Author Topic: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers  (Read 164378 times)

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
Re: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers
« Reply #345 on: November 19, 2009, 03:51:59 PM »
As for why the vord chose to attack Aricholt in the first place, simple.  It's the most isolated.  The Queen is nothing if not opportunistic.  Perhaps she considered it a test run.  Then, with her forces swollen with a new army of Taken, she picked a more central location as her base of power, from which she could be poised to attack any other steadholt with ease.
That's logical, and makes a lot of sense.

So here comes my however. (i was gonna write "my but" first, but rejected it as... aehm ok, where was i...)
They way it is now, it's not the most isolated. In fact of all the stedholts it's closest to Garrison... not an ideal target for a silent infiltration.

Ok now... Self! Stop nitpicking!
Self: No, i don't want to !!
Yes!! No Yes No Yes

In case i can't control myself in the future, let me repeat it once more.
The Map is great.
I'm a nitpicking-casual-perfectionist... sometimes... and the map has me hooked in that regard.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 03:57:41 PM by Tsunami »

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
  • Careful, or you'll end up in my novel
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 19, 2009, 04:09:15 PM »
Snort! Casual Perfectionist?!!!!  :o  *Cleans coffee off the laptop keyboard*
Right. I guess us perfectionists have to have percentages attached to our names now. I'm at 95%, you're at 70%.  ;D
Koko is somewhere closer to 95 than 70. Of course, we haven't heard from him yet.

The only other steadholt that fits that theory would be Warnerholt, since it's across the road, it's closer to Garados, and would not be easily viewed by Garrison, except for overflights.

But it is a great map!

That's logical, and makes a lot of sense.

So here comes my however. (i was gonna write "my but" first, but rejected it as... aehm ok, where was i...)
They way it is now, it's not the most isolated. In fact of all the stedholts it's closest to Garrison... not an ideal target for a silent infiltration.

Ok now... Self! Stop nitpicking!
Self: No, i don't want to !!
Yes!! No Yes No Yes

In case i can't control myself in the future, let me repeat it once more.
The Map is great.
I'm a Casual-Perfectionist... sometimes... and the map has me hooked in that regard.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #347 on: November 19, 2009, 04:13:49 PM »
By "isolated" I meant "most separated from the rest of the steadholts."  They managed to take the steadholt silently, without the men at Garrison being any wiser.  Therefore, any future attacks on remaining steadholts would be at places even further removed from Garrison's reach.  Strategic!

Offline MadhaL

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 19, 2009, 05:03:12 PM »
i especially liked the Marat and Canim figures.  Hope iceman wont see this map. They are excluded :D

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #349 on: November 19, 2009, 05:09:03 PM »
i especially liked the Marat and Canim figures.  Hope iceman wont see this map. They are excluded :D

Thanks!  Not sure why Jim didn't want me to draw one of the Icemen.  Poor dears. :D

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 19, 2009, 05:17:56 PM »
Thanks!  Not sure why Jim didn't want me to draw one of the Icemen.  Poor dears. :D

I'm convinced they're up there, we just can't see them in all the snow.

Either that, or they're chillin with those bunnies...
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 19, 2009, 05:30:15 PM »
I'm convinced they're up there, we just can't see them in all the snow.

Either that, or they're chillin with those bunnies...

Oh geez, the bunnies have made it to the map thread! I thought we had avoided the bunnies attention.
All that water crafting is making the ice people (gotta be politically correct) invisible. Or it's the tears in my eyes.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 19, 2009, 05:43:18 PM »
Oh geez, the bunnies have made it to the map thread! I thought we had avoided the bunnies attention.
All that water crafting is making the ice people (gotta be politically correct) invisible. Or it's the tears in my eyes.

Well, Jim DID say that FLF was going to be all about bunnies. Not his fault if we can't see them. :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 19, 2009, 06:52:35 PM »
Well, Jim DID say that FLF was going to be all about bunnies. Not his fault if we can't see them. :D

Wight! Takes out a bunny wabbit gun! Where are dem wabbits?

Offline Scriptacle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 19, 2009, 07:13:22 PM »
Wight! Takes out a bunny wabbit gun! Where are dem wabbits?
Don't even bother - they multiply too fast. As soon as I whacked the head off one fluffy intruder with my slipper, two of his friend were already at my feet trying to nibble my toes off.

Offline John 1:17

• Conversationalist
  • For the Za-Lord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 19, 2009, 10:16:10 PM »
Love the map, it's pretty fraking amazing, a few things though... Whats the sickly yellow smudge in the feverthorn jungle? and on that note, the placement of the feverthorn jungle makes it look like it would be in Aquitaine's domain... but we know its in Rhodes...

Last nit picky thing.... the placement of Phrygia bugs me... I always pictured it a bit closer to Antillus than that. If for no other reason that to make it easier to respond to major attacks in the middle of the Wall...

But over all, amazing work. Thank you everyone who helped make it possible

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #356 on: November 19, 2009, 10:30:21 PM »
Love the map, it's pretty fraking amazing, a few things though... Whats the sickly yellow smudge in the feverthorn jungle? and on that note, the placement of the feverthorn jungle makes it look like it would be in Aquitaine's domain... but we know its in Rhodes...

Last nit picky thing.... the placement of Phrygia bugs me... I always pictured it a bit closer to Antillus than that. If for no other reason that to make it easier to respond to major attacks in the middle of the Wall...

But over all, amazing work. Thank you everyone who helped make it possible

1.  The sickly yellow smudge is nothing.  It's just part of the weathered paper texture I used in the desktop.  It's not in the printed version of the book. :D

2.  The Feverthorn Jungle is is between Rhodes and Aquitaine.  Sharp-eyed readers will spot a reference to this in book 6.

3.  The major cities of Phrygia and Rhodes are towards the ends of the walls, though there are outposts all along the wall.  They don't leave the middle of the wall undefended!  There's no causeway between Antillus and Phrygia, so it's difficult to move troops along the wall itself.  It's mostly heavy lifters like Lord Antillus who do the traveling in response to increased need. 

Offline John 1:17

• Conversationalist
  • For the Za-Lord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 19, 2009, 10:56:56 PM »
in response to the last point... could the Wall also be crafted like the Elinarch or the Causeways? It makes sense when you think about it... lol And i understood that the jungle was between the two, it just seems like it should have been slightly closer to Rhodes that Aquitaine.

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 19, 2009, 11:13:53 PM »
It would make sense that the Wall itself would be the linking causeway between Antillus and Phrygia, and those battlements are individual forts used to monitor each part of the Icemen's territory carefully. It also makes sense that Phrygia would be a coastal City or at least near some major body of water. Only Alera Imperia and Placida are landlocked
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #359 on: November 20, 2009, 12:23:17 AM »
in response to the last point... could the Wall also be crafted like the Elinarch or the Causeways? It makes sense when you think about it... lol And i understood that the jungle was between the two, it just seems like it should have been slightly closer to Rhodes that Aquitaine.

It's more a matter of terrain than pure proximity.  Much of Aquitaine is heavily mountained.  The area surrounding the Feverthorn Jungle is more typical of Rhodes, which is comparatively flatter.  It's notable for its orchards and fruit production, and so also for its wines.