Author Topic: Is Lara suborning the Paranet?  (Read 2238 times)

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Is Lara suborning the Paranet?
« on: August 04, 2018, 01:32:00 PM »
We haven’t seen Lara since Turn Coat.  In Cold Days Thomas mentions she is using tje the Paranet to organize and is going for “control”.  Has Lara taken control of the Paranet?
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Is Lara suborning the Paranet?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 07:32:32 PM »
Overtly ruling them would be contrary to the white court's value placed on manipulation. But the paranet are pretty dependent on WC muscle against the Fomor - that probably buys a lot of influence, besides the problem Harry noted that every time they call in help, Lara learns a little more about the paranet's organization.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 01:18:29 AM »
She's probably using it mainly for informational and positioning purposes, which is her style.

Keep tabs on what people are talking about and where they are; what problems they've got; then work to solve them, so that people start to depend on you and, eventually, start to owe you.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 04:46:25 AM »
I'm sure she'd love to, but whether or not it's happened yet, who knows?  She might be taking it slow and easy, and subtly.

Plus, right now, it doesn't seem like there's much benefit in being in control.  The Paranet as such isn't a huge threat, so their main value lies in the information they have and can get, and there's no need to control it to get that, just being in the loop is fine.  Unless they've already gone compartmentalized.  In which case being the one at the top of the pyramid would help a ton.

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 07:37:07 PM »
If I remember correctly, the paranet was organised via the internet. You don’t have to personally compromise anyone to know all, but rather hire IT expert or three to track and analyse everything. And, if they want to be riskier, they can use malware so they know everything and, at a critical moment, could take over the network.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 05:09:24 PM »
If I remember correctly, the paranet was organised via the internet. You don’t have to personally compromise anyone to know all, but rather hire IT expert or three to track and analyse everything. And, if they want to be riskier, they can use malware so they know everything and, at a critical moment, could take over the network.

Or, you know, just seduce a member or two and use their logins.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 05:20:57 PM »
You don't even need to do that. Lots of White Court vampires can pass as human. It's not like there's some registry of all minor talents in the world. Someone new comes to town, they find talents, and pose as one themselves. They could claim to be empaths or something, someone hypersensitive to emotion. Hang around for a while, and I'm sure they'd eventually be invited to join. Hell, arrange things so that they can warn a Paranet event that a Big Bad Vampire (or ghoul, or whatever) is coming to get them, and stage it so that the newcomer manages to save them all. Instant credibility and reliability.

Seriously, it'd take like two or three weeks of work and a few thousand dollars to get into a local Paranet group. The only danger would be if Wardens or a full wizard showed up, but that seems to be rare.