Author Topic: What questions should Harry be asking?  (Read 17135 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: What questions should Harry be asking?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2020, 05:09:24 AM »
The "in the know" members of the White Council aren't sure which way Harry is going to go (I think that's why Eb is so reluctant to tell him anything about being Starborn until his life's on the line), Mab is apparently wary of Harry (there is a WOJ that things were bad in Faerie last time something like this happened and "Mab is keeping her enemies closer"), etc.

Apparently there are many who know exactly what Harry is.  Rivershoulders called him star born, and alluded to the fact that the nature of what that means Harry apparently has to find out for himself when the time is right.  Eb said the same thing essentially in their battle with the cornerhounds.  Mab wouldn't regard Harry as an enemy, remember her main job is to keep the Gates safe from Outsiders.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2020, 07:04:55 PM »
Hell! A whole arsenal of weapons would be more accurate. People living in peaceful parts of the world don't understand that people who live in conflict really start appreciating simple things in life. LIKE SURVIVING!!! And they also tend to err on the side of caution and arm up. Really, really, REALLY arm themselves to the teeth.
I live in a peaceful low crime neighborhood. I have a semiautomatic rifle and handgun for each member of my household suited for self defense and I don't know how much ammo and ammo components. And then there's all the other stuff because I wanted it.

Also, there's a WoJ that the items Harry had (pre-Changes when he had a full set) were all he had the time to maintain. He can't just keep adding more stuff and keep all his old stuff working.
There's also stuff from the books that if he had more money and/or experience, he'd need less time to maintain it. Oh look, he has more of both.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 07:08:49 PM by Bad Alias »

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2020, 07:16:07 PM »
I live in a peaceful low crime neighborhood. I have a semiautomatic rifle and handgun for each member of my household suited for self defense and I don't know how much ammo and ammo components. And then there's all the other stuff because I wanted it.

Well, as you said, you wanted it. Other people can be different. (I understand that USA is particular about weapons, and Harry is from USA)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2020, 07:53:22 PM »
My point is just that it doesn't take the situation Harry is in to end up with an arsenal. If I was in a situation like Harry, I'd invest a lot more than I do or he does in weapons. In my case, I don't think I'll ever need to use any of it for anything other than recreation, but it's like having insurance that's fun and resellable.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2020, 08:46:07 PM »
My point is just that it doesn't take the situation Harry is in to end up with an arsenal. If I was in a situation like Harry, I'd invest a lot more than I do or he does in weapons. In my case, I don't think I'll ever need to use any of it for anything other than recreation, but it's like having insurance that's fun and resellable.

Hope they are well locked up, it can end badly..

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2020, 01:11:42 AM »

Well, Harry is not you. He may react differently.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2020, 01:38:38 AM »
I've managed to reach 68 and never felt the need to own one. And I lived in poorer neighborhoods.  However to each their own.  Oddly enough I moved to what would be considered a nicer neighbor and someone got murdered right behind my condo. With a knife. Toodles.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2020, 02:30:27 AM »
I've managed to reach 68 and never felt the need to own one. And I lived in poorer neighborhoods.  However to each their own.  Oddly enough I moved to what would be considered a nicer neighbor and someone got murdered right behind my condo. With a knife. Toodles.

Then there are the accidents with them and the suicides.  They are useful, and they can be fun if one goes in for that, but one should never lose sight that these things are deadly. 

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2020, 07:49:08 PM »
Returning to the original question:

To Mab, regarding the Winter Mantle: May I please read the manual?
To Uriel, regarding Soulfire: May I please read the manual?
To Hades, regarding the "weapons": May I please read the manual?

Just saying.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2020, 08:08:12 PM »
Returning to the original question:

To Mab, regarding the Winter Mantle: May I please read the manual?
To Uriel, regarding Soulfire: May I please read the manual?
To Hades, regarding the "weapons": May I please read the manual?

Just saying.

Collective answer, "There isn't a manual, you can read the instructions on-line!"
 Harry, "Crap!  I'm a wizard.  I cannot get on-line..."
Collective answer; "That isn't our problem, deal with it!"

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2020, 08:09:23 PM »
Apparently there are many who know exactly what Harry is.  Rivershoulders called him star born, and alluded to the fact that the nature of what that means Harry apparently has to find out for himself when the time is right.  Eb said the same thing essentially in their battle with the cornerhounds.  Mab wouldn't regard Harry as an enemy, remember her main job is to keep the Gates safe from Outsiders.

No, Mab definitely sees Harry as an enemy. He welds power that she cannot. He is immune to outsider influence, so if he should wish to, he could summon outsiders. It is one of the reasons why she wanted him as the WK. She can now kill him with her own hands when she has decided that he has served his purpose.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2020, 08:18:29 PM »
No, Mab definitely sees Harry as an enemy. He welds power that she cannot. He is immune to outsider influence, so if he should wish to, he could summon outsiders. It is one of the reasons why she wanted him as the WK. She can now kill him with her own hands when she has decided that he has served his purpose.

I doubt that she sees him as an enemy, she needs him.  I think Mab is misunderstood because she is cold, doesn't compromise,  and usually shows no mercy.  However she has a tough job to do and she has been successful at it for a thousand years.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2020, 08:24:49 PM »
  I doubt that she sees him as an enemy, she needs him.  I think Mab is misunderstood because she is cold, doesn't compromise,  and usually shows no mercy.  However she has a tough job to do and she has been successful at it for a thousand years.

Unless Jim changed his tune, I swear he said that Mab sees him as an enemy. An enemy she can use as a weapon, but an enemy nonetheless.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2020, 08:29:45 PM »
Unless Jim changed his tune, I swear he said that Mab sees him as an enemy. An enemy she can use as a weapon, but an enemy nonetheless.

No, I don't think so, I think Mab was in on Harry's conception as a star born.  There is a reason why Lea is his godmother, I don't believe that would happen unless Mab consented to it.  Do you have the WOJ on that? 

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2020, 08:40:07 PM »
No, it was in one of the book signing videos on YouTube from years ago. Don't remember which one. Also, being that it was from years ago, he could have changed his tune on the relationship between Mab and Harry.