Author Topic: Peace Talks First book that made Dresdenverse feel smaller -Spoilers  (Read 6337 times)

Offline gawime

• Participant
    • View Profile

Every book in the series so far helped expand the world building, at times in small ways. New antagonists; new knowledge; added characters all helped grow the Dresdenverse. Peace Talks in my mind is the first book in the entire series that bent that trajectory. I’m speaking of the Accords meeting. The Accords are supposed to be something that spans the entire supernatural world. But who do we see at chez Marcone’s? The same cast of characters we’ve always seen. That’s it? A half dozen or so powers? Where’s everyone else?

Peace talks is a deeply flawed novel...perhaps the worst in the series so far. A lot can be forgiven. But I’m not sure I can overlook taking an axe to the world building that’s been done up to now.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Peace Talks First book that made Dresdenverse feel smaller -Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 04:50:16 AM »
Every book in the series so far helped expand the world building, at times in small ways. New antagonists; new knowledge; added characters all helped grow the Dresdenverse. Peace Talks in my mind is the first book in the entire series that bent that trajectory. I’m speaking of the Accords meeting. The Accords are supposed to be something that spans the entire supernatural world. But who do we see at chez Marcone’s? The same cast of characters we’ve always seen. That’s it? A half dozen or so powers? Where’s everyone else?

Peace talks is a deeply flawed novel...perhaps the worst in the series so far. A lot can be forgiven. But I’m not sure I can overlook taking an axe to the world building that’s been done up to now.

I think it could be burnout at work, Jim going through the motions because after six years he feels
he owes us a book.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 05:10:05 AM »
I don't know. The local ones (the Svartalves, Marcone) and the globally-relevant ones (Summer and Winter, the White Court, the White Council) were there. Beings like the Jade Court and some Freeholding Lords we haven't met just might not have any interest.

Also, the Fomor's allies might show up in BG fighting on that side.

The Accords have been losing members recently... the Red Court's dead and the Denarians got kicked out, and I'm not sure if the Tylwyth Teg are still members (depends on if Gwynn ap Nudd was a Freeholding Lord or not, I think).

There's a lot of things in the Dresdenverse that we haven't seen, but I think we really have met the major powers (though not all the Freeholding Lords). Stuff that basically stays in the Nevernever, like most of the old gods, probably aren't on the Accords and have no reason to be there in PT.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 02:15:40 AM »
My main argument is still that if you read the short story bombshells you cannot be surprised that not too many people show up for a rematch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 05:13:56 AM »
My main argument is still that if you read the short story bombshells you cannot be surprised that not too many people show up for a rematch.

Bombshells it was mostly a bilateral nonaggression pact between the Svartalves and the Fomor, not as big as formal peace talks.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 06:47:37 AM »
  Bombshells it was mostly a bilateral nonaggression pact between the Svartalves and the Fomor, not as big as formal peace talks.

Sure, but Bombshells does imply that the Fomor are known to be betrayers (at least known to the Fae). So a lot of people might not really want to be there, expecting major trouble.

All the really "central" supernatural nations were there -- Winter, Summer, the White Council, the White Court (the only remaining powerful & widespread Vampire Court).

The powers we know are on the Accords but haven't met (the Jade Court, Drakul, another Dragon -- I guess Pyrovax, an Ukrainian shapeshifter guru, etc.) didn't have a reason to be there, or expected trouble and didn't need to be there enough to take the risk.

Though some might show up fighting on the Fomor's side in BG.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 08:21:54 AM »
I would note the text made clear we didn't get all the attendees; one local clan of Ghouls was expanded upon because HARRY cared. But for all the smaller others present? They sent a representative, they mingled, they didn't jump to Marcone's defence but also didn't jump on the fearful side.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 03:15:24 PM »

I don't think it is deeply flawed. It is not yet finished and JB made no secret of the fact that he basically splitted one book in two. So I would wait with condemning the whole book. We don't have all the information yet.
And I would say, that I enjoyed reading the book.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 02:06:17 AM »
Another thought on Peace Talks disappointment -- I remember being very disappointed with Ghost Story, having waited for a year to see Harry back alive and with his friends. Now, on rereads, I enjoy Ghost Story quite a bit.

I expect Peace Talks will look much better when we've read Battle Ground, and better still when we've got another book or two under our belts.

Looking forward, I expect to be disappointed at the end of Battle Ground if we see *that* the masquerade is over, but don't get to see how that falls out. I expect to be even more disappointed if the book after Battle Ground takes place entirely in a mirror universe so that we *still* don't get to see that fallout. But I expect to enjoy both books immensely anyway.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 01:11:54 AM »
Another thought on Peace Talks disappointment -- I remember being very disappointed with Ghost Story, having waited for a year to see Harry back alive and with his friends. Now, on rereads, I enjoy Ghost Story quite a bit.

I expect Peace Talks will look much better when we've read Battle Ground, and better still when we've got another book or two under our belts.

Looking forward, I expect to be disappointed at the end of Battle Ground if we see *that* the masquerade is over, but don't get to see how that falls out. I expect to be even more disappointed if the book after Battle Ground takes place entirely in a mirror universe so that we *still* don't get to see that fallout. But I expect to enjoy both books immensely anyway.

I don't think Peace Talks will ever be a fully enjoyable read by itself.  Unlike other Dresden Files novels; specifically Ghost Story and Fool Moon, both of which have often been placed on the top of least favorite Dresden Files novels lists, it doesn't tell a complete story.  For that reason it will always fall short for a large swath of readers.

If next year I was talking to someone who just started the series, I would have to warn them that while Peace Talks isn't a complete story, if you don't read it the next book won't make any sense at all.  Not that I recommending skipping any of the novels but it is easy for a newer reader to read a couple of the novels out of order and Peace Talks and Battle Ground would be an especially bad place to make that mistake.  On the other hand a new reader of the series will have the advantage of reading both books back to back.  If; for example, in the next couple of chapters of Battle Ground we start to see Harry shake his brain loose and start thinking like the detective he is, the problem I, and many other readers, had with Harry in Peace Talks will quickly fade away for that reader while we have had a couple of months to wonder why Harry is behaving the way he is.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 04:01:30 AM »

For one thing, the accords members we saw in PT are those who are involve in the fomorian conflict. This is the peace talks to end the war between the establish powers against the currently agressive fomor. Those powers who are not bordering on the sea or large body of water probably won't attend the meeting. They don't have any business there. I also suspect that the fomorian do not provoke all powers bordering their domain, nor do I believe that the fomorian has control over all of the sea. There must be other powers down there, Poseidon for example. In fact, Ghost story did told us that fomorians only provoke those that do not have champions of their own to defend them.

So what we saw in PT are those that is involve in the conflict, which not nescesarily all members of the accords. Nor does the member of the Unceli accords represents the entire supernatural powers upon planet earth, not to mentioned the powers of the NN.

Areas like mainland China and India probably is not involve in this conflict, which is probably why we haven't see the Hindu gods just yet. From this we can see that most of the fomorian conflict happens in American continent which make sense because the power vacume cause by the destruction of the red court which is the spark of this conflict is based in south america. Maybe the red court have other bases and branches in europe, africa and Asia, but I think those should be minor. It explain why Marcone can host the talks, because Chicago is indeed in the conflicted zone.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline JumpyDragon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 09:09:55 PM »
But who do we see at chez Marcone’s? The same cast of characters we’ve always seen. That’s it? A half dozen or so powers? Where’s everyone else?

If the people of the Accords are anything like the the White Council, it very could be that those not in attendance are not there because they don't want to be. How long did it take Harry to finally go to a Council meeting? He had been a wizard for years and the council meeting in SK was his first one as a full status wizard. Like Mac having his pub used as neutral ground, my guess is that a lot of the Accorded people use it for protection. As far as we know, the Nickleheads are signatories of the Accords, but was not in attendance. I'm sure Harry and Marcone would have had apoplexies with good "saint" Nic there.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 03:05:37 AM »
I don't think Peace Talks will ever be a fully enjoyable read by itself.  Unlike other Dresden Files novels; specifically Ghost Story and Fool Moon, both of which have often been placed on the top of least favorite Dresden Files novels lists, it doesn't tell a complete story.  For that reason it will always fall short for a large swath of readers.

On the reread it feels like Jim didn't know where he wanted to go with the story.  Biggest example is Rudolph and Bradley showing up at Murphy's house to question her about the bank break in and Harvey's death from Skin Game, what was the point of that?  Unless in the end if she isn't killed they suddenly arrest Murphy for murder or something like that.  Suddenly Eb is acting weird, the whole Senior Council is out to get Harry yet again, this time without even a hearing like he got in Summer Knight.  Then the whole thing with Thomas which is frankly a distraction from the Peace Talks.  I guess I am disappointed because I was expecting more infighting and politicking, which we didn't get.  At the end of Peace Talks we are just as clueless about why Thomas attacked as we were in the beginning.  Though on the reread it is easier to pick up upon the fact that Thomas was uptight about something and it was more than Justine's pregnancy.  I wouldn't be shocked if the Fomor or one of their allies conned Thomas into believing if he pulled this off they could keep Justine from dying or something like that.   

One also comes away with the fact that if Harry had known the power he has on the island aside from knowing everything thing that happens on it, Shaggy wouldn't have had a chance against him back in Turn Coat.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 11:20:07 AM by Mira »

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 05:19:17 AM »
I agree the actual Peace Talks were a bit underwhelming in terms of both number of guests and variety of factions and faces. 

While I also agree that the Peace Talks had some issues, from what I have heard from someone with an early release copy a lot of the issues are resolved.

Unfortunately, nothing solves the slightly rushed feeling of the books - particularly relating to spelling and grammar mistakes and some inconsistencies.

In saying all that, I very much enjoyed Peace Talks as a novel. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if the wait between it and Battle Ground was longer (like a year) and I would have been furious if it were any more than that. Peace Talks isn't the beginning of opening up the Dresdenverse (that's more like Changes), but it is where the pace really starts to pick up. We are given plenty of good information and we start to see the Files grow in scale.

We have had hints about how big the series is going to get but it will be fascinating to see how Jim does it (hopefully).

I am reserving my full judgement until after Battle Ground is released, at any rate.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 11:30:38 AM »
I agree the actual Peace Talks were a bit underwhelming in terms of both number of guests and variety of factions and faces. 

While I also agree that the Peace Talks had some issues, from what I have heard from someone with an early release copy a lot of the issues are resolved.

Unfortunately, nothing solves the slightly rushed feeling of the books - particularly relating to spelling and grammar mistakes and some inconsistencies.

In saying all that, I very much enjoyed Peace Talks as a novel. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if the wait between it and Battle Ground was longer (like a year) and I would have been furious if it were any more than that. Peace Talks isn't the beginning of opening up the Dresdenverse (that's more like Changes), but it is where the pace really starts to pick up. We are given plenty of good information and we start to see the Files grow in scale.

We have had hints about how big the series is going to get but it will be fascinating to see how Jim does it (hopefully).

I am reserving my full judgement until after Battle Ground is released, at any rate.

I am not saying I didn't enjoy Peace Talks, but the careful second reading are bringing a lot of WTF moments.  Harry asks a few important questions about why this is happening, even taken aback a bit by Justine's first reaction, "Does Lara know?"  However the questions are not followed up on.  The timing of the assassination attempt after his "interview" and marching orders from Mab to grant Lara her two last favors. What was the first favor she granted?  I cannot help but think given Molly's reaction to Lara in chapter three of Battleground that somehow the two are related.  I just hope that Battleground answers a lot of these questions and isn't just a lot of smoke and fury.   Or season six of Game of Thrones revisited.