Author Topic: After Maths  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
After Maths
« on: July 22, 2020, 07:58:59 PM »
What is going to happen after the titular Battle in Battleground. We get a little peek in Christmas Eve, but if Harry’s intended plan comes off, two major revelations will occur to the Accord powers, the Fomor, and the Black Council

1. Harry is Warden of Demonreach, and
2. Harry has access to objects of power the like which has not been seen for millennia

Harry will be announcing himself as effectively a supernatural nuclear power.

Within the White Council there are a further three possible revelations which may or may not come to light.

4. Harry is Brother to Thomas Raith;
5. Eb is Harry’s grandfather
6. Harry beat Eb, the unbeatable Blackstaff
7. Maggie is his daughter

Harry may decide to release this information to clarify his actions, and to stymie Eb from taking Maggie. Nick already knows about Maggie so keeping it quiet isn’t a long term solution, being a nuclear power may be.

On top of this the use of the Placard allows for one further revelation

8.Chicago officially has to acknowledge the supernatural.

Does this all add up?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: After Maths
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 08:27:19 PM »

Maybe to nine and a half.... ::)   But I was never good at math..  ???

Offline Bacail

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 08:56:27 PM »
6. Harry beat Eb, the unbeatable Blackstaff

Harry tricked Eb.  And neither of them were going for the kill.  if Eb wanted Harry dead, Harry would be capital D Dead.  What Harry did was the equivalent to throwing sand in Eb's face and running like a mouse.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 09:31:03 PM »
What happened with 3?

1, 2 we don't know if he is going to be the Warden after BG and if he will be keeping the weapons.

The others, I don't know how much will be revealed, but we know that after BG there will be still a White Council and Harry will still be a member. We also know he is still the WK and Winter good graces. What else? Well, Mab, Molly, Vadderung, Sarissa, Michael, Maggie and Mouse are alive. Harry had to say "too many goodbyes" and I can stop hurting thinking on that. (Oh, please, let Mister be well)

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 12:19:59 AM »
I asked whether it added up. ;D

These are revelations and whether someone tries to take  Demonreach or the weapons away from him, they can try, but only after it has been revealed that he has these things. I think that having Mab’s hitter have access to these things in protection of the Accord powers will help them sleep at night. They have seen Mab vulnerable, they also see her Knight capable of taking the fight to a Titan.

And yes Misters death would outrage fans far more than Murphys’s

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 01:45:19 AM »
He didn't beat Ebenezar though. He tricked him.

I don't think either of them wants anyone else on the Council to know about what went down on the dock. Harry won't spill the truth about Thomas publicly if he can at all avoid it, especially if they find a way to heal him and bring him out of stasis any time soon. And going public with the fact that Ebenezar would have killed Karrin and/or Harry without even using the blackstaff if Harry hadn't tricked him would raise some serious questions from Langtry about his fitness to continue in his job (if he survives BG, which I wouldn't bet on at all).

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 02:26:10 AM »
He didn't beat Ebenezar though. He tricked him.

I don't think either of them wants anyone else on the Council to know about what went down on the dock. Harry won't spill the truth about Thomas publicly if he can at all avoid it, especially if they find a way to heal him and bring him out of stasis any time soon. And going public with the fact that Ebenezar would have killed Karrin and/or Harry without even using the blackstaff if Harry hadn't tricked him would raise some serious questions from Langtry about his fitness to continue in his job (if he survives BG, which I wouldn't bet on at all).

Yeah, that is why Harry was in tears, Eb lost it, the Blackstaff isn't supposed to lose it, ever.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 11:49:26 AM »
Harry cheated, using Eb’s emotions against him, but that’s the point cheating is allowed. Harry wasn’t out to kill Eb, he just needed to get the Water Beetle out far enough to make it impossible for Eb to follow. He achieved his aim through planning and not luck. He beat Eb fair and square. Harry outwitted the craftiest wizard in a fight.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 12:26:49 PM »
Harry cheated, using Eb’s emotions against him, but that’s the point cheating is allowed. Harry wasn’t out to kill Eb, he just needed to get the Water Beetle out far enough to make it impossible for Eb to follow. He achieved his aim through planning and not luck. He beat Eb fair and square. Harry outwitted the craftiest wizard in a fight.

You might say Harry cheated, but what he really did was find a work around.  He anticipated that Eb might try to stop him, he knew he didn't have the skills, experience, nor if push really came to shove the Blackstaff to defeat him, so he came up with a plan.  It worked and he won because he survived, but it also revealed that Eb is out of control.  If Eb had been in control and thinking, he may have spotted that it was a double he was fighting, or better yet, he may have actually talked to Harry instead of trying to intimidate him..  Face it, Harry doesn't respond to intimidation very well, coming towards him riding a small mountain was an attempt at that.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 12:32:00 PM by Mira »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 03:37:21 PM »
He’s a wizard they cheat, we have it from the best of authorities, Mouse.

Eb was underestimating Harry, it is clear when Harry deflected rather than tried to outright destroy the Boulder that Harry had become far more subtle than the raw apprentice he knew. That should have signalled Eb to take care, but he didn’t and Harry was able to play him.

And Eb is out of control, a piece of information Harry didn’t previously have and now Harry is aware that Eb is capable of doing things as a member of the senior council which are wrong and purely selfish. Harry is now open to the possibility of Eb’s involvement in Thomas’ attack on Etri, to destroy Thomas and set a Svartalf/Whitecourt war in motion for his own vindictive reasons. Of course if Thomas was examined by someone like the Archive or the Winter Lady, both of whom could have been appointed as Emissary they might have determined any mental meddling. I think Eb had his own plan to kill Thomas which the rescue interrupted, hence the attack on Harry. Harry put Ed’s neck in the noose.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 03:53:21 PM »
Eb was underestimating Harry, it is clear when Harry deflected rather than tried to outright destroy the Boulder that Harry had become far more subtle than the raw apprentice he knew. That should have signalled Eb to take care, but he didn’t and Harry was able to play him.
Normally Eb wouldn't, but he isn't thinking... When one goes that far down the emotional tubes into
anger, thinking goes out the window.  Contrast with Harry, who was thinking, thus the preplanning with Molly.
And Eb is out of control, a piece of information Harry didn’t previously have and now Harry is aware that Eb is capable of doing things as a member of the senior council which are wrong and purely selfish. Harry is now open to the possibility of Eb’s involvement in Thomas’ attack on Etri, to destroy Thomas and set a Svartalf/Whitecourt war in motion for his own vindictive reasons. Of course if Thomas was examined by someone like the Archive or the Winter Lady, both of whom could have been appointed as Emissary they might have determined any mental meddling. I think Eb had his own plan to kill Thomas which the rescue interrupted, hence the attack on Harry. Harry put Ed’s neck in the noose.

I wouldn't go that far yet, it wouldn't account for Eb losing it the way he did.  As myself and many have said, the holder of the Blackstaff doesn't lose his temper, he has to think and be in control at all times least the Staff be abused.   I think the problem is medical, either dementia of some sort or even and I'd hate if it was, infection from Nemesis.. I say the last because that seems to be the catch all everyone uses to explain behavior.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 04:34:02 PM »
Medical most likely, Nemesis allows those subject to restrictions on the use of power to use their power without restriction. The laws of Magic are laws not restrictions. Eb has since he received the Blackstaff he has been able to break the Laws on Magic irrespective of Nemesis. For a Wizard, Nemesis would allow them to break their word without diminishing their power.

Eb probably only allows Listens to doctor him, but Listens himself is near his end his faculties are waning, and Peabody’s influence only made things worse for Eb, accelerating his control issues.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 04:39:20 PM »
Eb probably only allows Listens to doctor him, but Listens himself is near his end his faculties are waning, and Peabody’s influence only made things worse for Eb, accelerating his control issues.

That could very well be, and it makes sense as far as outside of Luccio, it was never mentioned whether or not other exposed wizards were ever physically examined for brain damage or lasting
psychological effects from the ink.  The only thing mentioned if I remember correctly, was all the decisions made in the past ten years had to be reexamined.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 05:29:22 PM »
Peabody’s ink was insidious, it made the Senior Council more like their natural proclivities, with the Merlin, more defensive and political, with Eb, more angry and ready for a fight, all with aim of destabilising the Senior Council. It worked, and may not have been readily undone, even knowing this the Senior Council may have been unable to tell where they ended and Peabody’s influence began, especially if it triggered other medical problems.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 08:15:49 PM »
Peabody’s ink was insidious, it made the Senior Council more like their natural proclivities, with the Merlin, more defensive and political, with Eb, more angry and ready for a fight, all with aim of destabilising the Senior Council. It worked, and may not have been readily undone, even knowing this the Senior Council may have been unable to tell where they ended and Peabody’s influence began, especially if it triggered other medical problems.

Actually that isn't uncommon with patients with dementia, stroke, or personality changes after severe brain injury.