Author Topic: Dresden Comicon@Home Tidbit for Battle Ground  (Read 10742 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Dresden Comicon@Home Tidbit for Battle Ground
« on: July 25, 2020, 12:13:49 PM »
Jim is asked “what is the first frivolous thing Harry buys with his gym sock full of diamonds”

Jim’s reply.

(click to show/hide)

This appears to confirm fan theories following
(click to show/hide)

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Comicon@Home Tidbit for Battle Ground
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 12:43:18 PM »
Unless by "the great hall" he means the giant living room of Molly's svartalf apartment. It's described in Cold Days as:
The living room was the size of a basketball court, and it had eleven-foot ceilings.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 01:00:19 PM »
Somehow I think neither Harry, nor the Swartalves are going to be happy to see him back in residence, and it just doesn’t feel like home to Harry, whereas the Munstermobile is already ‘his’ car. Probably because it is as idiosyncratic as the Blue Beetle. Mab knew what she was doing.

The Swartalves are also sticklers for people not making their own modifications to their property. Woe betide the person who puts up posters in their place with pins, it’s blu tac or nothing, and it has to be the type of blu tac which doesn’t leave marks. Gedwig would check. YOU KNOW HE WOULD.

With modifications and repairs it is likely that the property wouldn’t be ready to move in for several months. Harry would want to make it more well, like Harry, and a lot less like it’s previous owner, hence the  purchase. It explains why he is at the Carpenters on Christmas Eve.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 02:39:42 PM »
Is this a good place to bring up (once again) that the size of Marcone's castle seems to exceed the size of the old house Harry lived under?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 03:09:14 PM »
Is this a good place to bring up (once again) that the size of Marcone's castle seems to exceed the size of the old house Harry lived under?

His Brownie cleaning service is going to demand more payment... 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 03:28:29 PM »
Harry can have a TARDIS if he wants one.

Seriously the mini castle takes up virtually the entire footprint of the old plot, not just the footprint of the old building, and there were gardens because part had been set aside for Mouse’s various transactions, and paths for Harry ti shovel. The castle goes to 6 inches of the sidewalk, and we don’t know if Marcone bought land from adjacent owners, he could have done so on three sides. People don’t say no to him, and he would likely buy those buildings anyhow to obtain control of the immediate environment. There is no on-site parking.

It is three story’s with a basement and of course a sub-basement, the basement is likely to be much larger than the previous basement, we know that the basement contains the laundry room and a corridor with doors leading off from each side leading to the sub basement trap door. Most likely the Einenjaren quarters

First Floor is the Great Hall,  through a guard post and double doors taking up most of the building footprint. There is a store room on this floor. Second Floor is the gym large enough for a boxing ring and the corridor leading to the conference room. Second Floor we get no details in PT, GS or SG but is presumably the residential part of the building where the families stay.

The roof is flat and accessible providing a further space for use.

My guess is Harry would have the basement converted into an apartment, two bigger bedrooms, bigger kitchen and bathroom, retain the laundry room separate for the entire building. The remainder of the building would likely be used for Warden and Paranet business, after repair and the Great Hall when empty for 1 on 1 with the GateKeeper, Vadderung or Irwin Pounder, but not Murphy. She cheats.

Harry is likely to need staff, Paranetters probably for a building that size in such use. I kind of think Abbey would make an excellent Reception Manager, with Toto in tow. He would need housekeeping staff (the Brownies would unionise if they had to do the entire building)  say a custodian and a housekeeper.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 03:38:59 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 03:33:34 PM »

Pizza ovens,  he has to include a special kitchen to accommodate the mass production of pizza for  Major-general Toot and his army.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 03:45:10 PM »
Pizza Oven on the roof, with a barbecue for summer entertaining.

The only problem is that it might become a shrine to the Za Lord.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 03:46:59 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 03:45:32 PM »
They also say in Ghost Story that people are living there, paranetters passing through, venatori, etc, etc.  There are apartments, a day care, armory, and jail (which appears to be the subbasement).

With it being used by such a large number of people, I can't see Harry just taking over sole ownership, Marcone aside.  If anything he'd move in and have a space for himself and Maggie in the basement, but I doubt he'd evict anyone.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 04:30:45 PM »
Another thought: Butcher has previously been noted as liking the old Gargoyles cartoon.  In it, a castle was relocated from the old world to New York and rebuilt as it was. Now we've seen Marcone do the same, and his castle even has Gargoyles.

So at what point does someone dub it with the nickname Castle Wyvern?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 04:36:19 PM »
They also say in Ghost Story that people are living there, paranetters passing through, venatori, etc, etc.  There are apartments, a day care, armory, and jail (which appears to be the subbasement).

With it being used by such a large number of people, I can't see Harry just taking over sole ownership, Marcone aside.  If anything he'd move in and have a space for himself and Maggie in the basement, but I doubt he'd evict anyone.

Since Harry will have realized by this time that he is a real target and considering what happened to the first apartment building, I just cannot see him moving in and putting others in danger.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 06:25:45 PM »
He is a target, but the Castle is well protected and I can see him adding to it’s protection. In the old house he got terribly afraid of fire being used against the house and this was borne out. The castle is stone, that won’t happen. I can see it being used by wardens and trainees, venatori and those Paranetters aware of the risk. Marcone himself was no small target.

Harry isn’t really a people person as he says himself, with one exception, he enjoys teaching. Here he would have the facilities to teach, Wardens, trainees, Paranetters even vanilla mortals. Forget Castle Wyvern, everyone is going to call it Hogwarts.

Offline kel0700

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2020, 09:05:31 PM »
Jim said harry would be getting a new position of authority.
There's only around 50 old guard wardens left. If they get killed in battle ground and harry successfully destroys or locks up the titan, I reckon harry will be made captain of the wardens. The great hall Jim is referring to could be at Edinburgh.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 10:19:55 PM »
Harry wouldn’t leave Chicago, his family are there his friends are there and Demonreach is there. His trapdoor is there. He loves that trapdoor. More importantly Mab wants him there. He is there at Christmas Eve. More likely he would move a lot of Warden operations to Chicago, it is a much bigger transport hub than Edinburgh, meaning it has more connections with the Never Never allowing for better Warden deployment and the three largest problems in the last few decades have been the Red Court based in South America, the heirs of Kemmler (Chicago) and the Titan attack (also Chicago). Edinburgh not so much unless you count the problems building the tram system. If Luccio is tapped for the Senior Council it would be a little awkward for her to work day in and out with Harry (the sorry tale of workplace romances) so a bit of distance may be order.

Now if only Harry had access to a large fortified building with wards equivalent to Edinburgh in which to work out of with residential facilities, a gym, a boardroom for meetings and a large hall for operations/ training/ function space, he could work from home, a lot of people are doing it now and it is time to drag the White Council kicking and screaming into the world of 20th century employment practices.......hmmmm.

It would also help if Harry had an isolated but secure baby Warden training facility, call it Camp Spooky which doubled up as a supermax prison where he could set up a juvenile wing for young warlocks instead of executing them which as a former young warlock is something he strongly dissapproves of and handily can now practically end.....hmmmmmm.

His use of Demonreach will be widely known after Battle Ground, the Senior Council will have to recognise that he is The Warden, definitive article, not a Warden. The Wardens are named after The Warden, and I suspect Captain of Wardens exists as post when there is no Warden (definitive article). For all we know Warden was a Senior Council post like Merlin, or GateKeeper which lapsed when no one was stupid enough to claim Demonreach as a sanctum. Then along came Harry.  Chandler is a historian, he would know (now isn’t that handy that we just found that out, and he is for once in Chicago)

I would point out that there is a large amount of super warded stone on Demonreach in the ruined lighthouse, only a quarter of which was used to build the cottage, Harry can use the remainder for either building on his castle, or for building something like a bunkhouse for trainees on Demonreach itself, just need Alfred to block wardens from the Islands influence, which Harry has handily realised Alfred can probably do. This would be handy as there are increasing numbers of Wizards in need of training.

I think Harry is going to realise that he has through his choices and circumstance painted himself into a corner with the White Council and not the one he thought he had, instead of being pushed out, he is going to be pushed much further in.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 11:12:57 PM »
Jim is asked “what is the first frivolous thing Harry buys with his gym sock full of diamonds”

Jim’s reply.

(click to show/hide)

This appears to confirm fan theories following
(click to show/hide)

If that’s the case:

(click to show/hide)
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC