Author Topic: Anyone else... disappointed? [PT/BG spoilers]  (Read 57369 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else... disappointed? [PT/BG spoilers]
« Reply #315 on: November 12, 2020, 05:21:59 PM »
I somehow doubt Lara will become his wife.
No doubt she will. The question is what will that mean.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 12, 2020, 05:37:51 PM »
I hope you are right.

I really hope she does.

I want to see how Eb reacts and I definitely want to read the conversation with Thomasif he's woken up.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 12, 2020, 05:53:18 PM »
I want to see the reactions as the intended wedding but I don't want it actually happening.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 12, 2020, 06:33:22 PM »
I want to see the reactions as the intended wedding but I don't want it actually happening.

I don't either, short term stir, but then what?  Lara becomes the new Thomas, filling in for the times when Harry needs superhuman, speed, strength, and just kick ass?

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 12, 2020, 07:01:45 PM »
Really like with Marcone I really like Lara, and White Court as whole to get some serious Chichen Itza finally...

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 12, 2020, 07:43:16 PM »
But he repeats too much and not only about people, I am really tired of him explaining us how soulgazes work. We got it the first time you told us, 20 years ago, and in PT/BG you explained so many times that it even lessened the effect of the Empty House Tragic Moment.

Also, I agree about Thomas fridging. I need him back ASAP.
Soul gazing a octopus pretty much did me in with the idea. Maybe a squirrel next?  Thomas is where he is for a reason.  He can't stay a vampire.  Vampires don't have happy endings.

I had some hopes that the story line would mature when Harry accepted what he had bought by becoming Mab's Knight and the difficulty of being a father. Instead it has moved to the sublime.  Here comes the apocalypse, but wait while I take the child to the babysitter and dump my idiot brother in stir. 

You have Eb arguing that he's too close to the White's by having Thomas in the house. And now Harry is courting Lara. That can't end well. Harry better keep those murder dolls in stock.  There are plenty of near Earth asteroids for Eb to call down.  With the way everybody was acting I could believe that Harry was already in Mirror Mirror world.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 12, 2020, 08:24:33 PM »
Soul gazing a octopus pretty much did me in with the idea. Maybe a squirrel next?  Thomas is where he is for a reason.  He can't stay a vampire.  Vampires don't have happy endings.

The only way that could have been possible is if the kracken was human at one time and still had some soul left.  From the vision which kind of looked like ancient Greece, it may have been.  If I remember correctly he had something about not being able to soul gaze Terra West because she wasn't human.

I had some hopes that the story line would mature when Harry accepted what he had bought by becoming Mab's Knight and the difficulty of being a father. Instead it has moved to the sublime.  Here comes the apocalypse, but wait while I take the child to the babysitter and dump my idiot brother in stir. 

I think there was some of it, Harry's fears about becoming a monster but at the same time beginning to understand Mab better.  But I agree it did get weird after that. 
You have Eb arguing that he's too close to the White's by having Thomas in the house. And now Harry is courting Lara. That can't end well. Harry better keep those murder dolls in stock.  There are plenty of near Earth asteroids for Eb to call down.  With the way everybody was acting I could believe that Harry was already in Mirror Mirror world.

No, it can't, I guess I am one of the few who isn't looking forward to Mirror Mirror..  Maybe I am just sick of hearing about it? :-\

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 12, 2020, 08:34:44 PM »
Soul gazing a octopus pretty much did me in with the idea. Maybe a squirrel next?

I think idea was - that you know kraken was a human being turned by Fomor - maybe brain implaneted in octopus - they are after all fleshcrafters.

Thomas is where he is for a reason.  He can't stay a vampire.  Vampires don't have happy endings.

Dunno really. I'm not wanna go neither too pesimistic nor too optimistic about him.
For all I care he could stay whampire, and live past BAT as such - if Butcher have anything interesting to do with him rather than be sexy vampire brother.

Yeah, I mean 12 Months seems to be a book to go more deep into mature stuff.
But unfortunately overall Dresden Files are prisoners of own formula, most of readers love this formula - me included really, and Jim perfected it.
Plus for all dark shit Jim can do - he is not that dark of a storywriter. I mean I have no doubts Maggie is safe - so putting her in danger do nothing to me.

There is certain problem than in almost every book Dresden is motivated by putting someone close to him in direct danger - that's like main reason or second main reason he do any shit. He is too reactive in the end.

what do you mean by last one?

I think there was some of it, Harry's fears about becoming a monster but at the same time beginning to understand Mab better.  But I agree it did get weird after that.

Harry Mab relationship is best part of last 3 books. His human relationship in comparison are like prolonged soap-opera really.

No, it can't, I guess I am one of the few who isn't looking forward to Mirror Mirror..  Maybe I am just sick of hearing about it? :-\

You are the only one.
I look forward Mirror Mirror because I hope it will be source of lot's and lot's of knowledge.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 08:46:58 PM by Wicked Woodpecker of West »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 12, 2020, 08:57:33 PM »
No Mira, you are not the only one. Specially because I don't think one decision, whatever it is, changes Harry so much to make him such a dark person that he even consider to summon another Harry to be safer himself.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 12, 2020, 09:15:12 PM »
I mean it won't be one decision - there will be many many more - it will be just first step.
And even after that step there would be countless AU Dresden's that repented, were remorseful and abandoned whatever naughtyness was involved.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 12, 2020, 09:45:31 PM »
No Mira, you are not the only one. Specially because I don't think one decision, whatever it is, changes Harry so much to make him such a dark person that he even consider to summon another Harry to be safer himself.

I agree, plus I think so many people have expectations of what it is going to be that most will end up disappointed.  That is why I felt the way I did after Peace Talks, totally let down.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 12, 2020, 09:54:38 PM »
I mean it won't be one decision - there will be many many more - it will be just first step.
And even after that step there would be countless AU Dresden's that repented, were remorseful and abandoned whatever naughtyness was involved.
I don't know, I don't have it so clear.
Missing you, Md 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 12, 2020, 11:20:46 PM »
I think idea was - that you know kraken was a human being turned by Fomor - maybe brain implaneted in octopus - they are after all fleshcrafters.
I know what the idea was.
what do you mean by last one?
Everybody is way out of character.  Harry, Eb and Thomas all acting like emo little boys. When we last heard of the Council they were in civil war mode and Carlos and the younger wardens were in lock down. Luccio was locked up.  Fast forward to Peace Talks, now the Council is back to work as if nothing had happened.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 12, 2020, 11:26:32 PM »
I agree with Harry, and definitely with Ebenezer. Thomas - dunno he was always bit sketchy in terms of characterisation.

When we last heard of the Council they were in civil war mode and Carlos and the younger wardens were in lock down. Luccio was locked up.  Fast forward to Peace Talks, now the Council is back to work as if nothing had happened.

Yes. Just another situation when long-time consequences were conviniently brushed aside. I mean MAYBE in this case we shall get better explanation of what WC was doing last three years but still... I get why Dresden has not checked on Council as Ghost, but as Mab took him to Arctis Tor, he should consider informing WC about his status and checking on it - and I think he could safely demand such thing from Mab.

But as usual Dresden can never be pro-active because it would took stones from Jim's hand to pummel him in later books.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 12, 2020, 11:31:15 PM »
I completely agree about them acting OOC.
I really hope characters become more mature in 12M.
Missing you, Md