Author Topic: Messing with the Mouse?  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
Messing with the Mouse?
« on: August 05, 2018, 04:01:23 AM »
So one of the very few things I remember from copyright law is that the Golden Rule is “Don’t mess with the mouse.” (Ie, don’t tick off Disney.). I wonder if there has been push back regarding Butters and the lightsaber?  Skin Game predated TFA... and back then no one was likely to object, but maybe it’s different now?
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Messing with the Mouse?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 11:30:28 AM »
You cannot govern every use of a word or idea.  Star Wars and lightsabers have gotten so much into social awareness it is unavoidable.  They would have gone after Big Bang Theory years ago.  The Supreme Court has already ruled that parody is protected free speech.  Jim would only get in trouble (I think) if he tried to merchandise the Butters Lightsaber, or directly use one of their characters without permission.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 03:40:02 PM »
He's been very careful to avoid calling it a lightsaber regardless. Even then, it's perfectly acceptable under Fair Use (must be transformative, which this incarnation clearly is). So long as Luke Skywalker doesn't show up and hand him a lightsaber, saying, "This lightsaber belonged to my father, Anakin Skywalker. You probably know him as Darth Vader," and then flies off in an X-Wing, he's good.

Anywho, Butters's lightsaber isn't actually a lightsaber, it's a holy sword with one of the Nails from the Crucifixion that was broken and now manifests as a beam of light. I wish Disney all the luck in the world if they want to try to argue this particular case; I give it five minutes before a judge dismisses it.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 09:24:00 AM »
Disney is too busy firing people over 10 year old tweets.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 11:13:54 PM »
or tweets from when they were 10 years old.