Author Topic: Christmas Eve from JB's Twitter (no news, just fun)  (Read 58556 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Eve from JB's Twitter (no news, just fun)
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2018, 03:27:04 AM »
I know nothing about War rules but the impression I got is not that Harry has to pay anything. Only that the idea of the victims' families having to pay for their recovery or funerals was another thing adding stress and guilt to Harry. Molly helped him at least by easing that pain.
It was probably something Molly wanted to do but could not given the restrictions of her job but she found a way around it. Quite smart actually.

You work around the restrictions of your mantle by framing your actions in a different story. It is what Harry did when helping butters in skin game.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 03:31:06 AM by Arjan »
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2018, 03:33:07 AM »
Yes, I understand that, but it is not the idea I've got from reading the story.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2018, 03:47:27 AM »
Yes, I understand that, but it is not the idea I've got from reading the story.
It is from Harry’s point of view and Molly can never admit such a thing but gifts often reflect the giver in some way. But it is Christmas so she can say she did so to please Harry.

But I see that part of the story as a confirmation that the old Molly is still there underneath. Mab would not do such a thing. It asks for some creative thinking on her part so I think she wanted it, inner Molly.

Also by making it a present she denies the idea that the payments are a result of any obligation or are compensating anything. They are not part of a contract or deal of any kind so they can not be weregeld.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2018, 04:23:38 AM »
Actually I got the impression that Harry got in some faces and demanded it.  He did it to Lara after the battle of the Raith Deeps.  I read the Accord as a whole paying the debt incurred from their actions.
And you risked an awful lot getting in everyone’s face after the battle. It helped a whole lot of people.”
Molly was just letting Harry know that the debt was paid. YMMV.  I like my version right or wrong.  Out of respect for those who object to weregild I'll call  the payments a liability insurance payout.

@Dina
I wondered if it was the same person.  Amusing tidbit.  If serack is correct it means Sarissa showed Mab the film after she became the Summer Lady.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2018, 05:09:10 AM »
Oh Harry demanded something for the victims or maybe just got a lot of captives released but if any action of Harry resulted in an obligation for winter to pay something it would have been payed already and Harry would not have needed any reassurance for that. It would not have been framed as a gift either because that would have been a lie.

Molly made clear it was a Christmas gift. She had no obligation to do so and she waited for Christmas because she needed it to give something without strings attached.

So most likely I think human Molly felt the moral obligation to help but she had to sell that to winter lady Molly. Christmas is the ideal opportunity for this. We get all kind of conformations that human Molly is still there so the story fits.

Mab’s Christmas gift can be an interesting item in a Maggie story. It might protect her in some way. And maybe she can freeze someone for short periods, that would be fun.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2018, 05:34:32 AM »
@Dina
I wondered if it was the same person.  Amusing tidbit.  If serack is correct it means Sarissa showed Mab the film after she became the Summer Lady.

Serack is usually correct  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2018, 06:07:35 AM »
I just read it again. Harry told Michael about the Christmas morning coffee and Michael got a message. Upstairs has a direct line to Kringle. Michael got a message not to spoil things and he left.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2018, 02:05:06 PM »
What I took away from this story is that Murphy dies during Peace Talks.  Of course, she could just be asleep in another room or at her house, but I think she dies.

Probably others, too.  Eb is likely.  Possibly Elaine.  I'd hate to see Ramirez die, but its possible.  Don't think Thomas will die... I think he'll be around to the end.

Maybe Sanya dies?

I don't think Butters will die.  He just got the sword.

Who knows...

Yes,  Harry weeping says he is grieving and it is more than PTSD from a lot of people getting slaughtered.   Another reason to wonder where in the hell Murphy is at if she isn't dead or in a coma somewhere, she'd at least make an appearance.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2018, 02:08:02 PM »
Yes,  Harry weeping says he is grieving and it is more than PTSD from a lot of people getting slaughtered.   Another reason to wonder where in the hell Murphy is at if she isn't dead or in a coma somewhere, she'd at least make an appearance.
One can not expect Jim to give away a spoiler of that magnitude. We will read about Harry and Karen in the next book.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2018, 02:13:08 PM »
Ok, I will spoil the story, so don't read this if you haven't read it.

Murphy is alive. Why I know that? Because in the story there is no mention of Mister. And a Christmas story with a kid, a dog and Santa Claus would have welcome a cat. But Mister is not there. So where is he? I see two options. He is dead or he is with Murphy at her home. I refuse to consider option 1, so Murphy is alive, taking care of Mister.

Possible, but Mister could also be curled up at the apartment with a nice dead mouse or something. Cats as a rule do not hang out Christmas Eve or Morning to find out what is in their sock..  Fact of
the matter is he could also have died in the mess of Peace Talks..  Note Mab giving Mouse a deep
bow, [for her] and acknowledged him as "Guardian,"  I bet he is plays an important role in Peace Talks.. Yeah, Lea did also in Changes, but for Mab to do it is special I think.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2018, 02:22:48 PM »
One can not expect Jim to give away a spoiler of that magnitude. We will read about Harry and Karen in the next book.
Of course not, but he did give a HUGE hint for anyone willing to read it...  It isn't just PTSD or his usual guilt when a lot of people die and he puts the blame all on himself.   This is real grieving and he is trying to keep it together because he is a father now..  No way around it, Harry lost family, there is a short list of those who qualify.   Michael would be one, but thankfully he survived.. I've listed three of the others closest to him, and Murphy is on that list...  That is a fact plain and simple...   Thomas would be huge, just as he was about to become a father... Eb would be huge, but not unexpected, but still bring pain..  Butters would hurt but he isn't family.. Elaine would hurt but
Harry hasn't been close with her for a number of years now... That leaves Murphy...  And we do have that Tweet that Jim wrote months back.. Hopefully he was pulling our legs, but then again he may not have been.  Not saying it is certain, no it isn't spelled out, but prepare yourselves...

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2018, 03:39:13 PM »
Possible, but Mister could also be curled up at the apartment with a nice dead mouse or something. Cats as a rule do not hang out Christmas Eve or Morning to find out what is in their sock..  Fact of
the matter is he could also have died in the mess of Peace Talks..  Note Mab giving Mouse a deep
bow, [for her] and acknowledged him as "Guardian,"  I bet he is plays an important role in Peace Talks.. Yeah, Lea did also in Changes, but for Mab to do it is special I think.
Mab also honoured Mac that way in cold days. It is a hint that they are more important than Harry realises.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2018, 03:48:40 PM »
@Arjan
So if I understand this correctly you are saying that Molly paid all those medical expenses and funerals because she felt sorry for Harry.  Okay.

I'm saying as the self appointed protector of Chicago, Harry told someone that they were murdering bastards who needed to do the right thing.  I doubt that who he told that to was Mab, since he was still existing on Christmas Eve.  Molly to Harry.
She presented it with a flourish and a little bow. “It’s a little symbolic, but I think you’ll like it.”
Then
“Everyone who got hurt. It’s all paid for.”
It's a little vague bit I don't see a first person possessive in there anywhere.  I can viz Mab in black looking over Molly's shoulders while Molly explains why some Accord members should cough up some liability payouts for starting a very public fight during the Peace talks.  However this plays to my bias.  And your position is as likely as mine.
I just read it again. Harry told Michael about the Christmas morning coffee and Michael got a message. Upstairs has a direct line to Kringle. Michael got a message not to spoil things and he left.
Yep, I think so.
For just a second, I smelled my dad’s old aftershave. For just a second, I heard him laughing, laughing so hard that tears had to have been rolling from his eyes. For just a second, I felt a hand, his hand, on my shoulder.
None of it in past tense. Then
I left the last sip in the bottom of the cup, kept my eyes closed, and said, “I love you, dad.”
Damn near makes me cry.

Since guessing who lives or dies is playing to JB's dork side, I'm gonna pass.  If Murphy dies I will take solace from Tennyson's poem "In Memoriam A.H.H.". 
” ‘Tis better to have loved and lost,  Than never to have loved at all”
Which I hadn't realized was about a friend of Tennyson's. Quite relevant to this discussion, here's a link with background. Be sure to read the last paragraph.

JB appears to be doing some cute things with Christmas mythology. Molly,Mab and Kringle could be seen as the three wise persons bearing gifts for a child, or more properly,  two different children.  Mab is also a trope, someone who wants to do the right thing but doesn't really know how.  Much as Scrooge is in a Christmas Carol. 

Happy rest of the holidays to you all.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2018, 04:04:14 PM »
@Arjan
So if I understand this correctly you are saying that Molly paid all those medical expenses and funerals because she felt sorry for Harry.  Okay.
Not exactly. She knows Harry so she knows what Harry likes most. She knows about Harry’s guilt trips and wanted to help him with it and deep beneath the mantle the original Molly is still there and she feels that she must help. The money is not a really significant amount for her (or it is) but it is very important for the victims. It is something Harry or Michael would have done in her position and these are her examples. So if working around the mantle is necessary Christmas is it.
I'm saying as the self appointed protector of Chicago, Harry told someone that they were murdering bastards who needed to do the right thing.  I doubt that who he told that to was Mab, since he was still existing on Christmas Eve.  Molly to Harry.ThenIt's a little vague bit I don't see a first person possessive in there anywhere.  I can viz Mab in black looking over Molly's shoulders while Molly explains why some Accord members should cough up some liability payouts for starting a very public fight during the Peace talks.  However this plays to my bias.  And your position is as likely as mine.Yep, I think so.None of it in past tense. ThenDamn near makes me cry.

Since guessing who lives or dies is playing to JB's dork side, I'm gonna pass.  If Murphy dies I will take solace from Tennyson's poem "In Memoriam A.H.H.".  Which I hadn't realized was about a friend of Tennyson's. Quite relevant to this discussion, here's a link with background. Be sure to read the last paragraph.

JB appears to be doing some cute things with Christmas mythology. Molly,Mab and Kringle could be seen as the three wise persons bearing gifts for a child, or more properly,  two different children.  Mab is also a trope, someone who wants to do the right thing but doesn't really know how.  Much as Scrooge is in a Christmas Carol. 

Happy rest of the holidays to you all.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2018, 08:22:32 PM »
Yes,  Harry weeping says he is grieving and it is more than PTSD from a lot of people getting slaughtered.   Another reason to wonder where in the hell Murphy is at if she isn't dead or in a coma somewhere,
Midnight Mass, like a Catholic often does on Christmas Eve?