Author Topic: The entropy curse was pointed at Harry, not Maggie wag  (Read 2440 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
The entropy curse was pointed at Harry, not Maggie wag
« on: August 03, 2018, 05:04:43 AM »
Got the idea from Grave Peril....

Lea:  You would give your own life in place of theirs?
            She asked, her tone incredulous.
Dresden: yes
Lea: Why?
Dresden: Because no one else can do this.  They need me.  I owe it to them.
Lea:  Owe them your life?  You are mad Harry Dresden.  Perhaps it comes of your mother
Dresden:  What's that supposed to mean?
Lea:  She spoke as you do.  Near the end.

This is what I'm thinking.  The entropy curse was meant for Harry.  His mother made a deal with Lea to die in his place.  Could be mistaken of course.  What is your take on what Lea said about Maggie?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: The entropy curse was pointed at Harry, not Maggie wag
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »
How? He didn't exist yet so there was nothing to link the spell to him and he didn't even have a true name yet. The person who cast the curse didn't even seem to know he existed

For that matter, an entropy spell powered by an Outsider and a human sacrifice is kiiiiiiinda overkill to kill an infant.

If someone really, really wanted less-than-five-minutes-old Harry dead, there are so many easier ways to do it.

As for what Lea said? She said "near" the end, not "at" the end. Probably, she's referring to Maggie's change in viewpoint in the last years of her life, not literally her last words.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:14:11 PM by Mr. Death »
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 04:22:14 PM »
And how would she make a deal with Lea to die in his place?  She's got nothing to do with the curse, or, as far as we know, any way to affect it.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 05:11:38 PM »
I've seen disagreement but no alternative answers.  That information drop had meaning.  Harry's mother was willing to die to protect others, and had said so to Lea.  I don't see why she'd do so unless there was a deal being made.  I doubt she saw Lea as a trusted sister with whom she shares that kind of info.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 05:39:57 PM »
The alternative answer is that she trusted Lea enough to make her Harry's Godmother.  And we know that Lea can keep track of people without their knowledge, so even if Maggie didn't explicitly say so to Lea, as long as she said so to anyone when Lea might have been watching, she'd know.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 06:07:17 PM »
I've seen disagreement but no alternative answers.  That information drop had meaning.  Harry's mother was willing to die to protect others, and had said so to Lea.  I don't see why she'd do so unless there was a deal being made.  I doubt she saw Lea as a trusted sister with whom she shares that kind of info.
The alternative answer is simple: She was relating a general frame of mind that Maggie voiced, not a specific circumstance where Maggie said, "Kill me instead of Harry."
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 06:55:36 PM »
The alternative answer is that she trusted Lea enough to make her Harry's Godmother.  And we know that Lea can keep track of people without their knowledge, so even if Maggie didn't explicitly say so to Lea, as long as she said so to anyone when Lea might have been watching, she'd know.

Yeah and Jim said when Harry finds out about her deal with Harry's mom he's going to try to kill her.  I doubt she made her his godmother out of love and trust but out of a deal.

Wizard Sibelis

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 11:40:24 PM »
I'd personally find it more plausible she simply redirected it in the moment as Harry did with presumably the same curse in BR. But i'm open to the idea it was intended to kill Harry for an entirely different theorem of mine own.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 12:19:26 AM »
How? He didn't exist yet so there was nothing to link the spell to him and he didn't even have a true name yet. The person who cast the curse didn't even seem to know he existed

I'm not sure the entropy curse needs a blood / hair / name link like regular thaumatugry. Outsider magic might just be alien enough not to need it.

I'm not sure I buy it being directly targeted at Harry and Margaret dealt with Lea to die instead. But Raith might have been hoping to get Maggie Sr. before she could realize her angle on the breed-a-starborn plan.