Author Topic: How big was the Boarding House?  (Read 8991 times)

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
How big was the Boarding House?
« on: July 24, 2018, 09:34:31 PM »
Really, for it to fit a relocated castle after it burned wouldn’t it have to be fricking huge? 
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: How big was the Boarding House?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 10:24:15 PM »
Really, for it to fit a relocated castle after it burned wouldn’t it have to be fricking huge?

An old Victorian Mansion would be big enough, especially if it was one that survived the Great Chicago Fire..   Some of the ones built by the meat packing kings etc were huge..   It was also surrounded by a lot, so that could have been covered over as well.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 10:27:00 PM »
Okay, that plus the yard makes sense.  But, if Harry’s apartment took up the full basement... he always complained about how small it was.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 11:52:52 PM »
A basement isn't necessarily the entire footprint of a building.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 07:15:51 AM »
A basement isn't necessarily the entire footprint of a building.
Harry's apartment probably wasn't the whole basement, just a portion that was turned into an apartment is another possibility.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 11:40:16 AM »
Harry's apartment probably wasn't the whole basement, just a portion that was turned into an apartment is another possibility.

That is a real possibility, plus consider the size of Harry's lab, which originally must have been the root cellar, it was huge by root cellar standards..

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 12:27:13 PM »
That would make sense.  In other towns where Ive seen them carve up old buildings for boarding houses, they do make use of any hole or closet and call it square-footage. 

Also a lot of the medieval castles were downright tiny by the more mythological standards we (or rather I) have been exposed to, via Disney mostly.  This one was four stories tall which wouldnt have to be that sprawling. 

Looking back at the initial description, I want to know the details of the Gargoyles on the place.  We all know Marcone would not bother with Just Stone. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 04:06:56 PM »
Quantus,

That would make sense.  In other towns where Ive seen them carve up old buildings for boarding houses, they do make use of any hole or closet and call it square-footage. 

Also a lot of the medieval castles were downright tiny by the more mythological standards we (or rather I) have been exposed to, via Disney mostly.  This one was four stories tall which wouldnt have to be that sprawling. 

Looking back at the initial description, I want to know the details of the Gargoyles on the place.  We all know Marcone would not bother with Just Stone.

I suppose a small castle on a big lot makes sense.  Otherwise it would have been phyisically impossible to get the castle moved and built in 6 months.

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 01:10:06 PM »
Quantus,

I suppose a small castle on a big lot makes sense.  Otherwise it would have been phyisically impossible to get the castle moved and built in 6 months.
eh, very little is physically impossible when money is no object.  It could be done (by a billionaire) even in the real world (You'd be amazed at what Ive seen thrown up during the 10-day yearly shutdown some of these plants and mills do all their maintenance in).  For a stacked-stone structure the real bottleneck is the physical transportation of the material (deep-sea shipping and customs delay) but Id say there's even odds that Marcone arranged for NN transportation. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 05:38:42 PM »
I have some doubts about the ability to take apart such a structure, from a standing start in such a short  period of time.  Shipping might not be an issue. My guess is that you could land the castle in Chicago, direct from anywhere since you have access to the Atlantic directly.  The problem would be taking it apart without breaking it, and indexing so you could reconstruct it. If you're interested some enterprising group is building a small castle in France. https://www.guedelon.fr/en/introduction_75.html  Of course magic.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 08:39:09 PM »
I have some doubts about the ability to take apart such a structure, from a standing start in such a short  period of time.  Shipping might not be an issue. My guess is that you could land the castle in Chicago, direct from anywhere since you have access to the Atlantic directly.  The problem would be taking it apart without breaking it, and indexing so you could reconstruct it. If you're interested some enterprising group is building a small castle in France. https://www.guedelon.fr/en/introduction_75.html  Of course magic.

Well, someone bought a London Bridge made of stone took it apart and shipped it to Arizona and put it up over a man made lake in the middle of the desert..

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 08:52:44 PM »
   Well, someone bought a London Bridge made of stone took it apart and shipped it to Arizona and put it up over a man made lake in the middle of the desert..
Well, to be fair it sounds like that one actually just used the original stone to facade over modernized concrete structure.

What Marcone was /wanting/ to do was this:

Which makes sense in light of Marcone, Morgan, and Murphy all having inspiration taken from that show.  Makes me really think there was some magic significance to it like in the show, either the castle itself provides different protections, he was trying to control the NN side, or maybe like the show it satisfied some magic spell condition. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 09:00:59 PM »
Who knows, maybe Marcone will get Gard to work out some levitation runes, raise it over the clouds and see if anything wakes up.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 09:07:12 PM »
Who knows, maybe Marcone will get Gard to work out some levitation runes, raise it over the clouds and see if anything wakes up.
You know, all joking aside it DOES mention that there are tonnes of gargoyles on the thing, getting more and more ugle as you go up.  Historically those are supposed to be supernatural guardians, I wonder if his are similarly legit in some fashion (He's not the sort to decorate like that without purpose)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Wizard Sibelis

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 01:14:36 AM »
Makes me really think there was some magic significance to it like in the show, either the castle itself provides different protections, he was trying to control the NN side, or maybe like the show it satisfied some magic spell condition.
If you notice, the first thing I always point out that connects Marcone to Arthur is his dual Christian and Celtic overtones, especially in FM were Harry mentions the church on his property was moved their stone by stone too. Marcone has a flair for it apparently, which is not to say it's not all kinds of significant.