Author Topic: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers  (Read 164378 times)

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
  • Careful, or you'll end up in my novel
    • View Profile
Re: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers
« Reply #375 on: November 21, 2009, 02:29:20 PM »
Will do . About the blocks! Sorry, got complacent.

and to mr s, right, sure, anything you say.
uh huh.

M.

You don't know that.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 21, 2009, 03:59:43 PM »
Here's the real final paragraph:

(click to show/hide)

;D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #377 on: November 21, 2009, 04:52:56 PM »

(click to show/hide)

;D

Shecky, what the hell?  Spoilers much!

:D

Offline John 1:17

• Conversationalist
  • For the Za-Lord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 21, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »
lol that would actually be a great ending :P

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 21, 2009, 07:20:51 PM »

(click to show/hide)

;D
(click to show/hide)

Mikey

• Conversationalist
  • For the Za-Lord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 21, 2009, 10:52:43 PM »
why would they speak english? Anglish as it was called back then was a barbarian tounge. No self respecting Roman would speak it.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 22, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
why would they speak english? Anglish as it was called back then was a barbarian tounge. No self respecting Roman would speak it.

Because everybody everywhere everywhen speaks English. The United Federation of Planets speaks English, and if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for everyone. :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

• Conversationalist
  • For the Za-Lord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 22, 2009, 08:00:21 PM »
Psh, thats only cause of some type of universal translator device. But as I have yet to see a Babel Fish in the series, (my personal favorite such device), I still hold that they do not speak English, Or latin. Personally I think they speak Aleran, a mongrel mix of Latin, French, German, Greek, and English. Because remember, these boys aren't from Rome per se.... they are just a Legion who got picked up and deposited in the back end of no where.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 23, 2009, 01:05:33 AM »
Psh, thats only cause of some type of universal translator device. But as I have yet to see a Babel Fish in the series, (my personal favorite such device), I still hold that they do not speak English, Or latin. Personally I think they speak Aleran, a mongrel mix of Latin, French, German, Greek, and English. Because remember, these boys aren't from Rome per se.... they are just a Legion who got picked up and deposited in the back end of no where.

Latin was the lingua franca of the legions anyway, for precisely that very reason - it was the one that all the soldiers actually DID have in common.

• Conversationalist
  • For the Za-Lord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 23, 2009, 01:27:17 AM »
they would still have their native tongues though, and those would bleed over into their current language. like how english has been tainted with other languages.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 23, 2009, 01:29:26 AM »
Well, sure; even Latin as given by the HRC church evolved over the centuries. Didn't say it wouldn't change, but remember that true outside influences in Alera were at zero and that such evolution would be entirely internal... i.e., within the Latin itself.

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 23, 2009, 02:48:27 AM »
Well, sure; even Latin as given by the HRC church evolved over the centuries. Didn't say it wouldn't change, but remember that true outside influences in Alera were at zero and that such evolution would be entirely internal... i.e., within the Latin itself.

It would still have to evolve. Weren't there merc's with the legion? Doing a search.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 23, 2009, 02:55:29 AM »
Yes, but again, without truly external influences (i.e., a lot of contact with entire NATIONS that speak a different language, not a few people inside a Legion who will be speaking Latin by default as explained), the evolution will be internal and therefore slower and less pronounced. And finally, please remember that I said "Latin", not "entirely unchanged over two millennia Latin".

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 23, 2009, 03:04:34 AM »
Yes, but again, without truly external influences (i.e., a lot of contact with entire NATIONS that speak a different language, not a few people inside a Legion who will be speaking Latin by default as explained), the evolution will be internal and therefore slower and less pronounced. And finally, please remember that I said "Latin", not "entirely unchanged over two millennia Latin".

Wait, what about Cannim and the Marat? Aren't they external, or are they too different to make a difference?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 23, 2009, 03:08:41 AM »
Wait, what about Cannim and the Marat? Aren't they external, or are they too different to make a difference?

There's been zero effort to have extended (read: external to war) contact with them. They're too not THERE to make a difference. :D