Author Topic: Peace talks, battle ground, blackstaff spoilers  (Read 6924 times)

Offline Linnemir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Peace talks, battle ground, blackstaff spoilers
« on: July 19, 2020, 06:29:15 PM »
While weve been talking about the next wizard to wield the  Blackstaff,  I had an odd thought. We've assumed that it's Granny Winter's missing walking stick. What if Harry to get possession of of it for whatever reason .... and she reqiured the Winter Knight to return it to her?
A mind is a terrible thing to lose ... now, where the heck did I leave mine?

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
Re: Peace talks, battle ground, blackstaff spoilers
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 06:32:40 PM »
Then Granny Winter is suddenly mobile again.  That certainly couldn't go bad for anyone.  Whoever would think that?!  ;D
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Smaug with OCD

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 06:46:01 PM »
That's a very real possibility, I think. Unless, Harry loses the mantle beforehand.

But, you sparked a thought in my head(that poor, tired, fat hamster...). Black Staff. Two words. The same number of letters. Does anyone think this might be a future book title?
Cookies are awesome. Join the Dark Side.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 07:11:46 PM »
I do not think the white council would have mother winters walking stick for so long if it was not meant to be that way.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 07:18:50 PM »
Then Granny Winter is suddenly mobile again.  That certainly couldn't go bad for anyone.  Whoever would think that?!  ;D

Actually I don't think that would be a bad thing, considering climate change, of course we don't need an ice age.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 07:51:52 PM »
I don't think she'd take it back until the Apocalypse.

But I just had a thought.  We said in another thread that it'd be cool if the Council voted to keep Harry, which would be big for him.  He'd feel wanted and valued and appreciated.

But what if instead, Eb does die, and gives Harry the Blackstaff.  Then he finds out that the Council voted him out, but they have to keep him against their own wishes or risk losing the staff.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 08:13:41 PM »
If Granny Winter being active again was necessary in the BAT, it neatly solves the dilemma of not having an obvious successor to Eb.  Like Grifter said, I don't think it would happen until the BAT, though.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 02:31:35 AM »
I don't think she'd take it back until the Apocalypse.

But I just had a thought.  We said in another thread that it'd be cool if the Council voted to keep Harry, which would be big for him.  He'd feel wanted and valued and appreciated.

But what if instead, Eb does die, and gives Harry the Blackstaff.  Then he finds out that the Council voted him out, but they have to keep him against their own wishes or risk losing the staff.
That'd be ackward for the Senior Council because I'm pretty sure the office and actual staff aren't common knowledge among members of the Council. Harry still doesn't know what it is.

That's a very real possibility, I think. Unless, Harry loses the mantle beforehand.

But, you sparked a thought in my head(that poor, tired, fat hamster...). Black Staff. Two words. The same number of letters. Does anyone think this might be a future book title?
I don't think the double meaning of black staff will play too well these days. Speaking of double meaning, what's the double meaning of peace talks. There's the obvious talks that happen. What's the other meaning? The "talks" between Harry and Eb, Harry and Lara, or maybe Molly and her parents (because those were supposed to happen when it was all one book)?

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 03:06:35 AM »
I think the answer is the word play. Peace Talks was always meant to be the most violent book to date, and I think the double meaning could be that the Talks are in Pieces (shattered by the machinations of the Black Council etc).

The obvious answer is merely that at the Peace Talks nothing of the sort happened, but I like mine better.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 10:58:16 AM »
I think the answer is the word play. Peace Talks was always meant to be the most violent book to date, and I think the double meaning could be that the Talks are in Pieces (shattered by the machinations of the Black Council etc).

The obvious answer is merely that at the Peace Talks nothing of the sort happened, but I like mine better.

Agreed,  I was hoping for the politics behind the Talks, and why suddenly everyone was out for Harry.   I think the book would have been better served if we had more about that and less about the attempt to spring Thomas..  Or at least Harry getting a handle on the why of it.  As I said there were a few chapters that were written very well, the one where Marcone sounds more like Harry.  I find it odd that the gouls were signers of the Accords, when ever they have shown up in the stories, it has been on the other side.  When did that happen?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 12:34:16 PM »
Agreed,  I was hoping for the politics behind the Talks, and why suddenly everyone was out for Harry.   I think the book would have been better served if we had more about that and less about the attempt to spring Thomas..  Or at least Harry getting a handle on the why of it.  As I said there were a few chapters that were written very well, the one where Marcone sounds more like Harry.  I find it odd that the gouls were signers of the Accords, when ever they have shown up in the stories, it has been on the other side.  When did that happen?
The red court was also a member. The Fomor too. The denarians at one time.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 05:07:43 PM »
Also, it was just the LaChaise ghoul clan.  Presumably there are other weaker clans out there.

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 07:01:07 PM »
Peace Talks...Lots of family stuff happening. Maybe the peace talk is more about finding peace between Eb, Harry, Thomas, et al. Murphy finds peace with herself and her injuries. Just think it's more than the accorded nations. (My obvious statement for the day)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 08:04:32 PM »
Peace Talks...Lots of family stuff happening. Maybe the peace talk is more about finding peace between Eb, Harry, Thomas, et al. Murphy finds peace with herself and her injuries. Just think it's more than the accorded nations. (My obvious statement for the day)

Perhaps, but it seemed more like declaring war than making peace.

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 09:00:52 PM »
Perhaps, but it seemed more like declaring war than making peace.

Agreed at this point. Gotta find resolution afterwards. Make Peace with those you love even if it's difficult.