Author Topic: Peace Talks trailer next Tuesday - Priscilla wants your reaction  (Read 9437 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Peace Talks trailer next Tuesday - Priscilla wants your reaction
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 09:50:59 PM »
Hrm, the fact that it might be smaller could lend credence to the idea that it was split into two books, Peace Talks and Battlegrounds...

If it was split into two books we'd have heard about it before now..  Possible, but don't spend any coin before it is confirmed by a trusted source,  Jim or Priscilla...

Offline CrusherJen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 09:27:40 AM »
@morriswalters: It's not unusual for a hardcover release to have a paperback ARC. I saw that more than once when I was lucky enough to work in a bookstore.  ;)
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."   --from Blood Rites

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 12:22:24 PM »
I just wanted to say something about the trailer: I think, the guy playing Harry is a really good match. I said to myself, yes, that's how he looked in my head.
Just wanted to say that. :)

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2020, 05:41:47 PM »
It's pretty close to how he looked in my head too.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2020, 06:44:22 PM »
I think the best casting for Harry would be 1979 Tom Selleck. Every time I catch an episode of Magnum, P.I. I can't help but notice how similar the series is to how a Dresden Files series should be done and how similar the characters of Magnum and Harry are. The show was largely done from Magnum's pov and narrated by him almost in the style of a memoir. He constantly references "when I write my best selling memoir of being a private detective" and then goes into what happened or what he's thinking, often breaking the fourth wall. He's got a haunted past that keeps coming up. He's constantly broke. He lives underground. There's a lot of snark. And Selleck had the range and he's tall enough.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2020, 07:54:15 PM »
Oooh, I like this. If only Harry would use his diamonds to rent a Ferrari... (let's be honest, he won't buy one)  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 08:04:05 PM »
Oooh, I like this. If only Harry would use his diamonds to rent a Ferrari... (let's be honest, he won't buy one)  :)
No, he would buy some cheap nostalgic old car.
The diamonds he would use to build a new lab somewhere in Murphy's basement or a hut in her garden behind the house. He wouldn't buy a house. Just move in with Murphy.
The rest he would safe for Maggie.
OK, maybe buy some old revolver. But no hat. LOL

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2020, 03:42:52 AM »
Harry could buy half a dozen classic VW beetles; pre-1970 models, so he could always have a working car on hand, even if Mike was repairing one or two others that had been knocked out, and keep two or three at Mike's as part cars.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2020, 10:30:16 AM »
Harry could buy half a dozen classic VW beetles; pre-1970 models, so he could always have a working car on hand, even if Mike was repairing one or two others that had been knocked out, and keep two or three at Mike's as part cars.
LOL

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2020, 08:55:26 PM »

The problem is the VW Beetle is very small and under powered. Harry and Mouse are big. I would say an old Checker Marathon. Large, rugged, reliable and a very simple car. This would be a good solution but Harry seems to like to do things the hard way. A car that is too small and unheated showers for example.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2020, 10:30:25 PM »
OMG
Have you watched the April Fool's trailer?  LOL

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2020, 12:13:17 AM »
Here's a link for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LicFGbHAFk
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2020, 06:39:48 AM »
I loved it  :D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2020, 07:43:52 AM »
The problem is the VW Beetle is very small and under powered. Harry and Mouse are big. I would say an old Checker Marathon. Large, rugged, reliable and a very simple car..
The VW is a much simpler car.  Air-cooled motor is a HUGE simplification, for example.  Motor over rear axle = simpler transmission.  etc etc etc.

Simple "reliability" isn't all of it.

We can make reliable stuff that's still complex... and it's that complexity that Harry hex'es!

(Also, I have a WAG that the Murphyonic Field is much stronger in the general direction the wizard is looking... so the motor &c behind Harry could make a big difference, too.)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2020, 11:12:38 AM »
I loved it  :D

Yeah, but I was looking for a lamp shade.. ::)  Especially when Eb was asking Harry if he was dumb enough to pull off what ever it was, it would have been great if he had a lamp shade on his head..
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 12:17:46 PM by Mira »