Author Topic: Bob's parents.  (Read 8555 times)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Bob's parents.
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2020, 02:37:59 AM »
Eb is too young, Bob is nearly 700 years older than Eb, same with Kemmler, and we haven’t met Kemmler.
He was in A Fistful of Warlocks.

Here's Jim's quote:
Wow, really? I thought it was obvious.

Both of Bob's parents have appeared in the Dresden Files. :)
My interpretation of "appeared in the Dresden Files" is more like anyone mentioned than one who Harry, or whichever pov character of a short story, has met.

Now Jim doesn't always do his homework but when it comes to Celtic Mythology the guy goes all out.
Cat Sith is pronounced with the Star Wars pronunciation in the books. It should be pronounced the same as, or at least close to, Sidhe. Jim's not always on point with pronunciations. He's admitted so himself. He says there are a lot of words he's only ever read. Cat Sith pronunciation source: https://www.timberbush-tours.co.uk/news-offers/scottish-folklore-cat-sith-cu-sith.

... as he deserves to be there ...
With the description of the imprisoning process, the one that the British Prisoner went through, we know that any serious player who has "victims" and a conscious would likely have a great deal of guilt because they would have experienced all the suffering they caused. This could alter how "bad" the British Prisoner is.

As to Bob being 1,000 years old, there's a bit of contradictory evidence with Bob stating that he has about 600 years worth of memory. He also says the lost about 100 years of memory when he excised Evil Bob. He had already destroyed some of his memory of his time with Kemmler. But Bob was only with Kemmler for about 40 years, so years of memory is a very squishy measurement of time.

But being a spirit of Air and intellect ... almost certainly means Mab is his mother. ...

but always somewhat insouciant.
I don't see how being a spirit of air and intellect means Mab because of Lash being Bonea's parent.

I don't think Bob was insouciant with Kemmler, but Bob also didn't like who he was when Kemmler had him; Kemmler twisted him, so it's not really an objection to insouciance as a key character trait of Bob.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2020, 03:04:17 AM »
Cat Sith is pronounced with the Star Wars pronunciation in the books. It should be pronounced the same as, or at least close to, Sidhe. Jim's not always on point with pronunciations. He's admitted so himself. He says there are a lot of words he's only ever read. Cat Sith pronunciation source: https://www.timberbush-tours.co.uk/news-offers/scottish-folklore-cat-sith-cu-sith.
Yeah I remember that. I don't think it's much of a benchmark of how strong Jim's research is though. And it hardly proves the British prisoner is Scottish or Welsh or whatever. Unless you have information otherwise?

In any case, Jim clearly knows the difference between a Scottish and British accent. See the stuff about Ebeneezer getting mad.

I don't see how being a spirit of air and intellect means Mab because of Lash being Bonea's parent.

I don't think Bob was insouciant with Kemmler, but Bob also didn't like who he was when Kemmler had him; Kemmler twisted him, so it's not really an objection to insouciance as a key character trait of Bob.

Never said anything about Lash...?

Mab is Queen of Air and Darkness. She is also known to be the incredibly, coldly calculating and highly logical Queen. Intellect...Air...character we have met...Bob is blue like Winter when in his most cold and calculating form...any of that piecing together?

The facts are limited. But I have yet to hear of an Immortal that matches Bob better.

I didn't say he was insouciant with Kemmler, either. I said he was insouciant. I have no idea how he interacted with Kemmler. But like Harry, he pretty much mocks everyone he encounters. He rebels against authority.

Well, the Bob that Harry knew didn't like who he was with Kemmler. But that was more to do with who owned the skull I think. I doubt Evil Bob didn't like himself when he was with Kemmler or Cowl.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2020, 04:39:48 AM »
Yeah I remember that. I don't think it's much of a benchmark of how strong Jim's research is though.
It does show that his research often misses things that are apparent in Celtic Mythology. I'm not arguing he point that he doesn't know the difference between a Scottish and English accent. (I say English instead of British because of the comment about Jim's reading of the passage with a specific English accent. I would note that a Welsh or Scottish accent could also be considered British).

Never said anything about Lash...?
My point is that Lash has nothing to do with the element Air, and she had an air spirit baby. Therefore, I don't think Mab being the Queen of Air and Darkness means anything in regards to who is one of the parents of a spirit of intellect.

I didn't say he was insouciant with Kemmler, either. I said he was insouciant.
You said he was always insouciant. If he's always insouciant, then he was insouciant with Kemmler. I'm just saying that I don't think he was. The reason is Harry's interactions with Bob when Bob tries to kill him and Evil Bob in GS. In the basement scene, he seemed quite devoted to "the Master." Probably slavishly. In the GS interaction, he had contempt for Corpsetaker and seemed to have reverence for Kemmler.

Well, the Bob that Harry knew didn't like who he was with Kemmler. But that was more to do with who owned the skull I think.
I don't think so because Bob locked away the memories on his own initiative. He got rid of them when Harry ordered it.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2020, 05:29:40 AM »
It does show that his research often misses things that are apparent in Celtic Mythology. I'm not arguing he point that he doesn't know the difference between a Scottish and English accent. (I say English instead of British because of the comment about Jim's reading of the passage with a specific English accent. I would note that a Welsh or Scottish accent could also be considered British).
We have always referred to the character as the British Prisoner, because Harry encountered a prisoner with a British accent. It could be that a Scottish or Welsh accent could be considered a British accent...except by the Welsh and Scottish. But those wounds are very old. But the accent Jim read it in, the one he would have had in his head (mostly) when he wrote it, was English and quite a posh accent at that. Which suggests he wasn't thinking it was a Scottish character, or even a lower class character. Beyond that, who knows?

My point is that Lash has nothing to do with the element Air, and she had an air spirit baby. Therefore, I don't think Mab being the Queen of Air and Darkness means anything in regards to who is one of the parents of a spirit of intellect.
Did she? Do we have confirmation of that i.e. that Bonnie is an air spirit? A spirit of intellect she may be but beyond that...

You said he was always insouciant. If he's always insouciant, then he was insouciant with Kemmler. I'm just saying that I don't think he was. The reason is Harry's interactions with Bob when Bob tries to kill him and Evil Bob in GS. In the basement scene, he seemed quite devoted to "the Master." Probably slavishly. In the GS interaction, he had contempt for Corpsetaker and seemed to have reverence for Kemmler.

But I qualified it "when carried by Cowl or Corpsetaker". But you're getting bogged down in minutia. He might be devoted to the Master, but he indeed was contemptible of Capiocorpus and even a bit challenging to Cowl (although much less so). I suspect part of his respect to Kemmler was due to the fact Kemmler could eat him. And indeed, even Mab respected Kemmler for his mind.

I don't think so because Bob locked away the memories on his own initiative. He got rid of them when Harry ordered it.
Well, maybe he did. I mean, it's not like Justin would have wanted access to those memories or all that dark knowledge. He wasn't in to any sort of dark rituals or anything... ;)

My guess is that Justin ordered him to behave a certain way around others if discovered, like by Harry. Perhaps even when introduced to Harry in the first place. Maybe even young Justin wasn't strong enough to manage the full power of the spirit when he first encountered it. Perhaps the "Bob" persona was created in order to control the spirit more easily.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2020, 05:45:22 AM »
Did she? Do we have confirmation of that i.e. that Bonnie is an air spirit? A spirit of intellect she may be but beyond that...
I've always understood spirit of intellect and and spirit of air to be interchangeable terms.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2020, 07:38:50 AM »
It might be. But I don't think it's ever explicit.