Author Topic: Elemental Chaos  (Read 5663 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Elemental Chaos
« on: September 07, 2020, 10:13:54 AM »
In Bombshells, I noticed that Lea compared Molly's ability to derail things to Dresden's. She likens it to elemental chaos.

Now the only other time I have heard that in the series was in Peace Talks when Harry talks of the Outside.

It could be just random. A turn of phrase, of metaphor. But I think it was a hint.

Dresden isn't from order, he is from chaos. He is a destroyer.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental Chaos
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 08:44:42 PM »
Watch the trailer for Battle Ground.  Mab tells Harry,
(click to show/hide)

I guess it's how you use that destructive ability that's important.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:48:42 PM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 09:03:28 PM »
Harry has always been a weapon, it depends on how he is used. Harry has made it clear how he won’t be used.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 10:24:42 PM »
Watch the trailer for Battle Ground.  Mab tells Harry,
(click to show/hide)

I guess it's how you use that destructive ability that's important.
Yeah just did, further confirmation to me that Jim is laying breadcrumbs. I think we might learn what Morgan was referring to, at least partly, when he called Harry a Destroyer.

Jim did once say that Mab was keeping her enemies close when discussing how the Queens felt about Harry. That says a lot to me.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 03:28:13 PM »
Harry is an unravelling on two legs, he laughs at prophecy, eats death curses for breakfast and defecates upon entropy curses. He is a destroyer and force of chaos in that he can avoid destiny and create new futures where none exist.

Example on Demonreach where he asks the GateKeeper to look at him again after he has stepped on the island, Harry has demolished the pre-ordained future replacing it with new previously unforeseen options my marrying Alfred. Clairvoyants and prophets must really, really hate Harry even if they haven’t met him yet  (which is what normally happens) because he is a blind spot, all they can see is general details of war and bloodshed, no specifics. Chandler’s bonhomie to Harry is therefore forced and phoney.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 03:40:50 PM »
Actually that speaks to the limitations of the eye. Harry has encountered all manor of soothsayer and none ever had an issue except that one time.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 05:21:46 PM »
Not really, it’s the specifics that they have problems with around Harry, clearly they see him at the centre of a war (which is coming irrespective of Harry) but it’s his role in it which they can’t determine, and his role is pivotal as to the outcome.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 05:32:00 PM »
Which is pretty specific really, I wouldn't expect them to know the outcome. Too many choices leveraging against each other.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 07:02:33 PM »
Actually that speaks to the limitations of the eye. Harry has encountered all manor of soothsayer and none ever had an issue except that one time.
In DM, it was prophesied that either Harry would die, or everyone would. That's not what happened.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 07:56:53 PM »
Harry is an unravelling on two legs, he laughs at prophecy, eats death curses for breakfast and defecates upon entropy curses. He is a destroyer and force of chaos in that he can avoid destiny and create new futures where none exist.

Example on Demonreach where he asks the GateKeeper to look at him again after he has stepped on the island, Harry has demolished the pre-ordained future replacing it with new previously unforeseen options my marrying Alfred. Clairvoyants and prophets must really, really hate Harry even if they haven’t met him yet  (which is what normally happens) because he is a blind spot, all they can see is general details of war and bloodshed, no specifics. Chandler’s bonhomie to Harry is therefore forced and phoney.

I don't think what went down between Rashid and Harry are exactly as you say.  When Rashid first scanned Harry, he had no clue of the connection Harry had made with the island.  What he saw was Harry verses the Senior Council and it was a battle Harry was going to lose.  There was nothing about Harry when he lacked a physical connect for him to see otherwise.  When Harry stood upon the island, the connection became apparent and it was a game changer.  How much of a one still remained unclear, Harry at that point had little knowledge of the implications of what he had done. If he had, the battle with Shaggy Skinwalker would have gone a lot different I think.  In that year after
Cold Days Harry has learned a lot about the extent of his power on the island.

DM, it was prophesied that either Harry would die, or everyone would. That's not what happened.

That wasn't all of it though, The first part of it was if Harry sought the Shroud, he'd surely die.. That is why the Knights were trying to protect him, why Shiro sacrificed himself for Harry.  However
the second part of the prophesy was, "If you do not, they all die.  And the city with it." 

Nic had used the Shroud to place a curse on Harry, which would have resulted in a massive epidemic in the city once he got hold of it.  However Shiro took Harry's place, so Shiro got sick, as long as Nic had the Shroud after that the plague would continue to grow, but once Harry got it back from him, it would end.  The only reason that there were no deaths beyond Shiro from the plague, is because Shiro took Harry's place, screwing up the curse.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 08:15:01 PM by Mira »

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 08:14:55 PM »
In DM, it was prophesied that either Harry would die, or everyone would. That's not what happened.

Harry dying didn't *happen*, but it did become a thing that was unavoidably going to happen until Shiro invoked his once-a-lifetime-substitute-sacrifice super power to die in Harry's place.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 08:18:28 PM »
Harry dying didn't *happen*, but it did become a thing that was unavoidably going to happen until Shiro invoked his once-a-lifetime-substitute-sacrifice super power to die in Harry's place.

Harry still had to get the Shroud back though, if he didn't the plague would continue to grow, that was what part two of the prophesy was about that apparently even the Knights didn't realize until they found Shiro.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 08:31:58 PM »
I've wondered about that part of DM for a long time. How unavoidable is the curse really? Harry's wards block its effects temporarily. And it looks kind of like the entropy curse in BR.

Certainly Harry at that time couldn't deal with it long-term without Shiro dying in his place.

But could a more skilled wizard?

There must be some limit or Nic would just curse all the Archangels to die.

OK that's pretty extreme, but do you really think it would work on Mab or Titania, or even Molly or the Merlin or Eb?

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 10:45:16 PM »
There must be some limit or Nic would just curse all the Archangels to die.

Or the Knights. Or their families.

Yeah. I'd guess there's a complicated series of conditions -- like the fact that Harry involved himself in fighting Nic's plot, even after being warned off by everyone on both sides. Perhaps the partially-waylaid prophecy was necessary to maneuver Harry into the conditions that would make him a legitimate target of the Curse.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 12:04:33 AM »
Or the Knights. Or their families.

Well, I was sort of thinking that using it on the Knights might not benefit him that much since they'd be replaced. But Shiro was awesome enough that, yeah, hitting him with it would clearly have been a win for the Denarians.

But yeah, I'd think the angelic protection would have to protect the Knights' families - which means there's an upper limit on what it can do.

I'm wondering if it's actually "just" a really strong entropy curse and the idea that it's unavoidable is a product of the Knights' relatively limited knowledge base (like the idea that there's no way to get a Shadow out of your head other than accepting the Coin or giving up magic). If Harry as of DM can build wards that keep it out of his apartment, then a really skilled wizard might be able to redirect it (like Harry did with the Outsider-powered entropy curse in BR).