Author Topic: Jim Q and A in VA 6-9-18  (Read 6848 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Jim Q and A in VA 6-9-18
« on: June 14, 2018, 08:09:55 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLOH6GkVGp4

Don't know if this was posted already or not.  Interesting that Jim here says that the "Die alone" death curse didn't count in Changes because he didn't actually die while I thought in the past he said that it did?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Q and A in VA 6-9-18
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 08:21:44 PM »
He said he escaped part of the death curse.  So some part of the Die Alone death curse completed with ending of Changes. The complete death curse isn't finished.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 08:24:25 PM »

If he was only mostly dead, which means he was slightly alive, ergo, the curse "die alone,"  doesn't mean anything because he didn't die..

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 03:48:27 AM »

If he was only mostly dead, which means he was slightly alive, ergo, the curse "die alone,"  doesn't mean anything because he didn't die..

Yeah I know but I'm almost positive Jim in the past said "The curse was to die alone, and Harry died alone so the curse has been fulfilled".  I could be remembering it wrong but i think he did say it.

Oh well moot point now lol
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 12:29:30 PM »
He said something to that effect but held out for a two part to the curse.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 07:44:29 PM »
Perhaps we are looking at the words from the wrong angle.  What if die alone meant that as long as Harry is alive, he will subconsciously push away everyone.  The death curse could have been a psychic assault meant to slightly reprogram Harry into being a loner.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 07:52:20 PM »
Perhaps we are looking at the words from the wrong angle.  What if die alone meant that as long as Harry is alive, he will subconsciously push away everyone.  The death curse could have been a psychic assault meant to slightly reprogram Harry into being a loner.
Which is pretty much what he did for a while. It's not until Skin Game that he starts resenting his solitude (though that's understandable).

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 09:48:30 PM »
Actually, Vadderung points it out in Cold Days that he spent much of the time regrouping with friend prior to the job.  So it would make sense the alone bit likely lost its effectiveness after he 'died' in Changes.  Now it might just be die, of which we all do.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:50:31 PM by raidem »

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 10:00:02 PM »
I think the real problem is He didn't really know what he was trying to curse him with... He said it in spite so that he wouldn't die holding a coin, but also on other levels so he would feel the same loneliness he himself felt over the years and the bitter regret he felt at the particular moment. So the curse is less a specific thing and more a nebulas idea charged full of malcontent and negative emotions.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 02:36:56 PM »
Yeah I know but I'm almost positive Jim in the past said "The curse was to die alone, and Harry died alone so the curse has been fulfilled".  I could be remembering it wrong but i think he did say it.

Oh well moot point now lol

Well, it was kind of a crappie curse to begin with..  As Harry's dad pointed out to him in his dream, paraphrasing, "everyone walks through that door alone," but on the other side he has loved ones waiting for him..   

I cannot remember but was Cassius even a wizard?  If he isn't then the curse wouldn't have real power behind it except for the psychological effect on a guy like Harry who had felt alone for most of his life.  Here is another thought, it may not have been a curse directed at Harry at all but Cassius expressing his own curse....  For Cassius died alone, in the sense that he died unloved and no one would mourn his passing...   In contrast for the short period that it was assumed that Harry was dead, he was missed and mourned by many, Thomas and his many friends held his memory in their hearts, he'd never be alone.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 03:07:35 PM »
Cassius was a wizard and Harry felt the dead curse clamping on him.the curse was real.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 03:50:43 PM »
Cassius was a wizard and Harry felt the dead curse clamping on him.the curse was real.

It was a rather crappy curse though..

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 04:19:36 PM »
Cassius wasn't a wizard. He was a minor sorcerer who's knowledge and skill were honed over centuries (millenia?) to make him relatively dangerous, and allow him to send a minor death curse. It took though, Harry felt it take.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 04:29:26 PM »
  It was a rather crappy curse though..
Not the most impressive death curse in the books, that prize goes to Harry’s Mother’s, but still a death curse.

Cassius wasn't a wizard. He was a minor sorcerer who's knowledge and skill were honed over centuries (millenia?) to make him relatively dangerous, and allow him to send a minor death curse. It took though, Harry felt it take.
That is pretty subjective but I think that a death curse like a soul gaze is wizard territory.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:57:58 PM by Arjan »
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 09:08:26 PM »

I didn't think he was,  he may have learned some magic but more along the lines that almost everyone can so some magic, i.e. Butters and Thomas, but that doesn't make them wizards, not even close...