Author Topic: Will the Big Moment Come in Peace Talks?  (Read 20103 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Will the Big Moment Come in Peace Talks?
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2018, 11:09:42 AM »
Mouse came into Harry's life around a year after he torched Bianca's place, though. If he was stained from burning a bunch of teenage vampire groupies who were unconscious but still alive, Morgan and the rest of the hardliners would have had plenty of time to notice it on him.

No, he came the same year... Remember Harry sitting on his sofa in pain from his badly burned hand listening to Eb with baby Mouse sitting next to him trying to give comfort..

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2018, 02:52:56 PM »
No, he came the same year... Remember Harry sitting on his sofa in pain from his badly burned hand listening to Eb with baby Mouse sitting next to him trying to give comfort..

Bianca != Mavra

Otherwise, yes, Mouse arrived during Blood Rites when Harry got burnt by Mavra's Renfield's flamethrower.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »
Bianca != Mavra
Watch out someone might see that as a challenge.

Throw in some time traveling and you can probably build a theory based on Bianca = Mavra

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2018, 07:38:47 PM »

Throw in some time traveling and you can probably build a theory based on Bianca = Mavra

What's both funny and sad is that that is an accurate statement :)

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2018, 10:19:07 PM »
You mean the accused has rights?. I don’t see any evidence for that. The Merlin fully expected Harry to have killed Molly in stead of calling Edinburgh and wasting everyone’s time.

Fair trial is not high on the list. If the accused usually does not get to say anything, has no formal defender, is blindfolded and can not understand what is going on because everything is said in a dead language you can not expect other considerations of fair trial to be high on the list.

And even Molly did not get a second soul gaze. Even when the Merlin did not trust Harry at all. The Merlin probably thought one soul gaze was already overkill. She was proven guilty, kill her and be done with it.
You asked “why should” there be more than one person essentially on the jury. Whatever the case with this organisation, I answered why there should be. :)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2018, 12:12:46 AM »
My opinion is that Rasid never said such a confrontation was going to occur.

What he said was "If you challenge the Council you will die." And when prompted as to why he cared said "It is not your hour"- A common expression used to say "you shouldn't die right now".

This is imo purely a response to the second half of the previous statement, not the first. AKA Rashid was intervening to stop Harry from getting his dumb ass killed.

The idea that Harry can/will take the Senior Council on has always been a bizarre reading of that conversation to my mind.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2018, 12:17:39 AM »

I mean the Black Court is capable of converting other Species of Vampire into one of their own...

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2018, 02:31:09 AM »
Quote from: forumghost
"It is not your hour"- A common expression used to say "you shouldn't die right now".
It's actually a paraphrase of a Bible quote, uttered by Christ. John 2.4. 
"Woman, what has this to do with me? My hour has not yet come."
Evidently referring to his Crucifixion.

The Gatekeeper seems to be conveniently always around to have something enigmatic to say. He pops up in some weird places. He's hob nobs with the Mothers and has pissed off Demonreach.  I smell a talking head.  Version 2.

It is almost certain that Harry will go head to head with some members of the Senior Council, assuming that the Black Council is represented there.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2018, 07:59:10 AM »
You asked “why should” there be more than one person essentially on the jury. Whatever the case with this organisation, I answered why there should be. :)
I should have asked why would  :)

Of course the white council is flawed in many ways.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2018, 02:16:21 AM »
It's actually a paraphrase of a Bible quote, uttered by Christ. John 2.4.  Evidently referring to his Crucifixion.
You know those books weren’t written in english, right?  That means the translator just used an existing phrase.  :P

Speaking of ancient stories and their translations, I absolutely love the Grene, Latimore english versions of Aeschylus and Sophocles. Some of the lines in Agamemnon are amazing.

And, on the figurative “hour” stuff, you have to love Yeats’ The second coming. As a member of the golden dawn, his verse was full of interesting imagery!
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2018, 03:20:09 AM »
You know those books weren’t written in english, right?  That means the translator just used an existing phrase.  :P
How do you think translation works?

Keeping in mind that we have the original Greek of the Bible, so we're not playing some eons-spanning game of telephone here.

Though, I do disagree with the general idea that the phrase refers to His crucifixion, given the context, I'm pretty sure He's talking about revealing Himself to the world.  Which could tie in with Harry's shenanigans in another way, if you like.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:25:44 AM by peregrine »

Offline Carl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2018, 07:22:14 AM »
You mean the accused has rights?. I don’t see any evidence for that. The Merlin fully expected Harry to have killed Molly in stead of calling Edinburgh and wasting everyone’s time.

Fair trial is not high on the list. If the accused usually does not get to say anything, has no formal defender, is blindfolded and can not understand what is going on because everything is said in a dead language you can not expect other considerations of fair trial to be high on the list.

And even Molly did not get a second soul gaze. Even when the Merlin did not trust Harry at all. The Merlin probably thought one soul gaze was already overkill. She was proven guilty, kill her and be done with it.

The merlin isn't free to do as he pleases, he has to pay attention to the other council members, (usually anyway), and not all of them are as dumb as he is.

It's actually a paraphrase of a Bible quote, uttered by Christ. John 2.4.  Evidently referring to his Crucifixion.

The Gatekeeper seems to be conveniently always around to have something enigmatic to say. He pops up in some weird places. He's hob nobs with the Mothers and has pissed off Demonreach.  I smell a talking head.  Version 2.

It is almost certain that Harry will go head to head with some members of the Senior Council, assuming that the Black Council is represented there.

Nah IMO the gatekeeper will become more important further down the line, but he needs pre-established characterisation first. Your probably not wrong that he's serving a bit of a talking head function in the process. But well, tropes are tools. In this case a period as a talking head to establish him is ok. The talking head issue only becomes an issue if all he ever does is provide info.
Possibly Ivy and Molly's biggest fan, i'm too chivalrous and kind for my own damm good. A bit like a certain Wizard we all know :).

Molly should get this shirt.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2018, 12:45:56 PM »
Yes, I'm aware that the Bible wasn't written in English.:)
Though, I do disagree with the general idea that the phrase refers to His crucifixion, given the context, I'm pretty sure He's talking about revealing Himself to the world.
My source implied otherwise, but since I care about the Bible only as it relates to the Dresedenverse, I have no strong opinion on the matter.

The Gatekeeper is as clear as mud in this case.  He in fact suggests that he is prepared to make Harry's death immediate.  Suggesting I suppose, that it is the lesser of two evils.
He shook his head. “Places in time. This is not the time, or the place. What you are about to do will cost lives—among them your own. I wish you no harm, young wizard. But if you will not surrender, so be it.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2018, 06:57:24 PM »
The merlin isn't free to do as he pleases, he has to pay attention to the other council members, (usually anyway), and not all of them are as dumb as he is.
Sure but that does not give rights to the accused just a possibility that someone else is a little bit less trigger happy.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2018, 01:32:10 AM »
How do you think translation works?
With license. The turn of phrase wasn’t invented for that series of stories. How many languages do you speak?  You don’t really translate things word for word.