Author Topic: NOT FAIR!!!!!!  (Read 6876 times)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: NOT FAIR!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2020, 04:15:42 AM »
I'm of the opinion that they should have just left it as one book. Sure, the (purportedly) combined 784 pages would set a Dresden page count record, but Wise Man's Fear was 994 and it wasn't too big. Several of Martin's books are that length or longer.

That being said, I get it, it's a business, and the publisher needs to make up for time and investment. It's just too much on the heels of stretching American Gods into multiple seasons when it could have been one, and splitting the Final Fantasy remake up into multiple games.

I figured it'd be more like Avengers IW and Endgame, where each one is it's own story.  But it's just the one.

I'm just glad Butcher insisted they be released in short order so that we wouldn't have to wait a year. 

Pretty much how I feel, I just hope it isn't the start of a trend.

I already dropped Sanderson because of every book being split into pieces lately, If other authors start doing it to I'll have nothing to read at all.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2020, 04:50:24 AM »
Pretty much how I feel, I just hope it isn't the start of a trend.

I already dropped Sanderson because of every book being split into pieces lately, If other authors start doing it to I'll have nothing to read at all.
I couldn't quite get into Sanderson. Serack likes him and recommended him, but I didn't like the third book in the Mistborn series and I couldn't get into the Stormlight series.

I figure this is probably a one-off occasion for Butcher, but I guess we'll see. 

Offline Fineous

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2020, 05:43:57 AM »
Wow, really? Sorry if this is heresy here, but I actually like him a bit more than Jim, though I do love Jim a lot. But Sanderson's Cosmere is just the most impressive bit of world building I have ever come across in my life. It almost blows Tolkien out of the water in terms of its depth and attention to detail.

Every one of his books is set in the same universe, the magic is different and follows different rules on each of his worlds, because God split itself into 16 different shards, each being an aspect of its 'personality' with the magic in the world being related to the shard that ended up on that world. In Mistborn there were 2 shards, Preservation and Ruin, 2 diametrically opposed shards that cause the conflict through their fighting. In the Stormlight series there were originally 2 shards, Cultivation and Honor, but Honor was shattered by the Shard that basically got all the negative emotions of God, called Odium, who has been trying to destroy the Shards for some reason.

There is a network of short stories and novellas, 11 novels (can't remember the exact amount right now. 6 I think in the Mistborn series, 3 with the 4th on the way in the Stormlight series, Elantris, and War breaker. I think that is all of them.) and a series of graphic novels. There is also some unpublished stuff in Brigham Young University library that isn't very good, according to Sanderson, because it is the first stuff he wrote, but fills in more gaps in the cosmology of the universe.

I would highly recommend giving it another shot, and/or visiting the fan site called The Coppermind where sleuths do much the same stuff as here, and try to put the pieces together.
Edit - correcting some of my comma splicing. Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 05:47:15 AM by Fineous »
Bad Ash:  See, you're GOOD Ash, and I'm BAD Ash.  You're a little goody two-shoes, little goody two-shoes, little goody. . .
*Click* *BOOM*
Good Ash: Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2020, 05:48:01 AM »
Now they say I should get it next week.  :)

I got mine today :)  Yeah, bitch long enough and hard enough at Amazon and if your cause is just they will try to make it right.  Hopefully there aren't too many butt holes that spoil it for everyone by abusing that sentiment. 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2020, 09:10:43 PM »
   Well, at least they are basically going to give me the book for free... ::) Great, but it may be sometime this week before it is shipped?   >:(  I'm Going up to Barns and Noble and find a quiet corner.. ::)
Back before I finished school, I read quite a few books that way.

I had no problems with Amazon. I had problem's with my mom (whose house me and my siblings send packages to in order to avoid porch pirates). Long story short, she ignored me and cost me reading time which translates to sleep time when it's a new book that I'm not starting on the beginning of a weekend. Sleep time is very important to me. Fortunately she wasn't home when I picked it up, and I didn't see her until I had time to cool off. Took me about nine to ten hours to finish, with breaks.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2020, 09:20:52 PM »
Wow, really? Sorry if this is heresy here, but I actually like him a bit more than Jim, though I do love Jim a lot. But Sanderson's Cosmere is just the most impressive bit of world building I have ever come across in my life. It almost blows Tolkien out of the water in terms of its depth and attention to detail.

Every one of his books is set in the same universe, the magic is different and follows different rules on each of his worlds, because God split itself into 16 different shards, each being an aspect of its 'personality' with the magic in the world being related to the shard that ended up on that world. In Mistborn there were 2 shards, Preservation and Ruin, 2 diametrically opposed shards that cause the conflict through their fighting. In the Stormlight series there were originally 2 shards, Cultivation and Honor, but Honor was shattered by the Shard that basically got all the negative emotions of God, called Odium, who has been trying to destroy the Shards for some reason.

There is a network of short stories and novellas, 11 novels (can't remember the exact amount right now. 6 I think in the Mistborn series, 3 with the 4th on the way in the Stormlight series, Elantris, and War breaker. I think that is all of them.) and a series of graphic novels. There is also some unpublished stuff in Brigham Young University library that isn't very good, according to Sanderson, because it is the first stuff he wrote, but fills in more gaps in the cosmology of the universe.

I would highly recommend giving it another shot, and/or visiting the fan site called The Coppermind where sleuths do much the same stuff as here, and try to put the pieces together.
Edit - correcting some of my comma splicing. Sorry.
I'm not sure why, but his stuff just didn't resonate with me.  I'll probably give it another try at some point, but I'm not sure if it'll change.  I'm not a huge fan of too many narrators/viewpoints, so I've struggled with others like Martin as well.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2020, 09:24:44 PM »
Back before I finished school, I read quite a few books that way.

That was one of the ways I researched my husband's prostate cancer..  Back in the day, comfortable chairs and low tables, they didn't care if you had a stack of books in front of you and read for hours..

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2020, 03:47:43 AM »
More than once I read most of a book of my brother's or sister's over a break or long weekend, and finish it at the Barnes & Noble a few blocks from my apartment.

I remember one time I was approached because they were closing soon, so they asked me to leave. I said I've only got x pages left. The employee said something like oh, you can finish that before we close.

Honestly, it was a really good way to prevent me from consuming a book in one or two sittings. I only had a few hours a day to read.