Author Topic: Murphy  (Read 7745 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 06:14:41 AM »
Martin got a whole bit in Changes about how looking like you're not threatening in the middle of a big fight with obvious threats running around is it's own form of armour, so yes the non-threatening bit still applies.
  Yeah, maybe, she is small but Murphy usually doesn't act non threatening.  Maeve got shot because in her over confident insanity she failed to fully disarm her prisoners.  A gun is a great equalizer it doesn't care if the finger pulling the trigger belongs to a six foot tall linebacker or a five foot hundred pound woman.  Maeve didn't overlook Murphy, she overlooked the gun and she overlooked Mab.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 04:59:47 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks Murphy is way over powered for a run on the mill human?
No. Well, maybe not "way" over powered, but overpowered.

All of that, plus Murphy still had a gun on her, and she is trained in "shoot to kill."
Technically she's trained in "shoot to incapacitate," to aim at center mass. It's just that the result is often death. She leaves the fancy shots up to the boys in SWAT. I think that's pretty close to a direct quote from Murphy.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 05:43:05 PM »
No. Well, maybe not "way" over powered, but overpowered.
Technically she's trained in "shoot to incapacitate," to aim at center mass. It's just that the result is often death. She leaves the fancy shots up to the boys in SWAT. I think that's pretty close to a direct quote from Murphy.

We also know she is a bit of a "dead eye dick" so she is capable of fancy shots.  I think though this was at very close range if I remember correctly so the head shot may have been easier to pull off than the body shot.  Also, cannot remember exactly, but did or didn't Harry tell her that Mab wanted Maeve dead?  Add that Maeve had just shot Lily dead, so well motivated to shoot to kill.

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2020, 03:40:55 AM »
All of that, plus Murphy still had a gun on her, and she is trained in "shoot to kill."   However none of it would have been possible if Mab hadn't freed her in the first place.I doubt the fights in the next book are going to be fair. 
But in the mayhem of the battle field?

Mab have to free her and she also has to be able to take the opportunity. That alone is a skill.

What I want to say is that even the likes of Murphy could have her uses in the right time and place. The smallest nail could possibly end up determining the victory or defeat of the battle.

And Indeed. If you put Murphy in the front charge as some kind of infantry soldier, Murphy would be dead. At this rate, a turtle neck goon would pose more danger to Murphy compare to Ethniu. But chances are high that Murphy would not be in such a frontline charge.

She is following Harry. Which means she is going to conduct special operations type of activity instead of an infantry charge. She is going to be there facing the big baddies with Harry beside her in a relatively not so chaotic battle. And Harry as we know, has max out his taunting and drawing Aggro skill. Add Murphy's own stealth bonus I mentioned before,, she has a reasonably decent chance to survive as long as Harry could draw hate and tank properly which should provide opportunities Murphy could capitalize.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2020, 07:14:40 AM »
We have already had a whole series of scenes where Harry used a potion to appear to be background and unimportant. He was unimportant to Ethnui but the Athame and the swords won’t be, and her attention will be drawn to those.

We also had the whole misdirection shtick as well, so I presume Harry will bring on Mac to misdirect. Getting Mac may be Murphys job, she understands family and divorce. Murphy  “So he helped kill your father, my SECOND ex-husband married my YOUNGER sister!” Ethnui “the b@stard!”

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2020, 10:23:48 AM »
Mab have to free her and she also has to be able to take the opportunity. That alone is a skill.

What I want to say is that even the likes of Murphy could have her uses in the right time and place. The smallest nail could possibly end up determining the victory or defeat of the battle.

And Indeed. If you put Murphy in the front charge as some kind of infantry soldier, Murphy would be dead. At this rate, a turtle neck goon would pose more danger to Murphy compare to Ethniu. But chances are high that Murphy would not be in such a frontline charge.

She is following Harry. Which means she is going to conduct special operations type of activity instead of an infantry charge. She is going to be there facing the big baddies with Harry beside her in a relatively not so chaotic battle. And Harry as we know, has max out his taunting and drawing Aggro skill. Add Murphy's own stealth bonus I mentioned before,, she has a reasonably decent chance to survive as long as Harry could draw hate and tank properly which should provide opportunities Murphy could capitalize.

Except she isn't physically up to any of that.  She proved that in Peace Talks, oh there were a couple of brief flashes, but she isn't up to what you describe above.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 11:11:49 AM »
Murphy won’t even be able to drive for Harry, all cars in Chicago are done, and even if the Munstermobile is working  she can’t reach the pedals. He even mentions it is a dinosaur resistant to a lot of magic and survives Harry’s veil.

Talking of dinosaurs this why I think Sue will be in play, Dresden steering with Murphy, Lara and Freydis behind him in that exact order. Harry doesn’t  trust Lara and Murphy doesn’t trust Freydis . Sues top speed is about twice that of Harrys’ and whilst Freydis and Lara could keep up, Murphy couldn’t

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2020, 01:51:32 PM »
Murphy won’t even be able to drive for Harry, all cars in Chicago are done, and even if the Munstermobile is working  she can’t reach the pedals. He even mentions it is a dinosaur resistant to a lot of magic and survives Harry’s veil.

Talking of dinosaurs this why I think Sue will be in play, Dresden steering with Murphy, Lara and Freydis behind him in that exact order. Harry doesn’t  trust Lara and Murphy doesn’t trust Freydis . Sues top speed is about twice that of Harrys’ and whilst Freydis and Lara could keep up, Murphy couldn’t

One still has to climb up on a dinosaur, even if Sue got on her belly, Murphy's knee and shoulder are still not functioning very well for climbing and pulling up.  Harry could lift her up I suppose, but if he has to do that, she isn't in good enough physical shape.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 02:59:52 PM by Mira »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2020, 03:23:03 PM »
Freydis would very willingly give her a leg up.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2020, 03:25:53 PM »
Freydis would very willingly give her a leg up.

Yeah, but Murphy might think she is hitting on her... ::)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2020, 03:33:29 PM »
If Harry calls Sue he will need a drummer.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2020, 04:49:04 PM »

Freydis will be hitting on her.

Not sure whether a drummer would be required, this isn’t a zombie version, no bones for one thing, but Murphy would call Shotgun (or more accurately P90)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2020, 07:39:52 PM »
Martin got a whole bit in Changes about how looking like you're not threatening in the middle of a big fight with obvious threats running around is it's own form of armour, so yes the non-threatening bit still applies.

Martin was also physically fit, and he was playing both sides. 

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2020, 09:33:23 PM »
Not sure whether a drummer would be required, this isn’t a zombie version, no bones for one thing

It could be... the skeleton is still in the Field Museum isn't it?

But Harry might infuse it with Soulfire and make it more alive, possibly, and then it might not need a drummer.

But I don't know if Sue will show up at all, the Council is already concerned about Harry, and it's not strictly necessary the way it was in DB.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2020, 10:40:58 PM »
Yes, Sue is still in residence but this would take a diversion to the Field Museum when time is of the essence, and it fits the circumstances given all modern vehicles are kaput, and the city is dark very like Dead Beat which it should remind him of.

Besides it provides a love interest for Ferrovax, which would be an interesting sub-plot.

Jim has said Sue would return, this would be the obvious point and conjuritis is obviously for something, perhaps Harry will sneeze out four bicycles. Besides Jim would just love the agony of Harry sneezing out a dinosaur and having to clear the ectoplasm from his sinus’s. Jim lives to hurt and embarrass Harry in new ways, his creations must suffer. The question is whether Harry is going to claim he did it on purpose or admit that it was an accident.

Note they went to the Marina in a rented car because Murphy’s feet don’t reach the pedals of the Munstermobile. So the rented car they travelled in would have been a bust.