Author Topic: Mac Kineely  (Read 4993 times)

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Mac Kineely
« on: July 18, 2020, 05:01:05 PM »
So... it's probably nothing, but reading about Ethniu's dad, Balor, on Wikipedia, I came across a character named Mac Kineely.

The story is that Balor stole Mac's magic cow of plenty. There was a prophecy that Mac couldn't get the cow back while Balor was alive, but that Balor could only be killed by his grandson. In order to fulfill the prophecy and get his magic cow back, Mac is transported by one of the fairy folk to the tower where Balor was keeping his daughter sequestered (to prevent a grandchild and the fulfillment of the prophecy). Mac seduces the daughter and gets her pregnant. The grandson kills Balor and Mac gets his cow back.

The daughter's name: Ethniu.

Could Mac Kineely be Dresden's favorite bartender, MacAnally?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Mac Kineely
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 05:05:40 PM »
So... it's probably nothing, but reading about Ethniu's dad, Balor, on Wikipedia, I came across a character named Mac Kineely.

The story is that Balor stole Mac's magic cow of plenty. There was a prophecy that Mac couldn't get the cow back while Balor was alive, but that Balor could only be killed by his grandson. In order to fulfill the prophecy and get his magic cow back, Mac is transported by one of the fairy folk to the tower where Balor was keeping his daughter sequestered (to prevent a grandchild and the fulfillment of the prophecy). Mac seduces the daughter and gets her pregnant. The grandson kills Balor and Mac gets his cow back.

The daughter's name: Ethniu.

Could Mac Kineely be Dresden's favorite bartender, MacAnally?

I doubt it, because Titians have been around longer than Mac, but it is possible.  Maybe it will be Mac that stops her?

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 05:18:04 PM »
   I doubt it, because Titians have been around longer than Mac, but it is possible.  Maybe it will be Mac that stops her?
We don't know how long Mac has been around, though?
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline knightedbishop

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 05:27:52 PM »
Mira- where did you get that the titans are older than Mac?

I didn’t realize we knew his age...or really anything apart from he makes amazing beer he’s out, Sharkface called him watcher, and Odin and Mab show him respect.

I’ve been wondering where the Tuatha de Danann are in all of this. The Formor are linked to that mythology. So is Balor and Ethniu. I was going to pin Mac for Goibniu because of the brewing and I love the Iron Druid Chroincles. Odin stayed “in the game” but Mac bowed out and gave up his power to stay on the sidelines. Heck, maybe he was one of the gods who shaped/dumped power into the fae.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 05:32:10 PM »
Must... Resist... Derailing... With... Own... Theory...

Sounds pretty good, and possible. But also anticlimactic.  I'm not sure how this Mac Kineely would be a Watcher or relevant to the Outsiders?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 05:46:33 PM »
Mira- where did you get that the titans are older than Mac?

I didn’t realize we knew his age...or really anything apart from he makes amazing beer he’s out, Sharkface called him watcher, and Odin and Mab show him respect.

I’ve been wondering where the Tuatha de Danann are in all of this. The Formor are linked to that mythology. So is Balor and Ethniu. I was going to pin Mac for Goibniu because of the brewing and I love the Iron Druid Chroincles. Odin stayed “in the game” but Mac bowed out and gave up his power to stay on the sidelines. Heck, maybe he was one of the gods who shaped/dumped power into the fae.

Bulfinch's Mythology  says;

A race of primordial deities, children of Heaven and Earth, finally overcome by the thunderbolts of rebellious Jupiter who banished them to Tartarus.  Twelve of them according
to oldest accounts, six male and six female: Oceanus, Coeus, Crius, Hyerion, Iapetus,Cronus, Theia, Rhea, Themis, Mnemosyne, Phiebe, and Tethys

I think we are talking two different mythologies Greek/Roman verses Irish..

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 05:53:57 PM »
But I think Butcher is equating Titans with Jotun with Fomor.  A lot of mythologies have an older deity generation that giants that are wiped out.  Even Christianity has the nephilim that are sometimes called giants, but they're wiped out.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 06:02:48 PM »
But I think Butcher is equating Titans with Jotun with Fomor.  A lot of mythologies have an older deity generation that giants that are wiped out.  Even Christianity has the nephilim that are sometimes called giants, but they're wiped out.

My point is it depends on which or who's mythology one cares to sight..  Goliath was a giant. 

Offline knightedbishop

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 06:05:56 PM »
Ya. Balor and Ethniu are from Irish/Celtic mythology as far as I know. Not Greco-Roman. How she has the title “the last titan” is a mystery to me. Though my theory is this is another example of mantles and masks- perhaps she was a Greek deity/Titan originally. When that religion faded she picked up a new mask in the Irish mythos.

Given the commonalities between some religions- mainly a Sky/Thunder god as head of the pantheon, I wonder how many different identities Vadderung’s had over his life.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 06:13:59 PM »
Ya. Balor and Ethniu are from Irish/Celtic mythology as far as I know. Not Greco-Roman. How she has the title “the last titan” is a mystery to me. Though my theory is this is another example of mantles and masks- perhaps she was a Greek deity/Titan originally. When that religion faded she picked up a new mask in the Irish mythos.

Given the commonalities between some religions- mainly a Sky/Thunder god as head of the pantheon, I wonder how many different identities Vadderung’s had over his life.
That's what I'm saying.  Titan could just be a regional name for the entities called Jotun or Fomor elsewhere.  They don't have to be overlapping identities, they're just the giants that ruled over different regions of Earth around the same time.  And each Giant Pantheon was overthrown by a younger Pantheon.

So now "Titan" could be the most commonly recognized name for that "species", because they don't want to use "giant" because it doesn't carry the metaphysical presence.  And let's be honest, the general public had all but forgotten Jotun until the MCU, and nobody remembers the Fomor.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 06:15:02 PM »

Odin isn't really a sky/thunder god like Zeus.  Their main overlap is being the chief god in their pantheons.  Of the Greek gods, Odin is most closely aligned with Hermes's domain of traveling, magic, and trickery.

I think "Titan" is a good catchall term for a member of a defeated pantheon.  Those were relatively common in mythology, and the Fomor as described in the books would qualify.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 06:21:16 PM »
I think "Titan" is a good catchall term for a member of a defeated pantheon.  Those were relatively common in mythology, and the Fomor as described in the books would qualify.
Not just fallen pantheons. They were all giants.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 06:27:06 PM »
Not just fallen pantheons. They were all giants.
"Giant" doesn't have much meaning, though.  You could call Mab a giant based on her personal power alone.  Ferrovax warps reality his power is so big.

Edit:  Mab is also technically a Greek titan in cannon as Hecate.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:29:29 PM by Second Aristh »

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 06:47:45 PM »
"Giant" doesn't have much meaning, though.  You could call Mab a giant based on her personal power alone.  Ferrovax warps reality his power is so big.

Edit:  Mab is also technically a Greek titan in cannon as Hecate.
Sure, but Titan/Jotun/Fomor were all literally large in size, no proverbially giant.  And since "giant" doesn't have the meaning it once did, Titan can be used as a classification.

Hecate being a Titan makes the point that while her power is still around, she isn't, or at least not as she was.  It seems that the only Titan left as she was is Ethniu.

Or we're arguing in the wrong direction, and she was just the last Titan born.  Seems unlikely, but hey, it's possible.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 07:08:17 PM »
Re: Hecate...

The six queens of fairy are all pieces of Hecate, with the bulk of the goddess's power vested in the Mothers. Hecate intact would be vastly greater than Mab alone.

Also, I think Hecate was a goddess, not a titan, though I'm not sure how formal the distinction is.