Author Topic: WAG.... Murphy has moved on  (Read 64646 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: WAG.... Murphy has moved on
« Reply #225 on: June 25, 2018, 04:11:19 AM »
Nah, Ebenezer specifically said he did something that should help Harry's bloodflow in the hand in addition to helping with the pain.

Going by the examples in the RPG's rulebook, it seems that most magical healing doesn't do much more than start or maybe slightly speed up the normal healing process. Any kind of "instant fix" is in the realm of sponsored magics, like Summer.

Makes me wonder if Listen to Wind would have a Summer Mantle.  He being a healer, and being big on protecting nature seems like a natural fit for him.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 25, 2018, 04:48:10 AM »
Also Elaine did some magical healing stuff, using Reiki to move energy around or somesuch, in White Night.

Offline Hagbard Celine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 25, 2018, 07:34:38 AM »

Well, Murphy would make a good Summer Knight, hehe.
Never Whistle While You're Pissing!

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 25, 2018, 09:06:13 AM »
Makes me wonder if Listen to Wind would have a Summer Mantle.  He being a healer, and being big on protecting nature seems like a natural fit for him.
... as short as he is I'd laugh if he was secretly EG. I'm still partial to Shakespear, but LTW would make an ironic donut scene too.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #229 on: June 25, 2018, 02:02:06 PM »
It seems to fit, but from the descriptions we have, I wouldn't be sure. For one, he apparently has to keep going to medical school to keep up, which is consistent with regular wizardry "healing," which requires that you know what you're doing, as opposed to Summer Magic healing, in which the sponsor does all the hard work.

Also Elaine did some magical healing stuff, using Reiki to move energy around or somesuch, in White Night.
Yeah, that's the clearest basis for an example in the DFRPG books -- with the caveat that it only works on certain types of injuries (mainly blunt trauma -- it won't make wounds close any faster, and even then, only up to a certain severity).

The sense I've gotten is that magical healing basically does what mundane medicine can, only different and sometimes slightly faster.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 25, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »
Nah, Ebenezer specifically said he did something that should help Harry's bloodflow in the hand in addition to helping with the pain.

Going by the examples in the RPG's rulebook, it seems that most magical healing doesn't do much more than start or maybe slightly speed up the normal healing process. Any kind of "instant fix" is in the realm of sponsored magics, like Summer.
I remember now, thanks.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 25, 2018, 03:10:36 PM »
It seems to fit, but from the descriptions we have, I wouldn't be sure. For one, he apparently has to keep going to medical school to keep up, which is consistent with regular wizardry "healing," which requires that you know what you're doing, as opposed to Summer Magic healing, in which the sponsor does all the hard work.
Yeah, that's the clearest basis for an example in the DFRPG books -- with the caveat that it only works on certain types of injuries (mainly blunt trauma -- it won't make wounds close any faster, and even then, only up to a certain severity).

The sense I've gotten is that magical healing basically does what mundane medicine can, only different and sometimes slightly faster.
There is probably some black magic trick that makes you heal really fast. Something with human sacrifice probably :-)
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 25, 2018, 04:57:07 PM »

Yeah but even Summer seems to work in deals and stuff like that.  Any healing he did with the Summer Mantle would require something in return where him using his medical, and magical knowledge wouldn't.  Come to think of it if he does have a Mantle of power (which I'm thinking he does) it may be more aligned with Native American lore and not associated with the Sidhe.  He's probably too smart to get tangled up with that crew.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 25, 2018, 05:11:51 PM »
Another possibility worth considering is that even the Summer Healing may require the conscious, practical knowledge of what you are fiddling with before it will work, and the only reason the Fae are good at it is that they are not restricted by all those pesky Laws against using magic to manipulate the bodies of others.  It has better PR but Healing Magic (especially the water-based stuff as I understand it) is the same 1/2 step from Law Breaking that Ectomancy, Chronomancy, and Neuromancy all are, which is to say they make the Council verrry nervous even if they are useful.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #234 on: June 25, 2018, 05:52:10 PM »
Another possibility worth considering is that even the Summer Healing may require the conscious, practical knowledge of what you are fiddling with before it will work, and the only reason the Fae are good at it is that they are not restricted by all those pesky Laws against using magic to manipulate the bodies of others.  It has better PR but Healing Magic (especially the water-based stuff as I understand it) is the same 1/2 step from Law Breaking that Ectomancy, Chronomancy, and Neuromancy all are, which is to say they make the Council verrry nervous even if they are useful.
Not according to the write-up in the RPG. That, at least, makes it pretty clear that healing is a part of Summer and Winter magics because the sponsor is doing the leg-work for you as far as medical knowledge goes. That's basically the entire advantage to healing through that magic instead of normal mortal magic.

You're not far off about it being transformative, though. It is in the same school of magic as 2nd-law-breaking spells, though the fact you're just fixing things lets it slide, I think.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 25, 2018, 07:01:39 PM »
Not according to the write-up in the RPG. That, at least, makes it pretty clear that healing is a part of Summer and Winter magics because the sponsor is doing the leg-work for you as far as medical knowledge goes. That's basically the entire advantage to healing through that magic instead of normal mortal magic.

You're not far off about it being transformative, though. It is in the same school of magic as 2nd-law-breaking spells, though the fact you're just fixing things lets it slide, I think.
That's what I meant: even if it is a fae handling the magic, the magic still requires a guiding intellect that understands the changes needed and directs the magic accordingly.  Even if it is Sponsored Magic, there is still a requirement for somebody to actually have hte knowledge; there is no free lunch magic that could, for example, heal an alien with unknown physiology. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #236 on: June 25, 2018, 08:13:41 PM »
That's what I meant: even if it is a fae handling the magic, the magic still requires a guiding intellect that understands the changes needed and directs the magic accordingly.  Even if it is Sponsored Magic, there is still a requirement for somebody to actually have hte knowledge; there is no free lunch magic that could, for example, heal an alien with unknown physiology.
Oh, I thought you were saying that, for instance, if Harry picked up Summer Magic and wanted to use it to heal, Harry would have to have the medical knowledge. My mistake.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 25, 2018, 09:50:25 PM »
Oh, I thought you were saying that, for instance, if Harry picked up Summer Magic and wanted to use it to heal, Harry would have to have the medical knowledge. My mistake.
No worries, I wasnt as clear as Id hoped. The main distinction I had in mind was comparing it to things like Cosmere healing (been spending time on the Brandon Sanderson subreddit) where healing more typically abotu pouring power in to the person which restores their bodies to it's former self based on some combination of platonic ideal and your own self-image. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 25, 2018, 10:12:30 PM »
If Harry were to try to heal someone, he probably would want to have the medical knowledge.  I don't know that I'd want Winter (or Summer, for that matter) making the decision in just HOW I'm healed.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 25, 2018, 10:18:58 PM »
Oh my... I just had a odd thought about butters and his newfound abilities... he knows the human body atl...
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.