Author Topic: Will the Big Moment Come in Peace Talks?  (Read 20117 times)

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Will the Big Moment Come in Peace Talks?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »
One point about Harry challenging the White Council while Winter Knight:  Mab would take a dim view on Harry using the power of Winter to attack a signatory of HER Accords.

Harry will have to either get out from under Mab, or prove that the Council violated the Accords and get Mab to allow it.

Offline Carl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2018, 01:20:20 PM »
@Ananda: The Laws of magic are about preventing black magic. If in the councils view it won't cause you to become stained with black magic they 100% don't care, (at leat as an organisation, individual members will have distinct views but the council as a whole will have no formal policy).

A wizard could go around using magic to rough people up and extract protection money and whilst a good piece of the White Council wouldn't approve as individual's, the Council as a whole wouldn't do a thing to stop them, it isn't against the Laws of magic and thus isn't there problem unless it threatens to splash back on them in some way, (like say getting the council put on an arrest on sight watchlist), that threatens them with retribution from someone else. Even then it would be about protecting the Council's continued existence, not about the actions that created said threat.

@Mira: Remember though we have a WoJ that actual Black Magic corruption doesn't care about intent or  accidents. The end effect is what counts. The Council also likely wouldn't care if they could be sure of what happened.
Possibly Ivy and Molly's biggest fan, i'm too chivalrous and kind for my own damm good. A bit like a certain Wizard we all know :).

Molly should get this shirt.

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2018, 07:11:04 PM »
@Ananda: The Laws of magic are about preventing black magic. If in the councils view it won't cause you to become stained with black magic they 100% don't care, (at leat as an organisation, individual members will have distinct views but the council as a whole will have no formal policy).

A wizard could go around using magic to rough people up and extract protection money and whilst a good piece of the White Council wouldn't approve as individual's, the Council as a whole wouldn't do a thing to stop them, it isn't against the Laws of magic and thus isn't there problem unless it threatens to splash back on them in some way, (like say getting the council put on an arrest on sight watchlist), that threatens them with retribution from someone else. Even then it would be about protecting the Council's continued existence, not about the actions that created said threat.
Right, I read that stuff in the books, too, but I was thinking more political expediency and manipulation of situation to get rid of people. Certainly, they’ve used politics and trickery to attempt certain ends within their laws before. There’s pure logic and then there’s cunning and manipulating a framework for a desired end.

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2018, 07:21:04 PM »
And heatwave yes. I could not sleep the night before but this night I was so tired that I just passed out.
It’s literally not cool how hot it’s been. 36 here midweek and swedish buildings are made for holding heat in like an oven. By night, it’s 30+ inside. At least I’m not in Portugal or Spain where I think I read it will be 46+ this week. My husband almost bought an ac for us in may, but decided against. Now, you can’t buy one in the whole country.

Offline Carl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2018, 08:22:33 PM »
As someone with a portable AC unit in my bedroom/computer room/hidey hole i can't give enough +1's to how nice it is to have in a heatwave. Been 34+ here for most of the last few weeks. I've spent most of it indoors in a cool 20c.

Also as far as manipulating it goes, again varies by individual. The senior Council and some of the more Senior wardens can to some degree impose their will on the way things are interpreted. So it's really messy as a whole.

Which is one of Harry's, and was one of his mothers problems with the whole system.
Possibly Ivy and Molly's biggest fan, i'm too chivalrous and kind for my own damm good. A bit like a certain Wizard we all know :).

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2018, 03:01:18 AM »
It’s literally not cool how hot it’s been. 36 here midweek and swedish buildings are made for holding heat in like an oven. By night, it’s 30+ inside. At least I’m not in Portugal or Spain where I think I read it will be 46+ this week. My husband almost bought an ac for us in may, but decided against. Now, you can’t buy one in the whole country.
Your heatwave is my normal weather. :'(  Of course AC is the rule here in the southern US, not the exception.  Stay cool.  If the humidity is low enough you might try a swamp cooler.  Oh yeah and use Mack's recipe for lemonade with lemonade ice.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2018, 03:17:40 AM »
Your heatwave is my normal weather. :'(  Of course AC is the rule here in the southern US, not the exception.  Stay cool.  If the humidity is low enough you might try a swamp cooler.  Oh yeah and use Mack's recipe for lemonade with lemonade ice.
Those climates are not meant for human habitation and were only colonized after the invention of ac, we however live since time immemorial in a temperate climate and we did not need those ugly blobs on the top of our houses, we don’t have flat tops on our houses either traditionally.

But all those ac’s caused global warming and so the problem spread to holland and apparently even Scandinavia. We used to have only a few hot days a year now it is weeks.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Carl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2018, 03:34:41 AM »

Yeah but i doubt you get lows of -5 most years either in the winter, and snow is that weird stuff that happens to other people.

Those climates are not meant for human habitation and were only colonized after the invention of ac, we however live since time immemorial in a temperate climate and we did not need those ugly blobs on the top of our houses, we don’t have flat tops on our houses either traditionally.

But all those ac’s caused global warming and so the problem spread to holland and apparently even Scandinavia. We used to have only a few hot days a year now it is weeks.

Mines a portable stick a pipe out the window job, a bit bulky for my small room, (okay a lot bulky), but no flat roof or big thing on top of the house required.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2018, 05:18:40 AM »
Yeah but i doubt you get lows of -5 most years either in the winter, and snow is that weird stuff that happens to other people.

Mines a portable stick a pipe out the window job, a bit bulky for my small room, (okay a lot bulky), but no flat roof or big thing on top of the house required.
A neighbor attached one on the front of his house clearly visibly from the street and he had to remove it after people complained. It was an eyesore.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2018, 05:50:14 AM »
Yeah, given the information in CD that Fae can ignore thresholds when coming in for benevolent purposes, I think it probably was Mab -- specifically, Mab acting in Lea's place (since she was preventing Lea from fulfilling her obligations), and coming in from the NN through Lea's garden.

As for the Calvin and Hobbes book, I prefer the theory that it was a subtle hint about the hobs that were about to show up. Since they're Winter, that also points to Mab, IMO. (And against future-Harry, since it didn't actually end up being a helpful hint, and future-Harry would have known that and not bothered.)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2018, 04:07:24 PM »
I think the Big Moment won't come in Peace Talks, not till after Body Slam. I've always figured it would be Harry coming to the Council with evidence of wrongdoing, and them playing political games to avoid it.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2018, 05:05:54 PM »
As for the deaths at Biancas, I imagine that it's chalked up to them not knowing who, if anyone, actually was killed by the fire vs already dead.  Though given the grudge some folks held against him, you'd think they'd try a bit harder to look into it.

Bianca probably had the bodies disposed of before the council were aware of what had happened there. Later books show the Wardens aren't actually as all-knowing and all-powerful as early Harry's fears make them out to be.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2018, 05:13:38 PM »
Bianca probably had the bodies disposed of before the council were aware of what had happened there. Later books show the Wardens aren't actually as all-knowing and all-powerful as early Harry's fears make them out to be.
If he stood there for murder with magic they had to kill him but the vampires wanted him alive.

Ok, that is a conspiracy theory and why use a conspiracy theory if laziness, stupidity and cowardice explain the facts as well?
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Carl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2018, 08:40:53 PM »

We know from death masks that she didn't, Butters did the autopsy's. Harry got off because no one, not even butters could determine how most of the actual human remains died.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2018, 11:20:41 PM »
We know from death masks that she didn't, Butters did the autopsy's. Harry got off because no one, not even butters could determine how most of the actual human remains died.

I was thinking of after the coroner stage. Although I suppose Bianca personally might have been dead before Butters was done with them.

The Red Court hierarchy would have had an incentive to claim the bodies and dispose of them before anyone could double-check Butters' work and notice that hey, he's got a point after all.