Author Topic: Rudolph: Battlegrounds Heavy Spoilers  (Read 10517 times)

Offline Psyklone

• Participant
    • View Profile
Rudolph: Battlegrounds Heavy Spoilers
« on: September 29, 2020, 01:33:13 PM »
Ok, First, Peace talks and Battlegrounds...one helluva ride.

I just finished Battlegrounds, stayed up all night reading.  Rudolph is now my most hated character.  That said, I actually haven't hated any characters in the series before, as I appreciated Jim's storytelling and skill.  Before, he was an enjoyable nuisance, because I felt he would eventually guide the plot in some way.  Now I straight up just hate him.   I had my suspicions that Murphy would not live, but to go like that, was just terrible.  At least in the way we would want such a character to exit...  As much as I hate it, it fits with how he has written Rudolph over the years, so I can't nitpick on basis of writing skill/experience, but dangit why did it have to be like that?!

RIP Murph, I will miss you.  I had hoped for a different outcome, but I guess with a Big O'l Apocalyptic trilogy headed our way the series can't really end all sunshine and rainbows.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Rudolph: Battlegrounds Heavy Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 01:43:22 PM »

I just finished Battlegrounds, stayed up all night reading.  Rudolph is now my most hated character.  That said, I actually haven't hated any characters in the series before, as I appreciated Jim's storytelling and skill.  Before, he was an enjoyable nuisance, because I felt he would eventually guide the plot in some way.  Now I straight up just hate him.   I had my suspicions that Murphy would not live, but to go like that, was just terrible.  At least in the way we would want such a character to exit...  As much as I hate it, it fits with how he has written Rudolph over the years, so I can't nitpick on basis of writing skill/experience, but dangit why did it have to be like that?!

RIP Murph, I will miss you.  I had hoped for a different outcome, but I guess with a Big O'l Apocalyptic trilogy headed our way the series can't really end all sunshine and rainbows.

Lucky you!  My book is still in limbo, though it is claimed that I will get it by eleven p.m. tonight!

Not surprised at either thing... Looking forward to the read!  Hopefully will get the book sooner than later... Will be better than watching the debates tonight. ::)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 02:57:54 PM »
Rudy soiled himself, called that one (not that spoilery or unexpected really), and even got Murphy’s ‘big’ moment right based on the trailer.

It was inevitable that Murphy would die, it has been telegraphed since Skin Game, and the final nail in her coffin was sleeping with Harry (future paramours beware).

We now know Rudolph indeed was the ‘Man in the suit’ in the trailer although ‘Man’ is a real stretch to describe Rudolph

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 03:51:54 PM »
Rudy soiled himself, called that one (not that spoilery or unexpected really), and even got Murphy’s ‘big’ moment right based on the trailer.

It was inevitable that Murphy would die, it has been telegraphed since Skin Game, and the final nail in her coffin was sleeping with Harry (future paramours beware).

We now know Rudolph indeed was the ‘Man in the suit’ in the trailer although ‘Man’ is a real stretch to describe Rudolph

Slime ball might be more accurate..  Yeah, one of my guesses especially after getting a peek at chapter five that the man in the suit would turn out to be him.  Though I can't wait to find out how Murphy suddenly if physically able to get onto the battle field, or does that ultimately contribute to her demise?  Sort of suicide by Titan?  My book is somewhere between Baltimore and here, I live in Arkansas... At least they are saying now I should get it by 8:00 p.m. which is better than 11:00 p.m. that they said last night... :-\

Offline Poten26

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 06:50:19 PM »
It will be interesting to see if rudolph actually gets arrested for killing murphy and if he will get off

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 06:56:47 PM »
No body, the witness was Harry. I suspect Rudy will get medical retirement, and Bradley go to SI, as tragically Rawlings has subsequently died from cliche poisoning opening up a space.

Offline Psyklone

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 07:00:10 PM »
Sadly,

I'm not sure anything will happen.  It would be best if he were not even mentioned, and the character thrown into the bin.  As it stands, the only living witness to actually see how Murphy died is Harry.  Harry, who was going to have a warrant put out on him.  If Rudolph and whomever has been pulling his strings stir the pot, Harry would be put under the microscope again.  It would be easier for the story if Rudolph was now background, because if we keep focusing on him, Jim would have a tough time actually focusing on the enemies he needs to deal with to wrap things up.

Sigh, Murphy being killed was kinda like a bomb going off in my head...  I hadn't expected her to live per se, because she was aging and getting hammered each book, so there was no way she could realistically participate in the BAT.  I had hoped she would be sidelined as support, or go out well.  This just kinda leaves a rotten taste in my mouth, but that could just be my love/hope for the character...

Offline Poten26

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 07:13:40 PM »
I have to admit, I get why she died, but I was really hoping she wouldn't. Such a great character

Jim made quite a big point about him getting justice instead of revenge, I just wondering is this another area to send Harry towards a darker path if he gets off.

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • GURPS: Red Sky (Dresden Files RPG)
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 08:53:25 PM »
I'm not sure anything will happen.  It would be best if he were not even mentioned, and the character thrown into the bin.  As it stands, the only living witness to actually see how Murphy died is Harry.  Harry, who was going to have a warrant put out on him.  If Rudolph and whomever has been pulling his strings stir the pot, Harry would be put under the microscope again.  It would be easier for the story if Rudolph was now background, because if we keep focusing on him, Jim would have a tough time actually focusing on the enemies he needs to deal with to wrap things up.
I could sort of see Rudy showing back up in a future book, only as a broken, failed no one who has self-destructed hard after this. Butters knows the truth (even if he didn't see it) and he's still well thought of by the CPD so all he has to do is (accidentally, since he's a Knight now) reveal what happened to a single cop and Rudy's immediately becomes (even more) persona non grata. Or Rudy could just self-destruct due to guilt and his brief return could be a "Redemption Equals Death" moment...

But overall, I do think this is the last we've see of him...
"My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity."

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 11:04:08 PM »
No, we need to see Rudy one more time. Either as a passing glance from Harry at the dead loser in an alley or if Harry should happened to be going a hospital's Psych Ward. That is the much needed closure.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 11:51:43 PM »
No body, the witness was Harry. I suspect Rudy will get medical retirement, and Bradley go to SI, as tragically Rawlings has subsequently died from cliche poisoning opening up a space.

This. Zero chance of a conviction for Rudy, but enough people will believe it that he'll have to retire.

I still think there's a real chance that Rudy's suffering from the mental damage of the Eeb's mind control/domination.

What makes me worry that we haven't seen the last harmful fallout -- Sanya saying: "He is no threat to you."

That's what they thought. Harry and Murphy were sure he wasn't really a threat, just a nuisance.  That's why Rudolph was still around to harass them.

One of the big themes of this book is Supers not taking Humans seriously enough. That's nice when it's decent people with shotguns taking out fomor, but not so nice when it makes a scared idiot more dangerous to Murphy than a freaking Jotun.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 01:01:16 AM »
I think Rudy is being set up to become part of the "inquisition". He'll eventually get his I am sure. And it will be suitably horrible.

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 01:14:43 AM »

Murphy died due to sheer bad luck. No amount of planning and preparation could handle an accident. Human proposes and Heaven disposes.

Well, Murphy isn't exactly gone. She is an einghenjar now so she could potentially come back assuming the series is dragged out long enough or if there is a spin off in the DV universe. But for now, we have to say farewell to Karrin Murphy.

I am sad for Harry though. He is the one that suffers the most in this matter.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 05:21:33 AM »
It's not just "bad luck" though.

The warning signs were all there. Rudolph was increasingly unstable and violent. Earlier in the book, he pointed his gun at Harry with a shaky hand and his finger on the trigger. "The gun in his hands shook. It was a miracle it didn't go off."

Then Bradley standing to the side of the door while knocking -- he's clearly expecting that Rudolph is a loose cannon who might fire at the door if anyone knocks. Then he's deranged -- blaming Dresden's "lies" for the Jotun and fomor swarming Chicago. Bradley has to physically knock Rudolph out to safely extract the kids.

Their error is that they never, ever considered Rudolph to be a serious threat. They're in high-adrenaline fight-or-flight mode for the Jotun, then they're in joking-post-fight-cooldown mode while Rudolph is ranting and pointing a gun at them.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 12:18:12 PM »

Well, Murphy isn't exactly gone. She is an einghenjar now so she could potentially come back assuming the series is dragged out long enough or if there is a spin off in the DV universe. But for now, we have to say farewell to Karrin Murphy.
No, remember when Harry said that, Gard said she wouldn't return until all mortal memory of her is gone, and added that she deserves her rest.  I cannot see her returning even in a spin off, because anyone associated with Harry would know and remember Murphy if only by what Harry has told them.  She is also in print, so no, I doubt seriously if she returns.