Author Topic: Little things I noticed in the Dresden Files  (Read 13797 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Little things I noticed in the Dresden Files
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 06:20:32 AM »
It was never clear to me weather Lily created it or if she just activated it, either way they clearly activated it to protect themselves while they worked, which means they intended to be done before it went down.
I got the idea that it was one of the islands protections. I do not think the Ladies actually used it.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 04:09:11 PM »
Quote from: Cold Days
I knew it was a part of the structure of the massive spell that made the well exist.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2018, 04:31:20 PM »
Yeah, if it was something Maeve set up, she probably wouldn't have put in the loophole that things of the island could get through.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Carl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2018, 05:06:57 PM »
I got the idea that it was one of the islands protections. I do not think the Ladies actually used it.

Someone, (Fix i think), specifically says Lilly walked the circle to activate it.
Possibly Ivy and Molly's biggest fan, i'm too chivalrous and kind for my own damm good. A bit like a certain Wizard we all know :).

Molly should get this shirt.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 09:42:44 AM »
Someone, (Fix i think), specifically says Lilly walked the circle to activate it.
Yep.
“So arrogant,” Lily said. “You reek of arrogance and deception, like all wizards. Even the famous Merlin, who built this abomination.” Her eyes narrowed. “But as complex as it is, it is still made of mortal magic. This circle that we used to stop your interference—it’s a part of the architecture here. All we had to do was feed power into it to close this place against your allies while we tore it down from inside.”
“When we landed, Maeve sent some hounds and some Little Folk after you and went straight for that lighthouse—and the guardian just popped up out of the ground, where it is now. Maeve assaulted the spirit, just like right now. She kept it busy while Lily walked a circle of the hilltop, singing. I’ve seen her set up circles like that a thousand times. But once she’d gone all the way around, kaboom, up came the wall.”
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 04:08:00 PM »
Lilly did not know and Maeve was infected. It could have been a suicidal mission anyway.

I don't think infection rendered Maeve a complete slave who would have willingly sacrificed herself for the Outsiders, though. She wanted to usurp her mother. It might have deluded her, but she was still in the game for what she thought were selfish reasons.

Maybe she would have been willing to get blown up in the morning and spend a few decades putting herself back together as the price of knocking Mab off her throne in the long run, but I don't think she was prepared to perma-die for the cause.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 07:52:04 PM »
I don't think infection rendered Maeve a complete slave who would have willingly sacrificed herself for the Outsiders, though. She wanted to usurp her mother. It might have deluded her, but she was still in the game for what she thought were selfish reasons.

Maybe she would have been willing to get blown up in the morning and spend a few decades putting herself back together as the price of knocking Mab off her throne in the long run, but I don't think she was prepared to perma-die for the cause.
Nemesis was rewiring her nature. A suicidal mission is way easier if you can lie to yourself.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 10:52:05 PM »
"This is perfect," she said.  "In one night I'm going to unleash the Sleepers, slay a Starborn, put an end to this troublesome mortal city, and begin a war between Summer and Winter.  By the time the real assault on the Gates begins, Winter and Summer will be hunting one another in the night, and be so busy gouging out one another's eyes that they'll never see what is coming--all thanks to me.
The above quote from Cold Days shows Maeve knows some of the scope.  She knows Chicago will perish.  She believes the Sleepers will be freed and they will not be killed by the fail safe.  And by inference she will back stab Lily. Implied by Winter and Summer going to war and the fact that Maeve is armed.  It really didn't matter if Mab or Harry had gotten into the circle, Lily was toast.  What Lily believes is irrelevant.

After Mab is summoned she thanks Demonreach.
"I thank you for your patience and your assistance in this matter.  You could have reacted differently by chose not to."
The obvious question is why didn't he?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 03:51:54 AM »
Mab and demonreach have much in common. He is there to keep the monsters locked in and she is there to keep the monsters locked out. They both understand duty and they did some bonding watching over Harry’s corpse. And Demonreach understands deals. It is much better to have Mab in your debt than to piss her off.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Carl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 04:59:45 AM »

She specifically says she setup someone nearby to receive the mantle, she even took Lilly out to kill Mabs obvious backup option. I think she was just out to spite her mother any way she could, and tearing the courts apart and undermining their purposes did that the only way she could.

The above quote from Cold Days shows Maeve knows some of the scope.  She knows Chicago will perish.  She believes the Sleepers will be freed and they will not be killed by the fail safe.  And by inference she will back stab Lily. Implied by Winter and Summer going to war and the fact that Maeve is armed.  It really didn't matter if Mab or Harry had gotten into the circle, Lily was toast.  What Lily believes is irrelevant.

After Mab is summoned she thanks Demonreach.The obvious question is why didn't he?

Not necessarily. As long as Titania was either ignorant of Lily's part or believed she'd been talked into it by Maeve, ll Maeve had to do was make it look like her actions where a her mothers behest and Titania would probably assume Mab had gone rouge. That was her whole plan A for Dresden, make him think Mab was the one that had gone insane, no reason she couldn't be planning to try the same on Titania.

Mab and demonreach have much in common. He is there to keep the monsters locked in and she is there to keep the monsters locked out. They both understand duty and they did some bonding watching over Harry’s corpse. And Demonreach understands deals. It is much better to have Mab in your debt than to piss her off.

Doesn't track, the echoes aren't a result of the attack, their a result of the future in which the well IS breached. That means Demonreach would have to be willing to not take action even if it meant the well was breached.

The more likely answer is the old chestnut about the more power something has the more limited it's options. It likely couldn't take action without Harry's permission. And Harry didn't know enough about how the island worked or what it could do to use that. If he had he could probably have broken the circle and shut Maeve ad Lilly down in the first few seconds after he stepped ashore. I mean it's magic could see off a freaking Walker off and according to WoJ could even take Mab. Lilly and Maeve didn't really have a hope if it acted.
Possibly Ivy and Molly's biggest fan, i'm too chivalrous and kind for my own damm good. A bit like a certain Wizard we all know :).

Molly should get this shirt.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2018, 10:52:58 AM »
First a minor point.  Maeve shot a gun.
Not necessarily. As long as Titania was either ignorant of Lily's part or believed she'd been talked into it by Maeve, ll Maeve had to do was make it look like her actions where a her mothers behest and Titania would probably assume Mab had gone rouge. That was her whole plan A for Dresden, make him think Mab was the one that had gone insane, no reason she couldn't be planning to try the same on Titania.
If Lily had survived the event the balance of power would have not been altered.  No reason for the courts to throw down.  At least it doesn't seem to fit.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 11:09:20 AM »
She specifically says she setup someone nearby to receive the mantle, she even took Lilly out to kill Mabs obvious backup option. I think she was just out to spite her mother any way she could, and tearing the courts apart and undermining their purposes did that the only way she could.

Doesn't track, the echoes aren't a result of the attack, their a result of the future in which the well IS breached. That means Demonreach would have to be willing to not take action even if it meant the well was breached.
Demonreach understands that better than us, he had to dumb it down for Bob. He understood it was still just a potential future.
The more likely answer is the old chestnut about the more power something has the more limited it's options. It likely couldn't take action without Harry's permission. And Harry didn't know enough about how the island worked or what it could do to use that. If he had he could probably have broken the circle and shut Maeve ad Lilly down in the first few seconds after he stepped ashore. I mean it's magic could see off a freaking Walker off and according to WoJ could even take Mab. Lilly and Maeve didn't really have a hope if it acted.
It was attacked. If Mab said it could have acted differently I tend to believe her. But it knew Maeve belonged to Mab so it decided to wait for her.
SH[Elaine+++]

Wizard Sibelis

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 01:04:29 PM »
If Mab said it could have acted differently I tend to believe her. But it knew Maeve belonged to Mab so it decided to wait for her.
Erm, I feel certain it was to the sudden arrival within preprogrammed defenses of an entity directly summoned by the Warden.... how do you think the Warden adds new inmates? Activate spell form, summon creature that DR has standing orders to take below. Notice she only sets foot on the land after permission is given, and reacts like a finger lifted from a trigger. It was for herself she was worried in that moment.

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2018, 03:08:56 PM »
Ok, stupid question time...
Kringle said the Banefire would actually kill the inmates?
And its Halloween?

Was someone trying to Darkhallow the Island? 
You've got the fuel...  on a freaking epic level.
You've got a giant circle.
You've got the method of sacrifice.
I mean if the Darkhallow with the native spirits would have made a minor god...
This would have made someone who could rival... even Uriel's boss.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2018, 03:22:03 PM »
The Darkhallow appears to require a particular Necromantic set up that was not in evidence.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast