Author Topic: WAG.... Murphy has moved on  (Read 65264 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: WAG.... Murphy has moved on
« Reply #210 on: June 23, 2018, 09:57:01 PM »
Wow.  I know first hand the battle with a mental illness.  It isn't fun.

I actually made some strides in finding out partially what is behind mine at least. Of course this is off topic but I hit my head during a swim meet when I was 16.  I had mental breakdown at 19 due to OCD with computer games.  But recently, I went to neurologist who in her infinitely wisdom had me go through a sleep study.  She found sleep apnea, both obstructive and central apneas with severe oxygen desaturations as low as 83%.  So, I've had a chronic apnea problem for some time, possibly due to me hitting my head.  I go back to see my neurologist early next month. 

The other peculiarities with the sleep study is I had no stage 3 sleep and I had a high Rest Disturbance Index of 17. I'm going to be getting a BIPAP to help me breath better at night.  Hopefully that will help.  I've had insomnia for a very long time so I'm thinking some of these apneas most likely go back to when I was 16 and I'm 38 now.  I'll point out that the obstructive apneas are airway blockages whereas central apneas are a glitch between/in central nervous system and respiratory muscles.

So now, maybe some of my crazy theories and behavior at times previously should be viewed through the lens of a psychiatric patient who has chronic oxygen desaturations.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 10:01:17 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 24, 2018, 05:43:20 AM »
Wow.  I know first hand the battle with a mental illness.  It isn't fun.

I actually made some strides in finding out partially what is behind mine at least. Of course this is off topic but I hit my head during a swim meet when I was 16.  I had mental breakdown at 19 due to OCD with computer games.  But recently, I went to neurologist who in her infinitely wisdom had me go through a sleep study.  She found sleep apnea, both obstructive and central apneas with severe oxygen desaturations as low as 83%.  So, I've had a chronic apnea problem for some time, possibly due to me hitting my head.  I go back to see my neurologist early next month. 

The other peculiarities with the sleep study is I had no stage 3 sleep and I had a high Rest Disturbance Index of 17. I'm going to be getting a BIPAP to help me breath better at night.  Hopefully that will help.  I've had insomnia for a very long time so I'm thinking some of these apneas most likely go back to when I was 16 and I'm 38 now.  I'll point out that the obstructive apneas are airway blockages whereas central apneas are a glitch between/in central nervous system and respiratory muscles.

So now, maybe some of my crazy theories and behavior at times previously should be viewed through the lens of a psychiatric patient who has chronic oxygen desaturations.

I am glad you made it though all of that...  JMS  respected Michael O'Hare's privacy so no one knew the truth.  The word was put out that he was dropped because the network didn't think he was a big enough star, that the ratings would be better with someone else.  I was hooked on the show from the beginning, and was really angry when he was dropped, as were a lot of fans.  A few years ago there was a web site called The Babylon 5 that never was, it more or less gave out the original arc for the story which made much more sense considering the foreshadowing in season one.  But yeah, way off topic..

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 24, 2018, 12:19:07 PM »
Well.  Who knows, there is that guy in Cold Days that fed the Paranet the clues about the boats.  He lives at home with his mom I think. He operates out of the basement.  I think it is said he has a mental illness.  Maybe he has undiagnosed sleep apnea as well.

If Dresden Files is going to be similar to the real world, there will be people with mental illness and with sleep apnea, whose behaviors are touched by oxygen desaturations at night :).  I mean after all those head injuries, one would wonder if Harry doesn't have some sort of mild traumatic brain injury and sleep apnea to go with it.  Same can be said for Cowl or other Wardens engaged in war.  We have many veterans coming back from wars overseas with traumatic brain injuries and mental illnesses associated with either the stress and/or the head injury.  The wardens most likely have had injuries either PTSD or direct injuries to their head; therefore it is likely they too experience mental illnesses and sleep apneas as well.  It is a dangerous combination with their combat abilities.  I mean it is comparable to putting a gun in the hands of mental ill patient undergoing active psychosis.  It isn't a safe thing to do.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:25:10 PM by raidem »

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 24, 2018, 12:53:59 PM »
Well.  Who knows, there is that guy in Cold Days that fed the Paranet the clues about the boats.  He lives at home with his mom I think. He operates out of the basement.  I think it is said he has a mental illness.  Maybe he has undiagnosed sleep apnea as well.

If Dresden Files is going to be similar to the real world, there will be people with mental illness and with sleep apnea, whose behaviors are touched by oxygen desaturations at night :).  I mean after all those head injuries, one would wonder if Harry doesn't have some sort of mild traumatic brain injury and sleep apnea to go with it.  Same can be said for Cowl or other Wardens engaged in war.  We have many veterans coming back from wars overseas with traumatic brain injuries and mental illnesses associated with either the stress and/or the head injury.  The wardens most likely have had injuries either PTSD or direct injuries to their head; therefore it is likely they too experience mental illnesses and sleep apneas as well.  It is a dangerous combination with their combat abilities.  I mean it is comparable to putting a gun in the hands of mental ill patient undergoing active psychosis.  It isn't a safe thing to do.

I think cumulative head trauma is very common among athletes who play contact sports.  Those who play football also tend to be very large, which seems to if not cause sleep apnea, aggravate it, there is increasing evidence that this causes  a form of dementia as well other forms mental illness..   I think this is a problem that is only going to grow in the coming years.. As to a certain wizard we all know and love, he has had a lot of head injury, however he isn't overweight as far as we know, so who knows, he may have sleep apnea...

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 24, 2018, 01:29:35 PM »
well there is a distinction between obstructive sleep apnea and central apnea. From the little I've looked into it, obstructive is things that obstruct the airway. So, this would most likely be because of weight issues, circumference of neck, contour of air passages, etc.  Central apnea however signifies some glitch within/between CNS and respiratory muscles.  So, I think head trauma can very well damage parts of the CNS involved in respiration.  I think this was my case. I'm sure however there are other causes of central apnea but I tend to believe that it is associated directly with that hit on the head during the swim meet.  Or if not directly then at least indirectly, via post susceptibility to illness, medication to treat mental illness caused or exacerbated by head injury, etc...Or, it may be something genetic.

My aunt has cerebral palsy. She had cerebral hemorrhage around time of birth, it is believed. My grandparents believe it to be associated with Forceps.  Anyways, there might be a connection there with central apnea, or not.  She never learned to speak.  I learned to speak later at around age of mid 3's.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 01:33:47 PM by raidem »

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 24, 2018, 03:52:41 PM »
What role would wizard healing play, though?  Specifically with brain trauma?  It's been suggested that wizards might heal injuries that normal humans don't heal from. 

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 24, 2018, 04:51:57 PM »
What role would wizard healing play, though?  Specifically with brain trauma?  It's been suggested that wizards might heal injuries that normal humans don't heal from.

One would think, but remember when Harry was having all those headaches, neither he nor Butters dismissed it because wizard healing would make it okay... Perhaps eventually, but remember when he broke his back?  Yes, Uriel, I believe said his spine would heal because he is a wizard, but it might take forty years.. That is a long time to suffer, and even wizards need medical attention, He Who Listens to Wind is a medical doctor, he treats wizards with both magical cures and conventional ones.  So yes, they do heal from things vanilla humans usually don't and faster, but they are not completely immune to injury or illness that can kill or cripple them without outside medical aid.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 24, 2018, 04:59:16 PM »
Not to add to that, but why have we never seen Harry get magical medical attention when he gets banged up? Which is at least once a year. Always at home, always Butters because either he doesn't want to mess with the IC machines or because he doesn't want the gunshot wounds reported.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #218 on: June 24, 2018, 05:46:29 PM »
Not to add to that, but why have we never seen Harry get magical medical attention when he gets banged up? Which is at least once a year. Always at home, always Butters because either he doesn't want to mess with the IC machines or because he doesn't want the gunshot wounds reported.
We have. In blood rites Eb uses something to help him keep his hand and Harry's in the white council infirmary at the end of turn coat
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 24, 2018, 06:23:32 PM »
We have. In blood rites Eb uses something to help him keep his hand and Harry's in the white council infirmary at the end of turn coat
In blood rites Eb uses something to stop the pain. He did nothing for the hand whatsoever.
And in Turncoat, well. He was incapacitated in the freaking headquarters.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 24, 2018, 06:46:20 PM »
In blood rites Eb uses something to stop the pain. He did nothing for the hand whatsoever.

The bracelet helped with the pain but didn't Eb rub some sort of cream all over the hand as well?  I don't remember but thought he did.  As for why he doesn't always use magical medication.  My guess would be that just like only one person on the Council can make enchanted swords, magical medicine is probably rare to come by and only specific people like LtW can even make it.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 24, 2018, 06:52:45 PM »
I would hope that wardens suffering from PTSD and other things that could contribute to experience-based trauma would receive some treatment from the Council's medical corps.

That kind of treatment, combined with their natural healing abilities, could help a wizard recover after a few years.  Faster, if they'd research mental magic in the name of medical aide.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 24, 2018, 06:54:18 PM »
I would hope that wardens suffering from PTSD and other things that could contribute to experience-based trauma would receive some treatment from the Council's medical corps.

That kind of treatment, combined with their natural healing abilities, could help a wizard recover after a few years.  Faster, if they'd research mental magic in the name of medical aide.

According to Jim Eb is protected from being corrupted but he still has all the nightmares and things associated with killing.  Fortunately for wizards time heals wounds and they have more of it than most.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 24, 2018, 06:58:16 PM »

I think he did receive some in the infirmary fro HLWs at the end of Turn Coat.
The bracelet helped with the pain but didn't Eb rub some sort of cream all over the hand as well?  I don't remember but thought he did.  As for why he doesn't always use magical medication.  My guess would be that just like only one person on the Council can make enchanted swords, magical medicine is probably rare to come by and only specific people like LtW can even make it.
That too.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #224 on: June 25, 2018, 02:36:33 AM »
Nah, Ebenezer specifically said he did something that should help Harry's bloodflow in the hand in addition to helping with the pain.

Going by the examples in the RPG's rulebook, it seems that most magical healing doesn't do much more than start or maybe slightly speed up the normal healing process. Any kind of "instant fix" is in the realm of sponsored magics, like Summer.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast