Author Topic: What is Lara's problem? [PT Spoilers!]  (Read 19114 times)

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: What is Lara's problem? [PT Spoilers!]
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2020, 12:28:09 PM »
One thing that seems a bit odd to me was that Mab threatened Lara not to eat Harry. But maybe that was just normal winter marking territory and not Mab protecting Harry.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2020, 12:50:12 PM »
One thing that seems a bit odd to me was that Mab threatened Lara not to eat Harry. But maybe that was just normal winter marking territory and not Mab protecting Harry.

Practically speaking, Mab needs her Winter Knight.  She doesn't need him fed upon until death, nor does she need him made into pleasure slave.  She needs Harry, even if he is a pain in her ass, to have all his wits about him, hence the warning.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2020, 02:51:59 PM »
Just take it literally. The knight is part of her household so why would Mab accept Lara eating Harry when Harry was sent to help Lara? That would not reflect well on Mab.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2020, 09:15:33 PM »
Well, she talks about not being in total control of her hunger at the talks, well before she gives most of her energy to Thomas. She should be well-fed then and therefore not have any control issues.
Being well fed doesn't mean all is well. After her first scene, her brother's set to be executed. I wouldn't call that "all's well." She's bound to be emotional.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2020, 08:04:10 AM »
I was just thinking that Nic was a lot more likely to damage her knight that Lara, but he did not get a warning. Then again the situation was of course very different. I just think it is the first time she has ever warned anyone that she will be angry if they did something bad to Harry.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2020, 10:05:22 AM »
I was just thinking that Nic was a lot more likely to damage her knight that Lara, but he did not get a warning. Then again the situation was of course very different. I just think it is the first time she has ever warned anyone that she will be angry if they did something bad to Harry.
Lara is a fellow member of the accords and Mab and Lara are allied. Mab does not want Lara to betray her because that would create unwelcome complications and Lara does not want to betray Mab for obvious reasons. Nicodemus betraying Harry too early is no problem for Mab and might give Harry an opportunity to do something.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2020, 03:58:40 PM »
I just think it is the first time she has ever warned anyone that she will be angry if they did something bad to Harry.

I think so. But I think part of the issue here is that Nic's favor was pre-specified (help steal the Holy Grail), whereas Lara got two unspecified favors. So without Mab doing this, Lara could have made one of her favors "let me control your mind/consume your life energy" and the Mantle would impede Harry fighting back, I think.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2020, 04:23:02 PM »
Remember Mab did some caveats too. "Nothing you wouldn't ask me" and all that.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2020, 04:32:38 PM »
Remember Mab did some caveats too. "Nothing you wouldn't ask me" and all that.

Yeah, exactly. Mab had to be a lot more careful in this case because the favors were open-ended.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2020, 07:24:18 PM »
That is a good point and makes good sense :-)

I love that she cast herself as the bears and Lara as Goldilocks in her threat :-D (I did not get when reading the book, only thinking it over afterwards)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2020, 07:51:36 PM »
I did get it when reading the book but I actually found it weird. Specially because Goldilocks is not strictly a fairy tale, which would have been more understandable coming from Mab.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2020, 08:23:56 PM »
That's Mab telling Lara that she's loaning a tool, not feeding her dinner.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 08, 2020, 12:15:22 AM »
I think Lara’s problem is that she desperately wants to be a mother, but I suspect female Whamps are even less fertile than the males, and the two men she would consider as father material are the two men who won’t sleep with her.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2020, 12:32:50 PM »
That could actually be a pretty good point. They won't be with her, but are both with Mab instead.

Just a thought, it would not really have helped Lara to have a favour left at demonreach. When Harry had imprisoned Thomas, what would she do with it? Ask him to take him out and let him die on the beach? She could have avoided Harry using Thomas as leverage after the Fomor fight, but the main advantage of the leverage would be during the Fomor fight anyway.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 08, 2020, 01:43:19 PM »
But both are as regards their free will, admittedly Harry was backed into a corner.