Author Topic: Sample Chapters on TOR  (Read 6574 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Sample Chapters on TOR
« on: September 01, 2020, 05:18:11 PM »

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Sample Chapters on TOR
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 06:13:49 PM »
So...
(click to show/hide)

What are the spoiler rules for sample chapters, anyway?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 06:15:36 PM by ClintACK »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 06:20:53 PM »
There is something about Harry in a soul gaze that scares the crap out a rogue FBI agent, Susan and a kracken.  We also maybe understand better why it is a good thing that Harry is the Winter Knight, and Molly Winter Lady.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 09:50:33 PM by Mira »

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 06:32:21 PM »
No calamari joke? Harry (and Jim are slipping).

I presume Kraken are mortal and sentient, hence a soul gaze. Harry could probably soul gaze a chimp, gorilla or dolphin, but not a dog (Mouse isn’t mortal) or a cat (Mister would win any staring contest though, and Harry would end up having to open a tin of tuna, having lost a battle of wills because well, cat.)

Lots of real fires in Chicago, perfect for keeping away the Outsiders.

Molly has control of weather and sharks, does anyone else find that ominous? She also knew Harry had gone to the island.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 06:35:18 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 06:33:53 PM »

There is something about Harry in a soul gaze that scares the crap out a rogue FBI agent, Susan and a kracken.  We also maybe understand better why it is a good thing that Harry is the Winter Knight, and Molly Winter Lady.

But not Marcone.....

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 06:44:50 PM »

I think the line from Murphy pointing that out was the telling one. It sort of weakens the impact if he then starts kraking jokes..

Molly has control of weather and sharks, does anyone else find that ominous? She also knew Harry had gone to the island.

Well, she is the Winter Lady, a certain power over dark creatures is indicated... As for knowing where Harry is, I'd imagine there'd be some way the queens can locate their knight, otherwise he'd just run away and hide pretty darn quick.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 06:46:22 PM by SpacedCowboy »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »
But not Marcone.....

No, which if you will remember surprised Harry, and actually made him a bit afraid of Marcone.  However he did find a corner where Marcone was vulnerable.  One has to wonder, perhaps Marcone wasn't afraid because he was trying to come up with a way to use Harry?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 06:50:03 PM »

I thought the 2 chapters were awesome - definitely a good start :) I was kind of confused by the "You don't want to take on the Winter Knight in dark places" line though, considering that he didn't *do* much as the Winter Knight after that. Everyone else did, but Harry's contribution was limited to stuffing a magnesium flare into the wound made by Lara. I was thinking maybe blades of ice, lots of them, but ... no.

That depends on how you define how much he did.  The soul gaze, the Winter Mantle made Harry realize something, the kracken was afraid of him!  Then his allies came in and did their part.  However if they hadn't I wouldn't be so sure if Harry wouldn't have done more, because with the knowledge gained he now had the upper hand, but he didn't need to do more.  Notice he didn't even attempt to use the knife, he is still keeping that knowledge from the Enemy.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 06:51:53 PM by Mira »

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 07:02:21 PM »
That depends on how you define how much he did.  The soul gaze, the Winter Mantle made Harry realize something, the kracken was afraid of him!  Then his allies came in and did their part.  However if they hadn't I wouldn't be so sure if Harry wouldn't have done more, because with the knowledge gained he now had the upper hand, but he didn't need to do more.

I guess. Maybe I'm not reading enough into that, it just seemed an odd line to have, if there weren't immediate consequences backing it up.

Notice he didn't even attempt to use the knife, he is still keeping that knowledge from the Enemy.

Yup. Although I thought he took two of the weapons off-island. We only get to hear about the knife ...

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 07:38:47 PM »
Yea wow, kraken soul gaze? Does that mean other things in the fomorian ranks have them? Then they can basically makes actual choices? That interesting..

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 07:40:14 PM »
I think I'm starting to get an idea of what he might do with the placard,
(click to show/hide)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 08:16:58 PM »
Jim has said that Clash of the Titans influenced him enormously, and now the Fomor have Released The Kraken.

Note Tor are redirecting everyone to their website this time.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 08:18:48 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 08:50:38 PM »

I presume Kraken are mortal and sentient, hence a soul gaze. Harry could probably soul gaze a chimp, gorilla or dolphin, but not a dog (Mouse isn’t mortal) or a cat (Mister would win any staring contest though, and Harry would end up having to open a tin of tuna, having lost a battle of wills because well, cat.)

Lots of real fires in Chicago, perfect for keeping away the Outsiders.

It depends on your definition of soul. I think it is a bit fuzzy sometimes and the difference between soul and spirit is not always clearly drawn in all uses of the word.

I think something like a soul gaze is theoretically possible with a lot of creatures and you might see something. 
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 08:53:21 PM »
Jim has said that Clash of the Titans influenced him enormously, and now the Fomor have Released The Kraken.

Note Tor are redirecting everyone to their website this time.

Yeah, but that happens at the end of the movie.  Perseus has already taken Medusa's head and had Pegasus to ride upon, so in the end it really wasn't even a fair fight since he pretty swiftly turns the kracken into stone.
I guess. Maybe I'm not reading enough into that, it just seemed an odd line to have, if there weren't immediate consequences backing it up.

What I found odd is Harry began to feel "better" about the situation and actually was reluctant to pull away from the soul gaze.  So the question then becomes did the kracken have Harry mesmerized?  What were the Fomor learning from him?  He was clearly learning something from the kracken about the Fomor though it might not yet be clear to him.

Yup. Although I thought he took two of the weapons off-island. We only get to hear about the knife ...

Yeah, but we know about it, I think he may have mentioned the Knife because of the two it is the more powerful.  Notice though, he doesn't even mention either to Murphy least someone/something like Andriel is listening in.  I also wonder why he didn't try more fire power on the kracken before he got tossed in the drink nullifying his magic.
I think something like a soul gaze is theoretically possible with a lot of creatures and you might see something.
Yeah, but question becomes, do you want to see into some creatures?  Take a skinwalker like Shaggy for example, I imagine a soul gaze is possible with him, but considering what just seeing him 
with his wizard's sight did to Harry, a soul gaze could possibly kill.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 08:57:02 PM by Mira »

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 08:56:44 PM »
So...
(click to show/hide)

What are the spoiler rules for sample chapters, anyway?
There's every chance it was one of the paranetters that was grabbed. Or it could have been a scion as you said.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.