Author Topic: Christmas Eve and Peace Talks theory (spoilers)  (Read 15694 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Eve and Peace Talks theory (spoilers)
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2020, 08:23:56 PM »
Christmas Eve shows Harry still considers himself to be a Wizard of the White Council, so we can presume there is still a White Council and Harry is part of it, he is deprecating the fact that Mouse has to help him. This is how to defeat Harry in a Duel, choose assembly of a children’s bicycle under Skill.

This does not mean other characters are on the White Council  i.e. They died. I think both the Merlin and Luccio  (and Christos) are for the chop, replaced by Eb and Harry in time for Battlefield when they are needed.

There is one other Wizard level talent running around, under the radar,  Mortimer Lindquist according to Uriel who should know. Granted he pretty much set his powers aside at one point, and his powers are strongest in Ectomancy, but off the fly in Dead Beat, he does a rather nifty spell allowing for necromancy cold spots to be identified. He isn’t a strong one trick pony like Binder, he has a broader talent.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2020, 08:12:48 PM »
I never considered that things that happen to Harry later happen to Murphy.

Technically, he's already fulfilled that. The curse even echoed when he was shot.
I think Jim gave a "yes and no" answer when someone asked if that was the case.

Peace Talks
(click to show/hide)

The only way to throw them out is either saying he is not a wizard, they tried that and it would be rather absurd to try it now, or saying he is not human anymore. No reason for that either.
Depends on how much of a democracy/republic balance the Council has. A pure democracy is simple majority rules. A republic has restraints on the majority. (It's more complicated than that, but those complications don't matter for this point). We know it's not a pure democracy because the Senior Council can overrule the Council. Other than that, we don't know much about it's rules.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2020, 08:16:57 PM »
The council is a gerontocracy.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2020, 08:32:29 PM »
Yeah, I kind of got tired of hearing about doddering old fools, so to speak.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2020, 02:58:03 AM »
The council is a gerontocracy.
Not really. Harry's vote counts just as much as Luccio's. That's a democracy. The selection process for the Senior Council is gerontocratic, but according to Turn Coat, that's just a tradition. As we see it play out in SK, the eldest member willing to serve runs for the seat unopposed.

The White Council is a mostly direct democracy where each member has a vote equal to every other member. The democracy is limited by the authority of the Senior Council to decide any matter before the whole Council itself with a vote of, I believe three Senior Council members. The Senior Council handles routine matters and has more power in times of war. The Council has a republican form of government because of these limitations.

If we consider that the Council has authority over all humans, it would be a gerontocratic-oligarchic-republic.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2020, 04:46:26 AM »
Not really. Harry's vote counts just as much as Luccio's. That's a democracy. The selection process for the Senior Council is gerontocratic, but according to Turn Coat, that's just a tradition. As we see it play out in SK, the eldest member willing to serve runs for the seat unopposed.

The White Council is a mostly direct democracy where each member has a vote equal to every other member. The democracy is limited by the authority of the Senior Council to decide any matter before the whole Council itself with a vote of, I believe three Senior Council members. The Senior Council handles routine matters and has more power in times of war. The Council has a republican form of government because of these limitations.

If we consider that the Council has authority over all humans, it would be a gerontocratic-oligarchic-republic.
The senior council can delegate some decisions but that is her choice, she can not be forced to do so in any official way. The rules that bound her are mostly not real rules but traditions. A new place is filled by seniority as we have seen in summer knight. So a gerontocracy.

There are some other institutions that could be used to build something new upon but those institutions are weak.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2020, 05:08:55 AM »
I don't think Murph can take the Summer Knight mantle;  one of the prerequisites was a bond with someone close in the court of the faeries.  Murph doesn't have one.
I don't know about Murphy having a bond with anyone in the Summer Court, but her credentials are impeccable.  She did kill the last Winter Lady, after all.  She rode with the Wild Hunt, arguably led or helped lead it, and gained the respect of the Erlking. And if Titania had the opportunity to take Harry's True Love away from him by making Murphy his sworn enemy, I think she'd make it happen in a heartbeat, and smile while doing it.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2020, 05:14:47 AM »
I don't know about Murphy having a bond with anyone in the Summer Court, but her credentials are impeccable.  She did kill the last Winter Lady, after all.  She rode with the Wild Hunt, arguably led or helped lead it, and gained the respect of the Erlking. And if Titania had the opportunity to take Harry's True Love away from him by making Murphy his sworn enemy, I think she'd make it happen in a heartbeat, and smile while doing it.

It wasn't Murphy, Mab used her.   She is hurt, everything points to her dying in battle, heroically for Harry.  She doesn't want to be the brains behind anything, she made that clear, she wants to be physically in the battle, and she will die doing it.   

Offline paranetonline

• The Merlin
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2020, 05:20:34 AM »
I hope this is ok to say.

I think we're being messed with here.  Someone who may know something may be stirring the pot.  CaptMurphy maybe someone's sock.  He or she only made the profile 12 minutes before they posted.  Sarek's comment about the thread taking days to approve doesn't mesh with that.  Perhaps he knows captMurphy in RL in that case it makes sense.  Again this is just my opinion, and isn't meant to be negative towards captMurphy or Serek.

That being said, its always fun to discuss this stuff, so regardless of who the original poster is let's keep going.

I hope she survives and just has to learn to live with her new situation, and that it is used as an opportunity for her character to grow.  I think something will happen to heal her in end trilogy.
I can't say, and don't know, if the account is a sock, or mask, or mantle, or some combination therein.  But I can assure you that delays in approving posts are real.  I've been very inactive of late due to personal circumstances, so approving newbie posts has largely fallen to Blaze and others of late. 

I just logged in to reply to this and found two posts awaiting approval that I didn't even realize were out there. We made it so brand new members can't create new threads to cut down on spammers, but legit new folks typically are lurkers that have thought of something they haven't seen others mention and they sign up to start a thread for it.  Then it's up to me or a few mods that are still around to vet the post and approve it.  But doing so doesn't timestamp it at the time of approval, it's left down the board at the original post time, and can easily slip past folks' notice. So bumping it back up gives it a fair shot at being seen.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2020, 05:24:48 AM »
Jim tweeting about Murphy’s funeral is a clear indication that it won’t happen. He would not give a spoiler like that away if it was true in the most obvious sense.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2020, 05:25:32 AM »
  It wasn't Murphy, Mab used her.   She is hurt, everything points to her dying in battle, heroically for Harry.  She doesn't want to be the brains behind anything, she made that clear, she wants to be physically in the battle, and she will die doing it.
Mab freed her.  Murphy chose to act, and shot and killed Maeve.  As for being hurt, I do believe the last Knight to be Knighted was severely hurt prior to being Knighted, and did it to gain the power and ability to fight for those they loved and cared for.

Do you want to take the odds against Murphy accepting the mantle in the moment of need to help protect Harry or her city?

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2020, 05:32:56 AM »
Jim tweeting about Murphy’s funeral is a clear indication that it won’t happen. He would not give a spoiler like that away if it was true in the most obvious sense.
Not necessarily. With IA breathing down her neck, they could totally fake her death to get them off her back, same as they'd do for her becoming a Valkyrie or Einherjaren.  But it'd probably be pointless on the aftermath of what we're likely to see in Battle Ground.

But it makes me wonder, did he say it was Murphy's funeral, or Karrin's funeral?  One isn't necessarily the other.

That being said, the scene he was writing about was probably...
(click to show/hide)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2020, 05:39:49 AM »
Mab freed her.  Murphy chose to act, and shot and killed Maeve.  As for being hurt, I do believe the last Knight to be Knighted was severely hurt prior to being Knighted, and did it to gain the power and ability to fight for those they loved and cared for.

Do you want to take the odds against Murphy accepting the mantle in the moment of need to help protect Harry or her city?

Fix is still very much alive...  So while he could get killed in the battle it sounds like he will be very much a part of it.. So till he dies no one is going to jerk the mantle from him to hand it to Murphy, plus I doubt she would want any part of a mantle, she's seen Harry stuggle with it.  Mab still used her, without Mab it wouldn't have happened, Mab was giving herself plausible deniability.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2020, 05:52:43 AM »
Fix is still very much alive...  So while he could get killed in the battle it sounds like he will be very much a part of it.. So till he dies no one is going to jerk the mantle from him to hand it to Murphy, plus I doubt she would want any part of a mantle, she's seen Harry stuggle with it.  Mab still used her, without Mab it wouldn't have happened, Mab was giving herself plausible deniability.
My guess is Fix would die, Murphy would be wounded even more and out of the fight and feeling helpless, things would appear to be going very badly, and Sarissa would offer her the chance to help.  Or maybe Titania would actually show up to do it, to spite Harry. 

I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, but hey, it could, and it would really ruin things for Harry, so Butcher just might do it.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2020, 06:35:17 AM »
Not necessarily. With IA breathing down her neck, they could totally fake her death to get them off her back, same as they'd do for her becoming a Valkyrie or Einherjaren.  But it'd probably be pointless on the aftermath of what we're likely to see in Battle Ground.

But it makes me wonder, did he say it was Murphy's funeral, or Karrin's funeral?  One isn't necessarily the other.

That being said, the scene he was writing about was probably...
(click to show/hide)
With the obvious sense I mean Murphy dead and a burial in the epilogue.

There is not time enough for a burial in the middle of battle ground.
SH[Elaine+++]