Author Topic: Little things I noticed in the Dresden Files  (Read 13807 times)

Offline Carl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Little things I noticed in the Dresden Files
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2018, 04:26:00 PM »
Demonreach understands that better than us, he had to dumb it down for Bob. He understood it was still just a potential future. It was attacked. If Mab said it could have acted differently I tend to believe her. But it knew Maeve belonged to Mab so it decided to wait for her.

Could act differently and would act differently are two entirely different things. Per mother summer in the same book Mab could pull the troops off the outer gates and use them to try to exterminate Summer, doesn't mean she would do so however.

Also for something to be a potential future it actually has to be possibble for it to happen. Lilly and Maeve had to have an actual shot at winning that fight or there is no potential future where it happens to echo back.
Possibly Ivy and Molly's biggest fan, i'm too chivalrous and kind for my own damm good. A bit like a certain Wizard we all know :).

Molly should get this shirt.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 04:36:48 PM »
Could act differently and would act differently are two entirely different things. Per mother summer in the same book Mab could pull the troops off the outer gates and use them to try to exterminate Summer, doesn't mean she would do so however.

Also for something to be a potential future it actually has to be possibble for it to happen. Lilly and Maeve had to have an actual shot at winning that fight or there is no potential future where it happens to echo back.
No, Lilly and Demonreach never had a chance of winning unless the outsiders broke through, they were just keeping demonreach busy.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2018, 06:45:14 PM »
Well I have a question.  In the midst of the hub bub in the circle did anyone take note that Mab, Maeve and the Red Cap all handled steel?

Wizard Sibelis

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2018, 08:07:17 PM »
Well I have a question.  In the midst of the hub bub in the circle did anyone take note that Mab, Maeve and the Red Cap all handled steel?
composite weapons, no metal on the casing..

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2018, 08:31:44 PM »
Harry's usually pretty aware of those kinds of things, so generally speaking I figure if he doesn't mention anything out of the ordinary, it's not an issue. If it was important, it would be noticed, especially considering in the same book the sight of Mab using an iron needle is enough to snap him out of Sharkface's illusion.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2018, 09:50:42 PM »
composite weapons, no metal on the casing..
OK.  But it stretches my credulity.  And I can't find a polymer barrel.  It would be interesting to see where Maeve concealed it.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2018, 03:28:10 PM »
Don't forget the sidhe driver who shot Susan.  They can use weapons with metal parts, as long as it's not touching them.  See also Toot and his box cutter weapons.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2018, 07:38:11 PM »
See also Harry put the barrel of the gun on Mab's forehead.(page 508 of the Kindle edition) ;D  Having said that it isn't really important. Just amusing.  I've read Cold Days several times and this is the first time it stood out.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 05:03:01 AM »
See also Harry put the barrel of the gun on Mab's forehead.(page 508 of the Kindle edition) ;D  Having said that it isn't really important. Just amusing.  I've read Cold Days several times and this is the first time it stood out.

Did it touch her skin?  I thought he just pointed it at her head.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 11:22:09 AM »
It reads "against".  However that's just me using a magnifying lens on things not made to be looked at so closely.  It works as a narrative.  It took 5 plus readings and posting on a this board to allow me to catch it.  I am so ready for Peace Talks. :)

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2018, 08:34:54 PM »
Mab is just too tough to show how much it hurt.  :)  I am sure Mab will make Harry pay for it at some point now however.  It might not have happened to him before you mentioned it on the board but now I am guessing Jim will make him pay for it.   ;D

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2018, 01:27:45 AM »
Jim seems to love pain. Why would we deny him his obvious need.

On another note, I was thinking about Butter's light sabre.  It appears to me to be the most overpowered weapon in the DF.  In one fell swoop he takes out a character the Micheal himself couldn't beat cleanly.  Exactly what kind of weapon is he going to fight?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2018, 02:54:50 AM »
Jim seems to love pain. Why would we deny him his obvious need.

On another note, I was thinking about Butter's light sabre.  It appears to me to be the most overpowered weapon in the DF.  In one fell swoop he takes out a character the Micheal himself couldn't beat cleanly.  Exactly what kind of weapon is he going to fight?
Correction -- in one surprise attack he causes a character that Michael did beat to retreat.

Butters did not defeat Nicodemus in a fight. He destroyed Nicodemus's sword and made him run away.

A weapon is nothing without the ability to wield it.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2018, 03:28:39 PM »
Correction -- in one surprise attack he causes a character that Michael did beat to retreat.

Butters did not defeat Nicodemus in a fight. He destroyed Nicodemus's sword and made him run away.

A weapon is nothing without the ability to wield it.
He appears to do about what Micheal did, so I'm gonna put that one in the defeat column. 

Tell me what his sparring partners do when Butters first strike against their weapon, destroys said weapon.  It will be interesting to see how JB paints himself out of that particular corner.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2018, 04:09:44 PM »
He appears to do about what Micheal did, so I'm gonna put that one in the defeat column. 

Tell me what his sparring partners do when Butters first strike against their weapon, destroys said weapon.  It will be interesting to see how JB paints himself out of that particular corner.
Butters will face plenty of things that don't rely on weapons to do harm.

He can't, for example, deflect bullets with his sword any better than Michael could.

As his own short story shows, if he loses his glasses he's in trouble.

It's not an RPG. Just being able to do 9999 damage doesn't mean he's going to instantly win every fight.