Author Topic: Page length  (Read 1899 times)

Offline ff88

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Page length
« on: January 23, 2020, 05:35:35 PM »
Do we have an official page length for peace talks? Amazon said 400 which has to be BS given the number of chapters. I also heard 640 or 696 but nothing sounding true and official

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Page length
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 03:33:25 PM »
Do we have an official page length for peace talks? Amazon said 400 which has to be BS given the number of chapters. I also heard 640 or 696 but nothing sounding true and official

I wouldn't go by number of chapters, it is more about the length of the chapters..  One can have a four hundred page book consisting of forty ten page chapters..  Or one can have a four hundred page book of four one hundred page chapters.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 05:52:02 AM »
Or a wordcount.
I think I remember hearing (reading) that the wordcount was already longer than any other DF novel, and still going...

Offline magical_liopleurodon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 05:01:24 PM »
Or a wordcount.
I think I remember hearing (reading) that the wordcount was already longer than any other DF novel, and still going...
This ☝️

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 02:11:46 AM »
I and others have discussed the possibility that this would be a long book because of the large number of characters, complications and potential conflicts that might play a role or arise during this novel.  We already known about what Thomas told Harry in chapter one.  If you don't know, I'll just say it means Lara will most likely be involved, plus I imagine she will play a part in the talks between the Fomor, White Council and anyone else who shows up.  Marcone will almost certainly be the host of the talks, plus he has had some conflict with the Fomor.  We know from the end of Skin Game that the relationship between the crime lord and Harry is quit frosty, so there's potential conflict in that area.  We know the White Council; or at least a couple of important members from it, will play a role in the novel.  We can only speculate about how that might play out, but it's almost certain to cause trouble for Harry.  From the photo from the book's trailer that Priscellie posted on Jim's website, it looks like someone from Summer is there and that means Winter will be there too.  So as a guess that means Molly, Sarissa and their retinues will make an appearance; and isn't it about time for Michael and Charity Carpenter to find out about Molly's new gig?  There is also the possibility Ivy will be on hand to mediate the talks and that would mean Kincaid will be there too.  Now add in new characters from other supernatural nations, the Fomor themselves and one or two wildcards; like Cowl or Mavra, lurking in the background and perhaps eventually making an appearance, and you've got quit a stew about to come to a boil and start splattering the stove.

I'm sure some of these potential conflicts will be more for show and won't get resolved until a later novel.  For example, perhaps no matter how tense the situation between Marcone and Harry might seem to be getting, in the end it might be something that gets put on a back burner until another time.  That's not a prediction, just one way Jim may work through some of these complications.  Even so, there should be a lot of crazy and fun situations for Harry to deal with, and a lot of reading for us to savor.  There's no way this was going to be short novel.       
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 03:10:48 AM »
I'm not saying Harry and Marcone will follow this logic, but Harry and Marcone fighting one another never made much sense to me. There are going to be bigger threats than Marcone at least until Marcone dies of old age if only because he will die of old age and likely before Harry enters his "prime." As long as Harry doesn't get himself killed, Marcone will take care of himself. And Marcone has explicitly stated that he feels he doesn't need to kill Harry because Harry's going to get himself killed soon enough anyway.