Author Topic: Peace Talks - Continuity Notes [Spoilers]  (Read 28576 times)

Offline DarthSpot

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Peace Talks - Continuity Notes [Spoilers]
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 05:02:36 PM »
The text in Peace Talks reads: "The last time a dragon had been slain out here in the tangible, mortal world, it had been in a region called Tunguska."
I'm pretty sure he says "Dragon", not "dragon", and Jim made clear that there is a big difference between the two. The dragon Michael slew was a minor one, and maybe Tunguska was caused by the death of a capital-D-Dragon, being killed by the Blackstaff. It's at least a possibility ;-)

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2020, 05:08:54 PM »
@DarthSpot-

That was one of the reasons I went to check the text. It's little-d in the e-book text, though that could be a typo.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2020, 05:27:23 PM »
Maybe Kincaid gaver her a number for his weapon dealer. It is probably something like that.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2020, 05:31:35 PM »
Clintack - Not a bad explanation for the Dragon. If of course Jim just forgot he had already used Tunguska. In saying that, if it wasn't a mistake then I think Jim is making a point. Damned if I know what it is though.

I took it as meaning that Eb killed the Dragon in Tunguska (presumably a multi-megaton event was needed to beat a Dragon's defenses without a Sword of the Cross or something like that).

Yeah, presumably Michael must have fought Siriothrax in the Nevernever. A magical being that powerful would likely have its own NN domain. Charity was going to be sacrificed to Siriothrax by a cult - probably the cult's "place of worship" connected to Siriothrax's NN domain, and the Way was open (since a ritual was happening) when Michael showed up.

Siriothrax was definitely a capital-D real Dragon, there's a WOJ that Ferrovax wouldn't have cared (in GP) otherwise. But Harry may not know the difference, the only dragon/Dragon he's met is Ferrovax, right?

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2020, 01:47:50 AM »
Another continuity difficulty--when Harry and Lara are going to rescue Thomas, Harry accidentally burns Lara, which confirms some things with regard to him and Karrin.  However, on the way out, there's no mention of Harry being particularly careful not to burn Thomas, which I'd think would be a concern?

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2020, 01:51:37 AM »
The burning is part of the feeding.  Lara is far more likely to try to feed on Harry than Thomas is, for a few obvious reasons.

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2020, 02:03:11 AM »
Oh, I fully agree, as far as Thomas is concerned.  Considering the terrible shape he was in, it still seems a little odd to me that Thomas's Hunger wouldn't reach for any option.

Would that mean that Lara could exercise enough control to touch Harry and not get burned now that she knows Harry is protected?

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2020, 02:06:32 AM »
Another item: Harry and Carlos bump fists in greeting at the beginning, but later the implication is that Carlos tagged him on the wrist with his pinky during a handshake.  I couldn't find a reference to them actually shaking hands, but maybe I'm missing it.

Oh, I fully agree, as far as Thomas is concerned.  Considering the terrible shape he was in, it still seems a little odd to me that Thomas's Hunger wouldn't reach for any option.

Would that mean that Lara could exercise enough control to touch Harry and not get burned now that she knows Harry is protected?
That was my thought on him travelling in the car with Murphy. My only guess is that Lara might have started nursing him or kept him in check.

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2020, 02:10:42 AM »
Regarding the ink-tag, I believe Harry does shake hands with Chandler, who was operating under Carlos's command.  Carlos might have been responsible for ordering the tag without specifically doing it himself?

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2020, 02:18:56 AM »
Regarding the ink-tag, I believe Harry does shake hands with Chandler, who was operating under Carlos's command.  Carlos might have been responsible for ordering the tag without specifically doing it himself?
Except he doesn't shake hands with Chandler until after they've caught up with him using the tag.  And Carlos wags his pinky to indicate how he did it.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2020, 03:40:02 AM »
The Betas told Jim about the "continuity errors" surrounding Mortimer in GS (his house and shaved head were wrong). Jim kept the "errors" in. That makes them intentional. Other continuity errors could also be intentional.

Another continuity difficulty--when Harry and Lara are going to rescue Thomas, Harry accidentally burns Lara, which confirms some things with regard to him and Karrin.  However, on the way out, there's no mention of Harry being particularly careful not to burn Thomas, which I'd think would be a concern?
When he was in the lab, he used towels to handle Thomas being careful not to touch him directly, if I recall correctly.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2020, 04:05:52 AM »
The Betas told Jim about the "continuity errors" surrounding Mortimer in GS (his house and shaved head were wrong). Jim kept the "errors" in. That makes them intentional. Other continuity errors could also be intentional.
When he was in the lab, he used towels to handle Thomas being careful not to touch him directly, if I recall correctly.
I don't know that I would call the Mortimer things "intentional".  It might have also been just a mistake and a missed opportunity to fix.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2020, 04:13:13 PM »

Probably. Lara has a lot of control. I was kind of surprised that she got burned at all by Harry, to be honest.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2020, 05:32:35 PM »
Jim wanted to show the protection, that was more important
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2020, 05:41:09 PM »

But she didn't get burned when they were on the ground together and the Mantle had very amorous ideas.  Harry merely called it off before it went any further, not that he didn't want it to go further. I am not saying she wouldn't have been burned, but just that it didn't happen. So unless they try again later in the book and she gets burnt, it didn't happen when she and Harry have their little exercise session at her estate when they first meet.