoticed?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2020, 02:49:29 PM »
Bob was swirling around people's heads during the battle, wasn't he? I mean maybe it went unnoticed?
Bb knows what he is doing and the last thing he wants is the white council noticing him.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2020, 06:38:55 PM »
He was hiding for a reason. I assume he was hiding from someone. I just don't know who. It wasn't Molly at that point. It might have just been out of an abundance of caution of Harry's part. He doesn't want people knowing about Bob because how dangerous Bob could be in the wrong hands.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2020, 06:56:34 PM »
He was hiding for a reason. I assume he was hiding from someone. I just don't know who. It wasn't Molly at that point. It might have just been out of an abundance of caution of Harry's part. He doesn't want people knowing about Bob because how dangerous Bob could be in the wrong hands.
I was under the impression he was hiding from the rising sun.