Author Topic: Battle Ground spoilers: Harry’s pairing. What do you think?  (Read 41655 times)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Ground spoilers: Harry’s pairing. What do you think?
« Reply #225 on: October 27, 2020, 08:49:39 AM »
Could you quote this part about Black Court. I cannot remember it.

In Chapter 41 of White Night

Lasciel leaned closer. "He Who Walks Behind is an Outsider, Harry. A terrible creature, the most potent of the Walkers, a powerful knight among their ruling entities. But when he came for you, you overthrew him." ...

Thud-thump : 1:25.

"Listen," Lasciel said, giving my head a little shake. "You have the potential to hold great power over them. You may be able to escape the power now held over you. If you are sure it is what you want, I can give you an opportunity to defy Malvora's sending. But you'll have to hurry. I don't know how long it will take to throw it off, and they are almost upon you."

After which, we were going to have a long talk about my mother and these Outsiders and their relation to the Black Court and exactly what the hell was going on.

Lasciel - Lash, rather - nodded once and said, "I will tell you all that I can, Harry."

What I am wondering is when Harry will driven to ask Bonea about the Outsiders and what it means to be Starborn, seeing as she knows everything Lash knew.  I have little doubt that the next time Harry talks to LTW; assuming the Senior Council member doesn't die before a year has past, he will be told that the Senior Council, or those SC members who are in the know, don't trust Harry enough to inform him.  I doubt anything Harry does as a non-White Council member will increase their confidence in him.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 09:01:19 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 27, 2020, 01:21:31 PM »

After which, we were going to have a long talk about my mother and these Outsiders and their relation to the Black Court and exactly what the hell was going on.

Given that line, it makes more sense that Drakul and Mavra would suddenly show up at the beginning of the battle.  They were doing their part in the diversion and the sewing of chaos in the middle of things.  That doesn't exclude the White Court from a close association with the Outsiders, I believe they also do.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 13, 2020, 09:15:07 PM »
I resurrect this thread to say that this quote by Nivarius pretty much summarizes what I think
It seems to me that Mab has probably more than one or two reasons for wanting to marry Harry to Lara.

I'd argue, given what we've seen in recent books, that Mab always tries to protect Harry (despite Harry's objections that she would only care for a Knight who can protect himself, she's been doing a lot to help him or prevent him from doing mistakes). So I assume that her main reason for her to make them marry is to protect Harry. She wanted it to happen right away. Why? Most people thought it was to torture Harry, but what had just happened? Harry had just been kicked off the WC, so he's basically defenseless. An alliance/marriage with Lara would mean one thing to Harry's potential enemies: if you attack him, you attack the WCV. Mab cannot protect her Knight openly, or it would make him look weak, but by giving him an ally who is basically a Chief of State of an Accorded Nation, attacking Harry would mean a lot more to potential random enemies (it's not gonna stop Mavra or some crazies/really powerful enemies, but it can stop others).

Second, Mab has to repay the favors she owes to Lara, and from her point of view, there's no reason not to strengthen Winter's position by making a more permanent and reliable ally out of the WCV, especially since Lara is such a good political player.

Third, the marriage is meant to piss off Molly, and to basically tell her to forget her human emotions and to start acting like a Queen of Winter. Mab said she was lacking and too dangerous to become Mab right now. Considering what we've seen about Mab, it's probably about being "cold" enough to put your feelings aside and do what's necessary. And Molly can't say no to Harry and will always run to help him, even if it means somewhat endangering her duties as a Winter Queen or exhausting herself and leaving her vulnerable.

Fourth, it widens the gap between Harry and the WC. From what we've seen at the end of BG, the Accorded Nations don't trust the WC, or they would have invited them to their private talks. One-Eye and Mab at least know that they're probably at least somewhat directed by either Nemesis or the Black Council (or both). It also protects Harry from the WC, because basically killing Harry would mean waging war on two Accorded Nations, which even the WC might be reluctant to do, especially in their weakened state.

Fifth, it protects Harry from Lara. She might be a "good guy" nowadays, but she still puts her interests or that of her family/Court first. Making Harry part of that family would make her less likely to kill him for political reasons.

Also, I agree that Lara totally knew what she was asking. She's completely in femme fatale falling for the detective mode right now. Freydis told us as much in PT.
Also, what Regenbogen said about the courting teaching Harry some social skills, basically.

That said, I hope in the end they don't marry. I am not interested in Harry's being married.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 13, 2020, 09:18:50 PM »
I resurrect this thread to say that this quote by Nivarius pretty much summarizes what I thinkAlso, what Regenbogen said about the courting teaching Harry some social skills, basically.

That said, I hope in the end they don't marry. I am not interested in Harry's being married.
Except that I do not believe marrying Lara would make him really part of the family. That is not how vampires look at non vampire spouses.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 13, 2020, 09:20:26 PM »
He does not need to be considered "family" but "under the protection" for alliance.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 13, 2020, 09:23:11 PM »
He does not need to be considered "family" but "under the protection" for alliance.
At least he is not disposable and food. He symbolises the alliance with winter.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 13, 2020, 09:26:02 PM »
And it gave Lara an excuse to protecting him without subterfuges. And, as she needs him alive, it is good that she can protect it "officially."
Missing you, Md 

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 14, 2020, 01:02:02 AM »
That's assuming of course Lara is not about to bring Empty Night on Earth :3

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 14, 2020, 04:47:14 AM »
That's assuming of course Lara is not about to bring Empty Night on Earth :3
She could have been infected by Justine.
SH[Elaine+++]

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 14, 2020, 04:40:35 PM »
She could do it - because that's ancient purpose of White Court :3

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 17, 2020, 09:31:14 PM »
Except that I do not believe marrying Lara would make him really part of the family. That is not how vampires look at non vampire spouses.
White Court Vampires don't marry. See Job Placement (https://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/side-jobs/microfiction-job-placement).

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 17, 2020, 11:16:58 PM »
Nevertheless, Lara has been married before, I believe.
Missing you, Md 

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 18, 2020, 02:17:38 AM »
Nevertheless, Lara has been married before, I believe.

Correct.  I think Lara mentioned it in Blood Rites.  However, we don't know the circumstances.  It might have been a teenage Lara running off with some guy.  Unfortunately for that unknown person, that pairing wasn't a true love relationship and Lara ended up devouring her first lover.  If Lara married after she knew what she was and is, then it was deliberate murder for a specific purpose or to settle a particular grudge.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 18, 2020, 02:22:52 AM »
Depends who she married and how much she consumated it

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 18, 2020, 04:40:06 AM »
Depends who she married and how much she consumated it
This. I got the idea that the marriage we are talking about was a few years ago, centuries later than Lara discovering who she is. So, she probably married him for gaining some advantage (money, connections, option of traveling far away her father's place, I don't know. But I don't know if she killed him. Or how much time they were together.
Missing you, Md