Author Topic: A Hypothetical Diplomatic Incident  (Read 4333 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: A Hypothetical Diplomatic Incident
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 08:48:19 AM »
For a human wizard breaking the law is a choice. A free willed choice that can change your nature. A warlock’s nature urges you to break the laws even more but it stands to reason that as long as you keep your free will you can change your nature by making other choices however difficult it might be. 
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2020, 12:11:23 AM »
Arjan: Slowing time is kins of like swimming against the current, so I don't know.  It's probably a grey area.  I think there is something to be said for free will and one's ability to change.  Atleast it matter to Uriel.   

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2020, 06:37:09 AM »
Fix probably has diplomatic immunity - for the killer - but it may be an act of war if he attacks the Warden - and vice versa. I would not be surprised if Fix toasts him, and then when Harry (or Carlos, or Bill Meyers) comes in, he says "OK, take me in, it's a Summer Court and White Council matter, as in the Accords. " Plus, as noted, he has no innate magic - he is using the mantle given to him.  The Mantle is the weapon, much like the White Council has not said anything about Harry SHOOTING Corpsetaker to death - but not via magic.  He used a weapon.

I'ma little surprised Harry can BE the Winter Knight. That's an agent of Winter. Not an employee. I can WORK for, say, a Canadian company, but I can't be an envoy of their government... I don't think I could get diplomatic immunity for them.

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2020, 05:06:07 PM »
The mantle being the weapon is a good point.  I think the council is pissed that Harry is the Winter Knight. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 05:21:21 PM »
Arjan: Slowing time is kins of like swimming against the current, so I don't know.  It's probably a grey area.  I think there is something to be said for free will and one's ability to change.  Atleast it matter to Uriel.
But that happens all the time if you go to the nevernever and back. Start executing half the council.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2020, 06:10:32 PM »
I think that is just the nature of the never never.  I don't think the wizard is effecting time.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2020, 07:49:30 PM »
Re intent: Jim has said intent matters less than results.

Spiritofair, I don't think most of the laws of magic prohibit inherently evil acts. I'd agree that many or most of the acts violating the laws would likely be evil acts. E.g. murder vs. killing in defense of life.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2020, 09:21:18 PM »
I'ma little surprised Harry can BE the Winter Knight. That's an agent of Winter. Not an employee. I can WORK for, say, a Canadian company, but I can't be an envoy of their government... I don't think I could get diplomatic immunity for them.

Both the White Council and the Winter Court are much older than the modern concept of nations, which is basically 17th century European in origin. And dual citizenship is a thing many places even in the modern world.

Harry is Winter Knight, and he's also a member and Warden of the White Council. These are essentially separate legal identities with separate duties and powers.

In a more feudal-type system where government is largely based on reciprocal oaths and obligations between individuals (or between hereditary positions), this makes perfect sense. Harry has certain obligations to the White Council, and he has certain obligations to Mab. Unless those directly conflict (eg. Winter and the White Council go to war and Harry is now obligated to fight for both sides) there is no problem.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2020, 03:43:45 AM »
Both the White Council and the Winter Court are much older than the modern concept of nations, which is basically 17th century European in origin.
The concept of the nation-state began to emerge with the Treaty of Westphalia. At one, before that, point England's ambassador to Spain was Spain's ambassador to England, if I'm remembering the countries right.