Author Topic: The Placard  (Read 9418 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
The Placard
« on: September 23, 2020, 04:40:40 AM »
Harry describes it as "embodied intercession". Which he then explains is something to do with pouring the sins of humanity on Christ or something. In effect, it allows an individual to be the protection for a threshold. So Mac's place is "essentially invulnerable" but Mac himself isn't, and must be the focus for any attack before the bar and it's occupants can be attacked.

In writing terms, there is a fair bit of foreshadowing. Mac will likely have to place himself between the Last Titan or an Outsider etc and will pay a heavy cost (perhaps the ultimate one). It also hints at perhaps what Christ was doing during the Crucifixion.

It's a similar literary device to JK Rowling's Fidelius Charm in Harry Potter. The place is protected and both unfindable and untouchable (as are it's occupants) while the Secret Keeper (who is the only person who bares the knowledge of the location) does not reveal it.

Bit of a plot hole though, how does Harry Dresden know how such a powerful artefact works? How does he even know of the concept of embodied intercession? And moreover, how does he even know how to use it? How does he know about how to use any of the others? And what about alternative uses?

There is scant info about the Occult lore around the Placard or in other works of fiction, same with embodied intercession. Curious use of the word intercession too. It literally means "cutting off, interruption, intersection" so what does the Placard do? Cut off Mac's pub from the mortal world and/or spirit world? Place the champion inbetween the threat and the sanctuary?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: The Placard
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 05:02:04 AM »

At the end of Skin Game he didn't, however I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out that Alfred knew what they are and how they are to be used.  From his reaction when Harry asked him to get them, says he knows. Also as Winter Knight, Harry may have more access to information he never had before.  Mac apparently from his reaction and his actions knows exactly what the Placard is and how it is to be used.   

Harry may have even gotten the information from Hades himself, remember he said only someone clever enough to steal them would be able to use them.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 05:29:41 AM by Mira »

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 07:46:39 AM »
My point is though, where the hell was the exposition? It's just poor writing if you don't explain it. I really hope Jim has a flashback or explanation in Battle Ground.

All your reasons are plausible, but the fact remains is that it hasn't been actually explained.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 08:24:50 AM »
Harry said specifically he was going to study the history of the artifacts in SG, can't show everything on screen... Especially when such things could take months to gleam info about.

I like that he threw that explanation in though, it shows both that Sin was a comparable force of the universe, and that TWC did indeed save us all from it.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 11:17:51 AM »
His daughter, the one in the skull, is also the daughter of a fallen angel and has all her knowledge, just not the experience to effectively use it. Harry easily could have gotten the information from her.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 11:50:36 AM »
His daughter, the one in the skull, is also the daughter of a fallen angel and has all her knowledge, just not the experience to effectively use it. Harry easily could have gotten the information from her.

Perhaps, but Bonea's ability to call up knowledge at the moment is fragmented at best.  She has 150 recipes for pancakes but thinks milk is alive because it sloshes around in it's container, she is still very young.  Harry did say he was going to study them at the end of Skin Game when Michael handed him back his Sword.  Now it is possible that with Butters' permission he consulted with Bob. However if that wasn't screen out or on Demonreach or at Michael's place, Nic would have found out.
Uriel may also have told him about them.  Since the mission to retrieve them was so important that he loaned his Grace to Michael so it would be successful, he may also have told Harry what and how they were to be used.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 12:48:34 PM »
Harry wouldn't exploit his daughter like that, assuming even she could explain it in terms Dresden would understand or even understand his questions.

Harry said specifically he was going to study the history of the artifacts in SG, can't show everything on screen... Especially when such things could take months to gleam info about.

I like that he threw that explanation in though, it shows both that Sin was a comparable force of the universe, and that TWC did indeed save us all from it.
Yes, you can't show everything but considering how important it is it's worth explaining how he came into that knowledge. It would be like Harry Potter understanding how to use wands a scene after being given one.

That scene doesn't "show" anything though; it doesn't quantify sin or even suggest that it is real beyond the metaphorical concept. Harry isn't even sure that the use is the same. And it certainly doesn't show that Christ saved anyone. It implies what he might have used the Placard for... although there is no indication that it was anything other than a normal placard when it was used on Jesus. If anything, the constant implication is that Christ made those objects special.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 01:31:40 PM »
Harry wouldn't exploit his daughter like that, assuming even she could explain it in terms Dresden would understand or even understand his questions.
Yes, you can't show everything but considering how important it is it's worth explaining how he came into that knowledge. It would be like Harry Potter understanding how to use wands a scene after being given one.

That scene doesn't "show" anything though; it doesn't quantify sin or even suggest that it is real beyond the metaphorical concept. Harry isn't even sure that the use is the same. And it certainly doesn't show that Christ saved anyone. It implies what he might have used the Placard for... although there is no indication that it was anything other than a normal placard when it was used on Jesus. If anything, the constant implication is that Christ made those objects special.

He does have an understanding though, it isn't like he thought it could be used for mass propaganda for example.  Though one can argue that was part of the reason why the Roman's hung the sign over Christ's head to begin with in at least three languages.  They were saying if you want to claim that you are King of the Jews, this is what is going to happen to you.  But even if Harry doesn't fully understand, clearly Mac understands perfectly how it works.  Harry didn't have to tell him to put a smear of his blood on the back of it for example.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 05:47:39 PM »
yes, it DOES. Harry specifies information, tells exactly what it does, and then gives an example of what it's been used for. There is no indication that Harry isn't Doylistly supplying information for the audience... Something done literally all the time. And you couldn't use the placard in such a way, if sin WASN'T a quantifiable force. Pls don't confuse irl prejudice against christianity to mean you have to argue against fictional christianity...

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 07:06:56 PM »
yes, it DOES. Harry specifies information, tells exactly what it does, and then gives an example of what it's been used for. There is no indication that Harry isn't Doylistly supplying information for the audience... Something done literally all the time. And you couldn't use the placard in such a way, if sin WASN'T a quantifiable force. Pls don't confuse irl prejudice against christianity to mean you have to argue against fictional christianity...

However no one asked Harry how he knows all of this, though Murphy wanted to know what it was and where he got it.  Harry did tell Michael he'd research the artifacts.  Michael seemed to know a great deal about the Grail, but Harry gave that to Nic.  I think all Harry had to do was ask Bob, more likely Uriel, and he'd have all the information he needed.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 07:21:23 PM »
However no one asked Harry how he knows all of this, though Murphy wanted to know what it was and where he got it.  Harry did tell Michael he'd research the artifacts.  Michael seemed to know a great deal about the Grail, but Harry gave that to Nic.  I think all Harry had to do was ask Bob, more likely Uriel, and he'd have all the information he needed.
Uriel is never a source of knowledge.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 07:58:43 PM »
FIFY

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 08:14:10 PM »

I think he would make an exception in this case.  Why?  For starters it was Uriel taking the risk to lend Michael his Grace so Harry would be successful.  He never interferes?  Right? Unless he gets orders from the Boss.  Uriel knew perfectly well what was sitting on the shelf in the vault of Hades, so did Mab.  Remember what Hades said;  page 347-348

"My armory exists to contain weapons of terrible power during times when they are not needed.  I collect them and keep them to prevent their power from being abused in quieter times."
   "But why lock them away where anyone with enough resources can get to them?"  I asked.
"To prevent anyone without the skill or the commitment to use them well from having them," he said.  "It is not my task to keep them from all of mortal kind--only from the incompetents." Then I got it, and understanding made the bottom of my stomach drop out.  "This hasn't been a heist at all," I said.  "This whole mess. . .it was an audition?"

Then Hades wished him luck.

So yeah, both Uriel and Mab know perfectly well, what was in the vault.  They also know what is to come, and Harry the star child is the one chosen to wield them.  So yeah,  at some point if he couldn't get enough information about them on Wikipedia, you can bet either Uriel or Mab or both sat him down and explained their function.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 02:14:30 AM »

Alright, let's get a few things straight Sibelis.

You don't know me, so don't presume to know my views or beliefs. This forum is one for the discussion of spoilers pertaining to the Dresden Files series. Attack my arguments by all means but steer clear of attacking me. It's entirely inappropriate to comment on or speculate on my religious beliefs (or lack of as the case may be). My beliefs are and views are irrelevant and no one else's business, nor are anyone else's on this forum. So I remind you that such speculation and discussion are against the rules of this forum and I invite you to engage me based on the points I raise in my arguments, not speculate on things that are outside the purview of the topic. I understand you might feel that I attacked something you believe in, but I did not, and to do so would have been wrong of me.

I am not, and was not, attacking or otherwise railing against Christian beliefs. My argument was clear enough and if you read it back carefully you will see that I disagreed that the passage "shows" what you claimed. I did not say that Christ didn't die for the sins of humanity or sin wasn't real, I stayed well outside our real world and made no definitive statement or position on real world topics and would ask you do the same. Do not mistake my tone for anger. I am being direct because it is necessary in order to have respectful debate on this forum.

Now to your argument itself.
1. How does the scene "show" sin in a quantifiable way, how does it show Christ died for the sins of humanity in the Dresden Files? "Show" means to cause something to be visible or perceived. In what way was Sin or Christ's redemption visible in that scene?

An example of something (such as a force) being shown in the series is Soulfire. In SmF Harry first shows an application of Soulfire (even though we do not yet know what it is). We later get a small explanation from Mab to what it is, and further from Bob. An excellent scene with both exposition of the force that is Soulfire and the application of it is during Cold Days when Harry contests with the will of Mother Winter and breaks the bonds laid on him.

In no way does the scene in which the Placard is used show sin.
Mac was a lean man around six feet tall with broad‑knuckled hands and a shining bald pate, dressed in his usual black slacks, button‑down shirt, and spotless white apron. He’d been a friend for a long time. He looked at me and then nodded toward his pantry and office.

Karrin and I walked over and went in. Without a word, I opened up the backpack, took out the little wooden sign, and put it down carefully on his desk.

Mac saw the sign and his eyes widened. He looked at me, his face written heavily with consternation.

“You know what it is,” I said.

Mac rocked back half a pace. He looked from the sign to me. He didn’t quite lick his lips in nervous guilt, but it was pretty clear that he didn’t like that I’d realized what he knew.

“A lot of the Paranetters are here tonight,” I said, “because we put out an alert yesterday and this is one of the designated shelters.”

Mac nodded firmly.

I met his eyes for as long as I dared and said, “What’s coming could kill every one of them. So I need your help.”

Mac looked from me to the sign and back, grimacing.

“Mac,” I said quietly. “Not just anyone would recognize that sign. I mean, it’s just an old piece of wooden board, right?”

His expression became pained and he held up his hands.

“There’s a Titan coming to Chicago,” I said, “with an army, courtesy of the Fomor, to burn the place to the ground. They’ll be here in maybe an hour. There’s no time to get cute. Are you willing?”

He frowned. He stared at the sign for a second and then away.

“Mac,” I said, “there’s no time for this.” I bowed my head, rested the fingertips of one hand against my temples, and began to call up my Sight.

A wizard’s Sight is a powerful tool for perceiving the energies of the universe. It gets called a lot of things, from dream sight to the third eye, but it amounts to the same thing—adjusting your thoughts to be able to perceive magical energies as they move around and through the natural world. The Sight shows you things in their purest nature, reveals fundamental truths about people, creatures, and things that you look at.

A while ago, some of the Outsiders had come looking for trouble at Mac’s.

They’d recognized him.

I didn’t know what Mac was, but it seemed clear that he wasn’t just your average bartender. I figured it was about time we got to know each other a little better.

But before I could look up, Mac pressed my hand gently against my face, making it impossible to open my eyes.

“Don’t,” the mostly mute man said gently. “Hurt yourself.”

He didn’t let me move my hand until I’d released my Sight—and there was no way he should have been able to know that. But he did anyway. Which put him in a relatively small pool of beings—those with a connection to divine knowledge, to intellectus, and given what the Outsiders had called him, I was pretty sure I knew what Mac was now. Or at least what he had once been.

He lowered his hand slowly, his expression resolved. Then he took a step back, pursed his lips, looked at me, and shook his head. After that, he moved briskly, opening a storage cabinet and taking out a small, efficient toolbox. A moment of effort and he’d  put a couple of screws in  the back of the sign, connected by a strand of wire.

“What is it?” Murphy asked as he worked.

“The placard from the Cross,” I said. “The one that said, ‘Here is the King of the Jews.’”

Her golden eyebrows went up. “From the vault?”

“Yeah,” I said.

“What does it do?”

“It’s embodied intercession. It focuses energy on an individual,” I said. “Something about pouring out the accumulated sins of humanity onto Christ, maybe. Hang it up and it puts up a kind of threshold that will hold off just about anything supernatural, as long as the property’s rightful owner is alive.”

Mac took a small folding knife out of his pocket, opened it, and pricked his thumb. A drop of blood welled.

“So everyone here will be safe,” Karrin said.

Mac hesitated for only an instant. Then he took a deep breath and pressed his thumb against the back of the placard, smearing his blood there.

“Anything that wants to get to them will have to go through Mac first,” I clarified quietly.

Mac took out a nail and a hammer; then he tucked the placard under one arm and walked out with them. A moment later, we could hear him using the hammer as he hung up the sign.

Where in that body of text is the force that is Sin shown? Where is the exposition or depiction of Christ redeeming humanity? It isn't there.
“Something about pouring out the accumulated sins of humanity onto Christ, maybe.
This is the only bit that even references it, and Harry thinks it is a maybe. It is unclear, uncertain, and lacking in detail. Which is part of why it's in there. For us readers to speculate on and for Jim to perhaps lay some ground work. It certainly doesn't connect how even the event of pouring the "accumulated sins of humanity onto Christ" would create an "embodied intercission" or what it had to do with Christ's redemption of humanity. It's not facts, even in-universe, it is speculation. Whether the event (read:crucifixion) happened in the Dresdenverse (seems likely) and what was actually going on beyond the torture and execution of God's only Son has not been stated. Some on these forums believe Jim will never make a definite statement about it at all. I suspect he will but currently we have next to know facts about the event. Using real world information from our universe is good for speculation but ultimately is still not fact and you can be sure Jim will have his own take. But we must be careful not to confuse a work of fiction with an event in our world.

Even if you believe Harry is Doylistly (as you put it) supplying the reader with information, it isn't clear in-universe how he came in possession of such high-level information (unless you believe any old person in the series could just find out). So the fact remains that either it is poor writing and Jim just forgot to mention how Harry actually found this out OR he is setting it up for later. Which is more likely.

I have no idea what you mean when you say that you couldn't use the Placard in such a way if sin WASN'T a quantifiable force. The scene explains how the artifact can be used, sure. But it doesn't say how the artifact came to be this way. It was just a sign originally, as far as we know. It's association with the Crucifixion and Christ is likely (but not definitely) how it gained it unique properties but we don't know for sure, as Jim hasn't yet explained that. Even Harry doesn't know - he is merely speculating.

The closest we have come to seeing something like Sin is the corruption that Lasciel and Anduriel have displayed. Lasciel mentions that the Fallen are corruption, and Anduriel shows his influence in Skin Game when pulsing while Nicodemus is having a monologue. But even there it isn't explicit. So for now, it's as much a metaphor in the series as love (in fact more so).

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 02:16:57 AM by Yuillegan »

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 02:45:10 AM »
Apologies on the double post, but because of the length of my previous one I figured it would be clearer to create a second.

He does have an understanding though, it isn't like he thought it could be used for mass propaganda for example.  Though one can argue that was part of the reason why the Roman's hung the sign over Christ's head to begin with in at least three languages.  They were saying if you want to claim that you are King of the Jews, this is what is going to happen to you.  But even if Harry doesn't fully understand, clearly Mac understands perfectly how it works.  Harry didn't have to tell him to put a smear of his blood on the back of it for example.

Indeed, but I fail to see how Harry came to that understanding. It probably would have made more sense for mass propaganda tbh. But this is JB's world, and I am sure he has his reasons. Mac knows because he knows. Intellectus baby! And perhaps because he has witnessed it being used before. I don't think the last time it was used was the Crucifixion. I suspect there was at least one event since...*cough* 1066 *cough*

Exactly. And you're explanation is plausible. But I wish Jim would actually explain it as it just is absurd to think Harry just worked it out. Michael knew a little about the Grail. Not exactly a tome worth. Enough to guess at Nic's plans perhaps. But not enough to know how to use it himself I don't think.

Not really true. "Wherever you go, there you are" and "One Archangel used his power overtly [in reference to the Prince of Darkness]" and "Your daughter is alive and well" and "Lies. Mab cannot change who you are."

All of that is knowledge. In fact, it's divine knowledge. Cosmic truth. He just dispenses very, very little. But what he says is highly valuable and worth paying close attention to.

I do understand your point though, I think. Uriel isn't Google. He might know practically everything but you can't just ask him to search the cosmic database when you feel like. He'll tell you something if that's what you are meant to know.

So yeah, both Uriel and Mab know perfectly well, what was in the vault.  They also know what is to come, and Harry the star child is the one chosen to wield them.  So yeah,  at some point if he couldn't get enough information about them on Wikipedia, you can bet either Uriel or Mab or both sat him down and explained their function.
I don't agree. But even if that's what happened Harry should have explained that. It's poor writing not to unless there is a very good reason Jim doesn't want us to know yet how Harry knows this information. And you certainly can't get the knowledge Harry has from the Web (even if Dresden could use the internet and worked out how to navigate it...).