Author Topic: new mirror mirror idea  (Read 5714 times)

Offline prince lotore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
new mirror mirror idea
« on: February 10, 2020, 09:28:58 PM »
So with the new short story we have a new spin for a mirror mirror.  What if Morgan got to harry 11 hours earlier and raised him as his apprentice.  Harry now becomes that unstoppable warden that haunted his nightmares.  But he never becomes the guy at the center of the problems. The faeries are at war, the red court is at the height of its power and the circle rules supreme.  And that harry, desperate to hang on to the old ways that he was raised to respect and uphold, (after the Sr council was killed by a new god cowl) breaks and goes full Vader. All in the name of doing good and saving the innocent
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a
ride!

Online g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: new mirror mirror idea
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 01:16:47 AM »
So with the new short story we have a new spin for a mirror mirror.  What if Morgan got to harry 11 hours earlier and raised him as his apprentice...

Except that doesn't match what Jim Butcher has said about Mirror Mirror.  Of course, Jim does lie sometimes, so I guess anything's on the table, really!   ;D

But Jim stated that the premise of MM will be:
[It’s] going to be… How will the world be different if Harry had made one choice differently... Dresden as he would have been if he made one choice differently, and the fallout from that effect on his life ... the big decision at the end of Grave Peril

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 12:00:11 PM »
Except that doesn't match what Jim Butcher has said about Mirror Mirror.  Of course, Jim does lie sometimes, so I guess anything's on the table, really!   ;D

But Jim stated that the premise of MM will be:

So he lets the Holy Sword be shattered?  Leaves Susan to her fate?  Lets Bianca live..  Which has the most impact?  Not sure that a Holy Sword broken in a human sacrifice can be remade..  All kinds of implications there.  If Susan was killed or became a full vamp, no little Maggie.. The Red Court would still be around.  If Bianca lived not only would the Red Court still be around the war wouldn't have been set off prematurely, and that could have real serious implications, because they are a cat's paw for a much bigger player... On the other hand the Former would be held in check.. However that might not be such a good thing..

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 04:37:27 PM »
I'm fairly certain that the choice happens after the Vampire Ball. That's pretty much in the middle of the story.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 06:21:43 PM »
I'm fairly certain that the choice happens after the Vampire Ball. That's pretty much in the middle of the story.

All of the above except for letting the Holy Sword be shattered happens after the ball.  Harry's decision to go and save Susan, Bianca's death which supposedly triggers the duel which in turn triggers the war with the Reds, which is premature, Susan and Harry have unprotected sex, little Maggie is conceived, the Red King kidnaps her to sacrifice to trigger the generational spell to kill off
Harry and Eb, Harry reverses spell which kills off the Red Court, which in turn triggers the the rise of the Fomor...  There are a number of things in there that if changed could change everything.

Offline spiritofair

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 07:25:24 PM »
In re-listening to Grave Peril, I latched onto Lydia's prophecy that she told Harry near the beginning of the book. The prophecy fits with the story of the book, but also seems to set up the entire series. It's pretty cool...

"Fire," she whispered. "Wind. I see dark things and a dark war. I see my death coming for me, out of the spirit world. And I see you at the middle of it all. You're the beginning, the end of it. You're the one who can make the path go different ways."

The last one, about Harry being the beginning and end of it and he can make the path go different ways... hell, it feels like it could refer to Mirror Mirror where Jim has said that the premise is that Mirror Harry made a different choice in Grave Peril...

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 07:26:33 PM »
“I love her,” I said. I didn’t say it very loud.
“What?” Bianca stared at me. “What did you say?”
“I said, I love her.”
“She is already half mine.”
“So? I still love her.”
“She isn’t even fully human any longer, Dresden. It won’t be long before she is as a sister to me.”
“Maybe. Maybe not,” I said. “Get your hands off my girlfriend.”
Bianca’s eyes widened. “You are mad,” she said. “You would flirt with chaos, destruction—with war. For the sake of this one wounded soul?”
I smote my staff on the floor, reaching deep for power. Deeper than I’ve ever reached before. Outside, in the gathering morning, the air crackled with thunder.
Bianca, even Ortega, looked abruptly uncertain, looking up and around, before focusing on me again.
“For the sake of one soul. For one loved one. For one life.” I called power into my blasting rod, and its tip glowed incandescent white. “The way I see it, there’s nothing else worth fighting a war for.”

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 07:47:17 PM »
  All of the above except for letting the Holy Sword be shattered happens after the ball.
It was going to happen during the ball, right before the fighting started. See chs. 29 & 30.

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 08:41:13 PM »
In re-listening to Grave Peril, I latched onto Lydia's prophecy that she told Harry near the beginning of the book. The prophecy fits with the story of the book, but also seems to set up the entire series. It's pretty cool...

"Fire," she whispered. "Wind. I see dark things and a dark war. I see my death coming for me, out of the spirit world. And I see you at the middle of it all. You're the beginning, the end of it. You're the one who can make the path go different ways."

The last one, about Harry being the beginning and end of it and he can make the path go different ways... hell, it feels like it could refer to Mirror Mirror where Jim has said that the premise is that Mirror Harry made a different choice in Grave Peril...

This pretty much has to be about he series rather than that book. She has prophecy that people are doomed to not believe, but is always right.  It is impossible to avoid.  The prophecy says, "my death coming for me," but she lived through the book, so the prophecy cannot be about the events of the book.  She has to die at a later date where Harry will (continue to) be the fulcrum of how things turn out.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 09:00:35 PM »
I'm not saying you're wrong, but just because her death was coming for her doesn't mean it would get her.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 09:50:13 PM »

I am assuming that his choice had far reaching implications, that is why to me something really
bad is going to happen with the Fomor in Peace Talks that makes Harry wish he hadn't triggered the events that led to the death of the Red Court and the rise of the Fomor..  However my guess is he is going to learn that further down the line it would have been a lot worse if the Red Court survived and the Fomor stayed in the background..  Cannot imagine at this point what that would be, but perhaps they are really good at fighting Outsiders and are immune to Nemesis?

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 12:41:00 AM »
  I am assuming that his choice had far reaching implications, that is why to me something really
bad is going to happen with the Fomor in Peace Talks that makes Harry wish he hadn't triggered the events that led to the death of the Red Court and the rise of the Fomor..  However my guess is he is going to learn that further down the line it would have been a lot worse if the Red Court survived and the Fomor stayed in the background..  Cannot imagine at this point what that would be, but perhaps they are really good at fighting Outsiders and are immune to Nemesis?

Oh, I had never thought about that.  What if they were a team and red court was planning assault and white council/mortal world at the same time the Fomor would have attacked their old enemy the Fey to take over the near part of g tv he never never.  Would have prevented the fey/council cooperation that helped defeat the red court

Online g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 02:20:14 AM »
I am assuming that his choice had far reaching implications...

I think the "far reaching implications" is implicit in the premise of Mirror Mirror!

But I'm expecting a real "butterfly effect," like the butterfly-wing that launches a hurricane.  The "choice" will seem small -- will seem to have been small, at the point of divergence; with effects that snowball further and further and further -- but in retrospect the consequence will be huge.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 02:21:22 AM »
@Mira: Kind of like It's a Wonderful Life.

Online g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 04:32:29 AM »
@Mira: Kind of like It's a Wonderful Life.

With less warm&fuzzy Jimmy Stewart.

But yeah, I have been looking at some likely parallels to IaWL, in addition to the ST TOS episode Mirror Mirror.