Author Topic: Anyone else... disappointed? [PT/BG spoilers]  (Read 57323 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else... disappointed? [PT/BG spoilers]
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2020, 04:55:50 PM »
He was a P.I. and a good one, that took up his time.  He never was interested in money, as
long as he was comfortable, he was content.
But the danger he brought to his neighbors made it necessary for him to get more money to create a proper wizard lair.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 07:33:07 AM by Arjan »
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2020, 05:03:21 PM »
But the danger he brought to his neighbors made it necessary for him to get more money to create a proper wizard liar.

Housing is horribly expensive in Chicago, and you don't get much for your money. Given Harry's education and training, not many high paying jobs for him. My son had to move out to the burbs because as much as he and his family would love to live in Chicago, they couldn't afford it, and he and his wife make excellent money.   Maybe doing more wizard stuff would help, but that was never his area of expertise.  As I said, considering the events in the early books, his neighbors knew how dangerous it was to live in the same building, they chose to anyway... Also if they felt him a danger, they could have petitioned to have him evicted on that basis, they never did.. They have to take some responsibility too.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2020, 05:23:34 PM »
Housing is horribly expensive in Chicago, and you don't get much for your money. Given Harry's education and training, not many high paying jobs for him. My son had to move out to the burbs because as much as he and his family would love to live in Chicago, they couldn't afford it, and he and his wife make excellent money.   Maybe doing more wizard stuff would help, but that was never his area of expertise.  As I said, considering the events in the early books, his neighbors knew how dangerous it was to live in the same building, they chose to anyway... Also if they felt him a danger, they could have petitioned to have him evicted on that basis, they never did.. They have to take some responsibility too.
We had to move to the suburbs as well. We needed more space when we got a child.

He either should have used his talents to collect money for a proper wizard liar Or he should have left the city centre.

Without proper funds he can not live in the city centre anyway.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2020, 07:48:35 PM »
Hé has huge blind spots but that does not make him a narcissist. His good heart is mentioned several times and he takes risks for other people.

His suicide in Changes for example was wrong in all kinds of ways but it does not fit a narcissistic personality. He genuinely cares for other people even if he lacks basic social skills in maintaining friendships.

We might end up with some sort of diagnosis but narcissism is simply the wrong one.
Pretty much this. I don't see how anyone can see Harry as a narcissist. Harry's problem with empathy might be the opposite of a lacking.

Harry really should have made enough money to live a good distance from anyone else or moved somewhere where that wouldn't be too expensive.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2020, 09:43:36 PM »
Pretty much this. I don't see how anyone can see Harry as a narcissist. Harry's problem with empathy might be the opposite of a lacking.

Harry really should have made enough money to live a good distance from anyone else or moved somewhere where that wouldn't be too expensive.

As I said, the price of rent and property in and around Chicago is terrible.  Even in the burbs then the commute is really really bad.. 

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2020, 11:09:34 PM »
He was a P.I. and a good one, that took up his time.  He never was interested in money, as
long as he was comfortable, he was content.
Ah he noted in the early stories, he has a lot of downtime between his regular cases (he'd have to, to stay poor on $50 an hour) of tracking down rings and the like.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 03, 2020, 04:30:13 AM »
Ah he noted in the early stories, he has a lot of downtime between his regular cases (he'd have to, to stay poor on $50 an hour) of tracking down rings and the like.

Then he gets to tinker in his beloved lab during his down time, he is a typical wizard.  If you will notice Eb doesn't live a lavish lifestyle either, when he isn't running around doing his "Blackstaff" thing, he is a small farmer. I don't remember hearing what if anything his farm produces, and he drives around in an old pick up in overalls. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 03, 2020, 06:32:01 AM »
Then he gets to tinker in his beloved lab during his down time, he is a typical wizard.  If you will notice Eb doesn't live a lavish lifestyle either, when he isn't running around doing his "Blackstaff" thing, he is a small farmer. I don't remember hearing what if anything his farm produces, and he drives around in an old pick up in overalls.
It is not about living lavishly, that only draws attention. Being a small farmer is a good cover, gives isolation and space to work all kind of stuff without being noticed and playing the part is good practice. It only helps if he likes his role.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 03, 2020, 06:56:47 AM »
Harry had his office for PI things. And he worked in the basement so he wouldn't blow the wall of a neigborh. He was not a big thing in the supernatural world at first (that he knew, at least) so he did not know how dangerous he will be. When he did, he did what he could to protect everyone.

Also, Harry is a bad liar, what you mean is wizard lair.  ;D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 03, 2020, 07:32:41 AM »
Harry had his office for PI things. And he worked in the basement so he wouldn't blow the wall of a neigborh. He was not a big thing in the supernatural world at first (that he knew, at least) so he did not know how dangerous he will be. When he did, he did what he could to protect everyone.
Except for moving out of the city centre. 
Also, Harry is a bad liar, what you mean is wizard lair.  ;D
Yes.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 03, 2020, 04:49:14 PM »
As I said, the price of rent and property in and around Chicago is terrible.  Even in the burbs then the commute is really really bad..
So he should live somewhere else or do something to make enough money to live where he wants without placing others in danger.

He was not a big thing in the supernatural world at first (that he knew, at least) so he did not know how dangerous he will be. When he did, he did what he could to protect everyone.
His apartment is attacked in SF, between GP and SK, BR, and then again in DB. He learns in BR that the White Court has a tactical assessment of his home's defenses and the White King recognizes him on sight. He really should have done something about his living situation sooner than after his house burned down in Changes.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 03, 2020, 06:31:19 PM »
So he should live somewhere else or do something to make enough money to live where he wants without placing others in danger.

Not always an easy thing to do.  Yeah, Harry is a professional wizard, even there he admits to huge gaps in his education, a lot because he was lazy as a kid  But anyway, his muggle education consists of a GED, he isn't trained for any trades, is a bit old for an apprentice, so getting enough money together to get a place that fits his needs, not easy. 

is apartment is attacked in SF, between GP and SK, BR, and then again in DB. He learns in BR that the White Court has a tactical assessment of his home's defenses and the White King recognizes him on sight. He really should have done something about his living situation sooner than after his house burned down in Changes.

As I said, the other people had to have been aware, no one tried to force him out.  Who knows they might even have told him they didn't mind.  We really don't know how rough a neighborhood he lived in, it might be bad enough that even living with a wizard in the building isn't seen as all that dangerous.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 03, 2020, 07:37:46 PM »
Not always an easy thing to do.  Yeah, Harry is a professional wizard, even there he admits to huge gaps in his education, a lot because he was lazy as a kid  But anyway, his muggle education consists of a GED, he isn't trained for any trades, is a bit old for an apprentice, so getting enough money together to get a place that fits his needs, not easy.
There's evidence from the text, WoJ, and our musings here as to how Harry could have made a lot of money. Until I see something convincing me that all that evidence is wrong, I'm going to go with he chose not to make a lot of money, which is also directly supported by the text.

As I said, the other people had to have been aware, no one tried to force him out.
Didn't Mrs. Spunkelcrief think that the zombie attack was a wild party and raised his rent for it? I don't think his neighbors were aware or believed in the supernatural.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2020, 09:58:52 PM »
here's evidence from the text, WoJ, and our musings here as to how Harry could have made a lot of money. Until I see something convincing me that all that evidence is wrong, I'm going to go with he chose not to make a lot of money, which is also directly supported by the text.

What I remember from the text is Harry saying there are wizards that use their power to make money.  He supposed he could do that as well, but thought it was corrupting.   

Didn't Mrs. Spunkelcrief think that the zombie attack was a wild party and raised his rent for it? I don't think his neighbors were aware or believed in the supernatural.

Maybe not, but if I remember correctly the zombies totally trashed the place, people get evicted for that.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 05, 2020, 09:03:39 PM »
What I remember from the text is Harry saying there are wizards that use their power to make money.  He supposed he could do that as well, but thought it was corrupting.   

Maybe not, but if I remember correctly the zombies totally trashed the place, people get evicted for that.
There's also Ulshavaras's question that presumes he could. Jim implied using Bob for financial advise would be very useful.

Yes. They do. But not as quickly as they do when they endanger the landlord's life.