Author Topic: Would the Blackstaff insulate against the effects of using the power of the Well  (Read 2324 times)

Offline paris

• Participant
    • View Profile
Harry didn't use the power of the well before because he knew it would corrupt him.  Isn't that what the blackstaff does, prevent corruption from the use of this kind of power?  So, if Harry eventually gets the blackstaff he now has clean/filtered access to all the power of the well?  And does only The Warden have the ability to tap that power?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Harry didn't use the power of the well before because he knew it would corrupt him.  Isn't that what the blackstaff does, prevent corruption from the use of this kind of power?  So, if Harry eventually gets the blackstaff he now has clean/filtered access to all the power of the well?  And does only The Warden have the ability to tap that power?
It was introduced via the Denarians using it in Small Favour so no, anybody can use it on the island.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
The well is the source of a number of key lines, it is those which can be tapped, rather than the well itself by third parties. Cowl in Deadbeat did this way before the island even featured.

Online The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
That would imply Lucifer is in the Well, as Uriel was allowed to act in balance of what Harry described as Lucifers power. Or do to mean they used it in some other way? The first time they tried the symbol it wasn't on DR either.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
The well is the source of a number of key lines, it is those which can be tapped, rather than the well itself by third parties. Cowl in Deadbeat did this way before the island even featured.
Eh, my money is still on Cowl using the leyline of disruptive energy right in the middle of town for that particular project.
That would imply Lucifer is in the Well, as Uriel was allowed to act in balance of what Harry described as Lucifers power. Or do to mean they used it in some other way? The first time they tried the symbol it wasn't on DR either.
They were using it for the veil that was blocking Mab's tracking spells and for containing Ivy.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Online The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Eh, my money is still on Cowl using the leyline of disruptive energy right in the middle of town for that particular project.They were using it for the veil that was blocking Mab's tracking spells and for containing Ivy.
ahh, I don't think I realized that before.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile

Lucifer's very-unsubtle contribution in Small Favor was the massive rush of hellfire that was used to power the two giant hellfire pentagrams: the first that let them capture Marcone and the second that sprung the ambush at the aquarium.

Online The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Lucifer's very-unsubtle contribution in Small Favor was the massive rush of hellfire that was used to power the two giant hellfire pentagrams: the first that let them capture Marcone and the second that sprung the ambush at the aquarium.
this I know, somehow I replied to a comment that doesn't exist 🤔🤷‍♂️

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The interesting question is what happens if all the Checkov's guns go off:

1) Harry uses a Darkhallow
2) On Demonreach
3) While holding the Blackstaff

I mean, what's the staff's limit? Does it effectively complete the prison? Can it work on magic you already did (ie, will it cleanse Harry's magic of Justin at this late date?)

Online The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
The interesting question is what happens if all the Checkov's guns go off:

1) Harry uses a Darkhallow
2) On Demonreach
3) While holding the Blackstaff

I mean, what's the staff's limit? Does it effectively complete the prison? Can it work on magic you already did (ie, will it cleanse Harry's magic of Justin at this late date?)
in theory, mouse has already cleansed Harry's old black magic from him.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
When? Because Harry comments on his magic being tainted many times.

Still the overall question. If Harry "eats" the beasties in Demonreach:

1) He's not concerned about Nemesis, he's Starborn
2) If he has the Blackstaff, he's not concerned about their corruption, either
3) Also, he becomes something that merits the opening line of Storm Front.

Online The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Nobody else has mentioned his tainted magic since he got mouse, but that's why I say in theory. Since it's part of what he does, I can't imagine him not cleansing harry.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 10:51:19 PM by The_Sibelis »

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
3) Also, he becomes something that merits the opening line of Storm Front.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
That one? I'm guessing you mean "Conjure by it at your own risk." It's one of the closing lines of the book.