Author Topic: Five Archangels - Five Elements  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Five Archangels - Five Elements
« on: January 29, 2020, 12:45:53 AM »
Something occurred to me when reading some content.

There are five archangels, and five elements.

Lucifer - Spirit

Michael - Earth

Raphael - Water

Gabriel - Air

Uriel - Fire

Bound by a circle of Will, which if I was a betting man would say was TWG.

Now there is some wiggle room. Uriel's name means "Fire of God" so he almost certainly is Fire. However he also could be Spirit, as he is the Watchman.

Gabriel means "God is my strength" but I chose Air for him as he is the messenger and Trumpeter, of which one needs Air. Air is also the element associated with intellect, and I can see that match up.

Raphael was a tricky one. His name means "God Heals" so Water makes most sense as it is the element of healing, however he is also the Demon Binder and bound demons deep within the Earth, so he could be Earth.

Michael was the hardest. His name means "Who is like God" and in the Dresden Files is named "Prince of the Host". To me he likely is Earth, because he watches over Eden and is the merciful one, but could also be Spirit as he is like God (Holy Spirit).

Lucifer means "Light bringer" and so should be Spirit, as the oldest and first Archangel. He could however also be Air as "Light" also meant knowledge, and he could also be Earth as he is often referred to as the Prince of the Earth or Lord of the Earth. Finally he could also be Fire, as Fire and Light were not so different elements.

I think it is significant there are five fundamental forces in reality. There are also five fundamental elements in magic - the power of Creation. Five Archangels seems significant to that as well.

What do you all think?

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Five Archangels - Five Elements
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 05:04:06 AM »
I like it. It's a good Dresden based theological breakdown. My one caveat is that if Lucifer is Spirit and wizards rely on spirit for their magic, it gives credence to the idea that they're all devil worshippers. Which while might explain in world persecution of magical users, as well as Michaels initial reluctance towards Harry himself. Would seem to go against the beliefs of the Wizards themselves. Harry and Rashid particularly. Harry believes Magic is pure aspect of creation of life, to be used to protect those in need of it. Rashid is Muslim, and probably has similar beliefs regarding the Outer Gates or the Ways of the Nevernever. Admittedly I have a vage notion that some teachings of Islam include, that Lucifer and God aren't necessarily archenemies, I don't know enough of it too (respectively) make a case.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 05:32:30 AM »
I wouldn't think that they are the elements so much as embodiments of the elements.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 07:05:44 PM »
If indeed the classic 5 must be the list (rather than 5 good Archangels), then I would sort it as (in descending order of convinced-ness):

Spirit - Michael, as the sort-of-chief
Fire - Lucifer, his passion ran so hot he even got into an argument with TWG. And fire is the light-bringing element.
Air - Uriel, the Archangel who is always watching, but never noticed. And he was likened to a jetplane.
Water - Raphael, as you already said.
Earth - Gabriel, from the name mostly. And in Kabbalah he is associated with Yesod, which (quoting wiki) is 'the foundation upon which God has built the world.'

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 09:27:49 AM »
Well I am only going off the five that Jim gives us. If there were more I think he would have mentioned it.

Michael might be the chief now, but originally Lucifer was the highest of all. Assuming we are going with traditional dogma here. So Lucifer is more likely Spirit from that angle... although Spirit might not necessarily be the strongest element in a direct sense.

Also we know Lucifer likes to use Hellfire as we saw in SmF so another reason fire is likely... although I am sure they can use any and all elements should they choose.

The others are fair enough but just as likely as mine.

Gabriel as Earth is fascinating, great find!

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 09:53:38 PM »
It could be that after the Fall, Jesus took Lucifer's place as Spirit.  (maybe some time fiddling or that Jesus was already an archangel when he became mortal.)