Author Topic: Murphy  (Read 9413 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2020, 05:29:30 PM »
Thank you for the Pony, if it makes it into the series Harry will have a ton of my little pony wisecracks at  Murphy’s expense.

I think if Murphy goes Valkyrie or Einenjaher her contract would go to the CPD and she gets an much expanded SI back as Captain. Her career killed two marriages, I doubt she would want another serious relationship to fall and would want a less serious relationahip with Harry i am not sure Harry would want. I note no Harry, Murphy, Maggie scenes so back to friendship for Harry. STILL a better love life than Carlos.

I think the City authorities have finally met a supernatural challenge they can’t ignore, and Harry knows this, it is why he took the Placard. A placard is a communications device which would useful during the Battle if Harry can use it to communicate to the people to stay indoors behind their thresholds and arm themselves about home invasion. He could also use it to communicate to the CPD officers a rallying point for Murphy. Afterwards he can use it to communicate the all clear and explain what has just happened. If something like that does happen, the City authorities are going to fall over themselves re-hiring Murphy as a Captain and let her build SI as she wants, Swartalf weapons, Harry back as a consultant and other Paranetters as consultants, as much mortal manpower and firepower as she needs etc.

Murphy would get everything she ever wanted. Harry wouldn’t

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2020, 06:37:12 PM »
I just thought, this may be foreshadowed by the other Captain Murphy, Captain Collin ‘Jack’ Murphy still doing the job despite his demise, there would be no reason why the two couldn’t liaise to deal with manifesting mad ghosts, surely  Harry and Mortie could work something out for posthumous witnesses and the like.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2020, 08:03:12 PM »
I just thought, this may be foreshadowed by the other Captain Murphy, Captain Collin ‘Jack’ Murphy still doing the job despite his demise, there would be no reason why the two couldn’t liaise to deal with manifesting mad ghosts, surely  Harry and Mortie could work something out for posthumous witnesses and the like.

If she is killed, and we do see more of her from time to time, this is what I think will have happened to her.  It fits more with her faith, and actually if she cannot be with Harry I think she'd be happy working with her father.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2020, 09:45:07 PM »
  It was a surprise and over in seconds, not clear how hard Freydis was fighting back or at all.  She might have been merely testing, also it really wasn't the time to have a knock down drag out, her
current boss Lara needed Harry or at the very least wanted to talk to Harry at that moment.

I know everyone thinks it, but I doubt that Murphy will become a Valkyrie for a number of reasons. First one she doesn't respect authority, not a good idea to argue with Vadderung...  Yes, she has worked with him in the past, but as a mortal she was also free to walk away.. As a Valkyrie, not so much, not sure she'd like the idea of knowing in advance who was going to live and who was going to die, especially if she didn't agree with it.  Yeah, I know Gard fudged with Harry back in Dead Beat, and perhaps Michael in Small Favor.. Yes, it does go against her religion.. Nor does it mean she can remain at Harry's side.   So she may become it in the end, but it may not work out as everyone thinks it is going to be.
Harry in Ghost Story isn't the same, or even close.  He was trying to find his own killer for starters. Second of all an archangel arranged for his walk about..  Also if you will remember there was very little he could do to help those who were very much alive.

I agree with you on the Valkyrie thing.  Becoming one of the Einherjar would be worse.  They are all fated to die; for good, with Odin when Ragnarök occurs.  I don't remember if any of the Valkyries survive, just that Thor's son and a few others do.

I'm not seeing Murphy working for Uriel; with or without her dad, as some kind of ghost detective.  It just doesn't feel right to me.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2020, 10:06:18 PM »
I agree with you on the Valkyrie thing.  Becoming one of the Einherjar would be worse.  They are all fated to die; for good, with Odin when Ragnarök occurs.  I don't remember if any of the Valkyries survive, just that Thor's son and a few others do.

I'm not seeing Murphy working for Uriel; with or without her dad, as some kind of ghost detective.  It just doesn't feel right to me.

Ghost detective, no, but apparently her father does do important work for Uriel and he sort of offered that kind of job to Harry if he had gone all dead.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2020, 10:30:34 PM »
Ghost detective, no, but apparently her father does do important work for Uriel and he sort of offered that kind of job to Harry if he had gone all dead.

Yeah but as we just got done establishing in Peace Talks, Murphy doesn't care if it's a job that's honestly probably more important then anything else she could be doing, because she wants to kick ass and take names.

So yeah, can't see her going for that. She'd fit a lot better among Odin's crew, which I honestly think is what Jim's going for.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2020, 11:55:56 PM »
Freydis said that Murphy wasn't fated to die, "in this battle."  That was pretty heavy foreshadowing for Jim.  It's openly saying that Murphy is fated to die in a battle, sometime in the future.  How far in the future is anyone's guess. 

The one problem I have with Murphy being in the next battle is that she really isn't capable of doing more than planting some explosives; or more likely, having someone else plant them for her, and remote detonate them at the appropriate time.  She can shoot a gun, sure, but she can't shoot and scoot.  Once she takes a position, she's going to be pretty much stuck there.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 12:02:44 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2020, 12:35:30 AM »
In the Thomas heist, Murphy's role was wheel-person and Harry's backup. When Freydis thought to switch her role to hostage, Murphy had a plan for that -- a semi-suicidal plan, but a successful plan nonetheless.

I'd imagine in Battle Ground, we'll see her in something like a reprise of her role in Cold Days -- driving Harry around the lakefront from battle to battle, having his back as needed.

But, yeah, the death flags have been flying like confetti at a ticker-tape parade. I'd imagine she'll be killed at a suitably dramatic moment in the battle, right after gunning down some fomor mook that's about to take Harry out from behind. (Perhaps Listen? -- I can't remember, did Murphy meet Listen, maybe in Aftermath?)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2020, 03:43:15 AM »
I'd imagine in Battle Ground, we'll see her in something like a reprise of her role in Cold Days -- driving Harry around the lakefront from battle to battle, having his back as needed.

She was riding a motorcycle and was in good physical shape.  Depending on which knee is injured, and how bad he shoulder is, driving a car at breakneck speed dodging who knows what will be pretty hard if not almost impossible.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2020, 07:30:22 AM »
She hates the Munstermobile because her feet to not even reach the pedals.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2020, 10:26:39 AM »
She hates the Munstermobile because her feet to not even reach the pedals.

If it is any consolation for her, if Harry rides in her car he knees are on his ears...  When my son, who is just too inches shorter than Harry tries to ride in my car, he put the seat practically in the back seat
and he still doesn't have enough room.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2020, 10:34:05 AM »
The Munstermobile also foreshadows Murphy’s death.

Offline Oracle of IHOP

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2020, 11:16:27 AM »
  I get all of that, but what about the defenseless?   Does it come down to glory? No glory it guarding  some paranet members, something she could do well considering her physical condition.  But by all means go for glory..

How is she going for glory? Pretty sure it is not going to make the front page of the Chicago Tribune.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2020, 12:00:40 PM »
Cattle die, kinsmen die; the self must also die. I know one thing which never dies: the reputation of each dead man (77).

Deyr fé,
deyja frændr,
deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn,
at aldrei deyr:
dómr um dauðan hvern.

https://www.vikingrune.com/2014/05/old-norse-proverbs-quotes-from-edda/
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]