Author Topic: Cowl's name  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Cowl's name
« on: September 07, 2020, 04:31:23 AM »
I have been wondering why he is called Cowl.

Could it be that he really chooses his moniker based on his hood?

Or perhaps it is a phonetic trick? Jim writes Cowl, but other characters are saying Cowell, or Cowel? Like the Welsh name.

But maybe it is because of his birth. Some babies are born with a caul or cowl. A caul is a sort of skin sac that covers part or sometimes the whole of the head and face of a baby. It's pretty rare (less than 1 in 80,000) normally removed rather easily, but in the past it was considered a sign of good luck and an omen that the child was destined for greatness. In some cases the caul itself was used to defend against witches and sorcerers. However in Romania it was considered that those born with a caul would become Strigoi (Vampires) upon death.

In any case, what do you think is the origin of his name?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 04:56:12 AM by Yuillegan »

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Cowl's name
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 05:29:27 AM »
I think it's because of the hood because Harry called him "dark master of evil bathrobes" immediately before he introduced himself as Cowl. It might be that he chose Cowl because of a similar joke he or Kumori made before choosing aliases.

We can be pretty sure his name isn't Cowell. If I recall correctly, Jim has said that we know who Cowl is. To my knowledge, we don't have a character named Cowell.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 05:32:30 AM »
The Cowell name might not be a name he is known by, and pronounced the same as Cowl.

Cowl doesn't seem like much of a joker...not to mention Corpsetaker knew him as Cowl. Clearly he was going by that alias before Harry referred to him as "dark master of evil bathrobes".

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 05:46:55 AM »
Cowl doesn't seem like much of a joker...not to mention Corpsetaker knew him as Cowl.
Harry seemed to think he was amused.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 01:11:49 PM »
Perhaps because Cowl was in attendance when Harry showed up at the White Council, literally wearing a bathrobe, and found the episode and the rejoinder amusing.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 05:09:27 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 04:38:06 PM »
Perhaps he meant "Call me Towel" as a riff on the bathrobes thing, and Harry, head full of goth-inspired gloom, misheard him.