Author Topic: Christmas Eve and Peace Talks theory (spoilers)  (Read 15698 times)

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Eve and Peace Talks theory (spoilers)
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2020, 07:54:41 PM »
Didn't I read somewhere that the placard was an energy reservoir?  Was that in the book or a speculative post?

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2020, 08:19:24 PM »
Not the oldest available but they only had to ask one other to decline so no fundamental breach.Ignoring the seven laws there is no constitution. Only a bunch of flexible traditions.In a real democracy the people or their elected representatives can propose laws an vote for them on their own initiative. They are the ultimate power not a bunch of gerontocrats.

Everyone gets a vote is not enough to make a democracy. It is also about what is done with that vote.
The Athenian democracy was limited by the Council of Five Hundred and the popular courts. It was still a democracy.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2020, 08:49:41 PM »
The Athenian democracy was limited by the Council of Five Hundred and the popular courts. It was still a democracy.
The difference is that the senior council has no obligation to submit their decision to the general assembly, the council of 500 had.

Basically the senior council only asks the general assembly when they can not get to an agreement. They hold all the power without checks and balances.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2020, 10:18:53 PM »

Reread Christmas Eve yet again, it sounds like Harry has his little talk with everyone after the battle.
What ever he said, apparently they didn't listen and things got worse.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2020, 10:39:27 PM »

Reread Christmas Eve yet again, it sounds like Harry has his little talk with everyone after the battle.
What ever he said, apparently they didn't listen and things got worse.
Of course they did not listen. And they rationalized afterwards. "I told you so" won't help in future situations either.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2020, 12:06:32 AM »
Of course they did not listen. And they rationalized afterwards. "I told you so" won't help in future situations either.

Maybe not, but there is always some satisfaction in being able to say it... ::)  However I think
in Harry's case it led to even more bloodshed.. Or rather that is the feeling I get, and when he talks about the holes left in his heart because of those he's lost when he is weeping, the cost for him personally was very high indeed.  I wonder how many close to him he did lose?  The changes from that alone may be more significant than Changes.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2020, 12:33:11 AM »
The difference is that the senior council has no obligation to submit their decision to the general assembly, the council of 500 had.

Basically the senior council only asks the general assembly when they can not get to an agreement.
That's the opposite of how it works. The Senior Council can take up matters if three of them vote to. The Athenian assembly and council were both subject to the public courts.

They hold all the power without checks and balances.
I never said it's a liberal democracy. As best I can tell, checks and balances is an outgrowth of separation of powers that first developed in 1787.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2020, 04:48:51 AM »
That's the opposite of how it works. The Senior Council can take up matters if three of them vote to. The Athenian assembly and council were both subject to the public courts.
I never said it's a liberal democracy. As best I can tell, checks and balances is an outgrowth of separation of powers that first developed in 1787.
Read Polybius about the Roman republic. He thought that that state had the ideal balance between democracy and aristocracy. Something for the senate and something for the plebs. I think he would have classified the council as some form of aristocracy, the power of the senior council is just too big and the demos has little influence. But maybe a meritocracy?

What is important for being a democracy is where the real power is. Is it with the people via their representatives or is it with a small nobility that is selected not because the people have spoken but because of their wealth, status and family. The old boys network.

In the council the real power is with the senior council. Both theoretically but more important practically.

So if for example the ability to buy and steal elections and politicians becomes too great and elections are more and more a formality you would live not in a democracy but a plutocracy or if one person steals all elections an autocracy.

The 500 were chosen not by ballot but randomly from the different tribes. Some of the ancients thought that even better than election but if done correctly it might introduce some idiots but we have them now as well.

It also makes it less of an aristocracy. The 500 are still seen as the representatives of the people. It was seen as a form of election.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2020, 12:43:02 PM »
As Malcolm told Harry, paraphrasing, "everyone dies alone."  We may have family around us, but we walk through that final door solo. 

So, if Christmas Eve does indeed take place after Peace Talks/Battleground and Murphy isn't present, which considering the events that seem to be happening in the chapter five drop, she should be...

So here is what is possibly the reasons why she wasn't;

1]  Murphy re-injured herself big time and is in the hospital.
 2]  Murphy made a Faustian bargain to get into the fight, and alienated herself in the process from Harry.
  3]  Harry made a Faustian bargain to cure Murphy and alienated himself from her.
4]  Somehow whoever it is that was trying to frame Harry and Murphy succeeded.  While Harry got
off because of his various connections, Murphy couldn't or may have even take the fall for Harry and is serving 15 years to life in prison for murder.
   5]  Murphy finds out that she will be crippled for life and wants to go through it solo, her way.
    6]  While it is possible she became Summer Knight, I don't see that fact keeping her away at
Christmas.  Don't think Sarissa would demand that of her,  Titania might, but it would have to be really important.
    7]  Murphy was killed.

7a]... and is away on Valkyrie duties.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2020, 02:41:56 PM »
7a]... and is away on Valkyrie duties.

I don't buy her becoming that.. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2020, 03:14:54 PM »
I don't buy her becoming that..
I don’t buy it either but Jim keeps selling it.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2020, 03:46:43 PM »
Yes, but where are they going to get a winged Shetland Pony for her?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2020, 04:52:14 PM »
Yes, but where are they going to get a winged Shetland Pony for her?

Ponies Are Us.... ::)